Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sooty again x

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Hieland, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hieland

Hieland PetForums Junior

Good morning all.. Just after a bit more advice.. As I put in a pevious post.. Last Friday the 8th my vet scanned sooty as said she is 7weeks pregnant.. My question is could she be futher on than 7 weeks or are the scan accurate to the day? I really appreciate all the advice x

2. tellingtails

tellingtails PetForums VIP

Here is some great information for you on Scans from
    Pet-Informed - complete, practical, free veterinary advice for pet owners..

As you will see from the information a Scan is an approxiamate guide to the duration of the Pregnancy based on a few calculated facters.But in summary there are many factors that hinder it being 100% accurate, the position of the Kittens, they can be curled up, moving also litter size all have an overall bearing on the estimation of age.Hope you find the info helpful and Goodluck with your upcoming litter:):):)

Fetal aging using ultrasound:
    The crown-rump lengths (the distance from the head to the bottom of the pelvis) of the fetal kittens are often able to be detected on ultrasound scan. As kittens grow in utero, their bodies become longer (i.e. the crown-rump length increases). The crown-rump length of the kittens' bodies can help the ultrasonographer to determine the approximate age of the fetuses present in utero (i.e. the stage of cat pregnancy). Fetal lengths as they are used for the purposes of fetal kitten aging and cat gestation staging are described in our great "stages of feline pregnancy" page.

The main problem with using fetal kitten crown-rump-length estimations as a means of fetal aging is the fact that the fetal kittens do not always position themselves neatly in a straight line. They curl up into balls, mould themselves around other nearby kittens or abdominal organs and, in the later stages of cat pregnancy, they move about. This can make it very difficult to determine their body lengths with any accuracy. For this reason, many ultrasonographers choose to measure the cross-sectional diameter of the kittens' heads and chests, rather than their crown-rump lengths, as a more accurate marker of fetal age. For example, kittens with a head diameter of 1.6cm have about 3 weeks of uterine growth left to go before they are born. In the second and third trimesters of pregnancy (i.e. a gestation age of 3 weeks onwards), each subsequent week of fetal growth, either way, seems to involve a change of approximately 0.3cm in the head diameter (e.g. a kitten with a head diameter of 1.3cm has about 4 weeks to go; a kitten with a head diameter of 1.9cm has about 2 weeks to go, a kitten with a head diameter of 2.2cm has about a week to go and so on).

The fetal heart beat also provides us with another element of fetal aging. A fetal heart beat can normally only be detected from 22-25 days of cat gestation age and, so, the detection of a heartbeat tells us that the kitten must be at least 22 days old, developmentally.
    Subjectively, I have found that the presence or absence of surrounding placental fluids also helps to indicate the gestation age of the fetal kittens. Kittens that are within about 2 weeks of being born (very late pregnancy) tend to have little to no surrounding fluid present in the amniotic and allantoic sacs encasing their bodies. It seems that, in dogs and cats, this surrounding fluid is reabsorbed back into the mother's body in the very last weeks of pregnancy. Hence the very late stage fetal kitten does not appear to have a halo of black fluid (black regions on ultrasound) surrounding it. In mid-gestation, there is generally a lot of fluid surrounding the foetal kittens.

Please note: Kitten sizes and uterine-swelling sizes can vary somewhat with the number of kittens present in the litter. Larger litters tend to have smaller kittens and smaller uterine swellings than might be expected for the stage of cat pregnancy that they are at. This can add an element of inaccuracy to the use of fetal crown-rump lengths and fetal head and chest diameters as a means of gauging fetal age and the stage of cat pregnancy.

Attached Files:

Gratch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice