UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just been looking at adverts cus im bored:blushing:

well i realy carnt believe how many pups are about some are 4-5 months and still not found a home:(

is it down to bad breeding or the credit crunch?

i realy think people should not be breeding if they dont have homes lined up..i dread to think where half of these pups will end up:(:mad:

·
Banned
2,256 Posts
both - people who have to advertise shouldn't be breeding atm and it is the bad breeders that are having difficulty in finding homes.

Good quality breeders are having no problems finding homes for their litters anyway, it's those who breed first and have to advertise their litters that are ending up with unsold puppies, mainly byb as the puppy farmers simply would have disposed of the puppies once they were no longer cute puppies - they know they are difficult to sell.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Yeap agree with Dundee. We've got 2 4 month labs at a local farm which we know are likely to be heading our way any day soon. Started as litter of 6, 3 sold, 1 already been through our doors because his leg had to be removed after an accident and he was left at the vets to be PTS and the other 2 are now reduced for £200 for a 'quick sell'!! :mad:

What makes me bloody furious is the last time I visited I told her not to put the other chocolate lab in pup...but guess what???? :cursing: She thinks she might have some yellow one's and thinks they are selling better than chocolates now!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Unfortunately, because the recent film Marley and Me, she's right - just goes to show what a person she is :mad: :mad: :mad:
:rolleyes: I hadn't even thought of that!! The last litter she had 1 golden and she was reserved straight away so I think that's why she wants more golden..wouldn't mind but the dog was a chocolate anyway so I don't know why she thinks she'll throw more golden than choccy's!! She's still got a bitch from the first litter the dog now in pup had last year (bred at a year old and now bred again!!!).

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, because the recent film Marley and Me, she's right - just goes to show what a person she is :mad: :mad: :mad:
I never thought about that a film its a joke that people see a dog in a film and then go and get one:eek:ut:

Year good breeders dont advertise on these type of adverts but i was still shocked see how many unsolds pups are about:(

·
Banned
2,256 Posts
I never thought about that a film its