UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Haven't been on this forum for a good while, but we lost the last of three beloved cats three months ago. We've now come to the point where I can't bear to be in a petless home any more, so will be bringing home a beautiful boy cat called Sonny from the RSPCA at the beginning of November. He's come from an awful home and has suffered great stress, causing him to pull all his hair out if he has any changes in his routine. He's therefore been overlooked for homing previously and been sat there since April 2012. We've fallen in love with him, and he is pleased to see us when we visit, climbing all over us. I'll be replenishing the feliwell diffuser, and trying to make the transition as painless as I can. However, we've been warned that he's not used to cat baskets, cars etc and that he will probably be traumatised by the time we get him home. Now, I saw a fascinating programme some time back about cats and it featured a "Cat symphony" that had been written by an american guy that specifically calms down cats. It showed a roomful of cats, some of them very much not getting on, followed by the music playing in the same room and the cats totally chilled. I've googled and searched online and can find loads of different albums, but not this specific one. Does anyone know or heard of it or has personal experience of an alternative I could use? I know some classical music is helpful, which I have, and I also have some nice chilled "new age" stuff, but all suggestions would be very welcome.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Hi Anne Bond!
Congratulations on the arrival of Sonny!

My Ari was very nervous and shy when she came home nearly 2 years ago. One day I was watching Mozart Piano Concert in Youtube and she came around, for the first time to check where was that music coming from.

This is the video that made magic happen Mozart Piano Concerto No. 9, First Mvt, Mitsuko Uchida - YouTube
(wow, magic still happens, she came around to check it!)

Now, I have a special Ari Playlist with some of her favourites. I've noticed she prefers arias over other types. And her favourite songs are Flower Duet (Delibes), Clarinet Concerto in A (Mozart) and Song to the Moon (Dvorak) which I play in the car when we need to go to the vet. You can have the Feliway spray in the blanket inside the carrier to make Sonny more relaxed in the car trip.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Congrats on rescuing Sonny :thumbup1:

I often put the radio on for mine if they have to stay indoors, one of the classical stations like Classic FM or Radio 2 or 3 which can seem to help soothe them, especially if we have to go out. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well done for chosing a cat who has been overlooked for so long :thumbup:

When you go to collect him, I'd spray his carrier with feliway spray and have a bag of treats try to temp him with.
I've never heard of the music so can't help there, sorry. But if you don't manage to find it maybe try some other classical music as others have said. Don't have it too loud though as the noise might frighten him.

Good luck though, hope he brings you joy and companionship.
Glad he's finally found a loving home :)

Stick around and let us know how he gets on!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Congrats on rescuing Sonny :thumbup1:

I often put the radio on for mine if they have to stay indoors, one of the classical stations like Classic FM or Radio 2 or 3 which can seem to help soothe them, especially if we have to go out. :)
About a week ago I started leaving the radio for Cookie when I go out to work, I hope she like radio 2 :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About a week ago I started leaving the radio for Cookie when I go out to work, I hope she like radio 2 :)
Radio 2?!? I may have to report you for animal cruelty :eek:;);)

I am busy compiling a special playlist for Sonny, and have ordered a thundershirt, which, if the video is anything to go by may well be a great help. Fingers crossed:biggrin:

I will come back to the forum to let you know how we get on.

Thanks again to all who answered :D

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Hi Anne:) I think it is a jolly good idea to use music to soothe your new cat on the journey home, and at home too. I have always used music in the car when I am transporting any of my cats and have found it successful:)

Mozart is well known for being soothing for cats:) I often play a CD of Mozart Piano Sonatas to my cats.

Mozart: The Piano Sonatas: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Or, there is music specially written for cats:

pet relaxation -music to relax your pet

Classics for Cats: Amazon.co.uk: Music

NEW Relaxation Music Cats CD Calm Kittens Kennels | eBay

Would love to hear some feedback, as to what works best for your cat:)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hi Anne Bond!
Congratulations on the arrival of Sonny!

My Ari was very nervous and shy when she came home nearly 2 years ago. One day I was watching Mozart Piano Concert in Youtube and she came around, for the first time to check where was that music coming from.

This is the video that made magic happen Mozart Piano Concerto No. 9, First Mvt, Mitsuko Uchida - YouTube
(wow, magic still happens, she came around to check it!)

Now, I have a special Ari Playlist with some of her favourites. I've noticed she prefers arias over other types. And her favourite songs are Flower Duet (Delibes), Clarinet Concerto in A (Mozart) and Song to the Moon (Dvorak) which I play in the car when we need to go to the vet. You can have the Feliway spray in the blanket inside the carrier to make Sonny more relaxed in the car trip.
Just clicked on the link and Karm, who was asleep on the floor woke up and ran upstairs like she was fearing for her life :lol:

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Just clicked on the link and Karm, who was asleep on the floor woke up and ran upstairs like she was fearing for her life :lol:
In contrast.......when I clicked on the link, Pixie, my cat who is lying next to me on the sofa, rolled over onto his back, stretched his paws upwards and began purring loudly:lol::lol: (He likes a bit of *culture*:D)

I would guess yours are not used to hearing classical music then?:D

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
Congratulations Anne on rescuing Sonny :)

I hope all goes well. Would love to hear about him and to seeing lots of pics :)

My sister leaves the radio on for her cats :)

Seb is asleep on the chair, just played the link, his ears twitched, lifted his head, looked at me and went back to sleep :) I found it quite relaxing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well folks, after being delayed by a day, we eventually picked up Sonny yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, the thunder shirt was too small for him so left it at the RSPCA for other smaller cats. However, we'd sprayed the cat carrier with feliwell and although bewildered (first time for him in a carrier and car) he remained pretty calm. Had a selection of classical music mixed with chill out and music for pets with harp for the journey and at home. His favourite (and one of mine) is Clair de Lune by Debussy. I'd taken one of our soft cat baskets to the RSPCA previously for him to use, so that when we returned he could walk out of the carrier straight into something that was familiar to him and had his smells. This was like a comfort blanket to which he repeatedly returned whenever he got the jitters. Also, the diffuser helped, and he crouched by that a good few times. It was pretty overwhelming for the poor boy and he seemed stunned by all the space he had, and that was only in our very small front room! However, we made him very welcome, continually reassured him in a quiet and calm environment and he ended up visiting both our laps for prolonged and relaxed snoozes. He slept alone happily last night, although he had the option to join us. He only pulled a little of his hair out, whereas before he had been denuding himself on a regular basis and still has a lot of hair to grow back on his lumbar region. Today he's been looking out of all available windows, mostly the french windows, and has been fascinated. Yesterday he saw another cat in the garden and panicked. Today he's seen a fox, magpie, another cat etc and was simply alert. He's now stretched out on my lap whilst I'm typing and we're very optimistic for the future. Thanks for the help and good wishes :):):)

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Sonny sounds such a lovely boy! Congratulations, you seem such the perfect new mum, making his transfer into your home as smooth as possible, with great rewards I can see!

Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing more about your dear Sonny :)

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
My cat's breeder works long hours and always had the radio on. So when I brought them home, I pretty much left the radio on upstairs and downstairs as I also work long hours. They find it soothing, but its London heart fm :eek:

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
Congratulations Anne :thumbup: and welcome home Sonny :)

Sonny sounds like a lovely boy and it sounds like things are going really well :)

Keep us updated.

Look forward to hearing more about Sonny and would love to see some pics of him :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, I promise I will post photos when able, but he is so nervous that we don't dare risk spooking him with the flash from the camera, although I'm gagging to take some piccies! He's really settling in well though, and loves watching the wildlife through the windows, even following a squirrel's progress by running from window to window. I think he's promising himself a bit of squirrel pie in the future:nono: We also have a guard cat; yesterday he growled at the postman as he strolled into our porch to deliver some letters :p
Ella, the bengal from next door is fascinated by him and they were either side of the window for ages this morning, so he may have a girlfriend ;);)
The fireworks we were dreading don't seem to affect him unduly; there was little reaction from him as he lay zonked out and upside down on my lap last night :smile::smile: He's even started to play with us, hiding behind stuff and then leaping out. He's a real sweetheart, and an absolute joy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As promised, here are some photos of Sonny. Growing in confidence every day, but we can't stop him pulling his hair out :(
May have to pay a visit to you know where:eek:
Hope you enjoy the piccies if they load :p

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've only just seen this thread, otherwise I would have suggested, as others have done, that having a radio station (in particular a talk radio as voices as quite soothing) could have been useful for the journey as well. It sounds like he's settling in very well though.
Well done on adopting him. He looks lovely.
Pete

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.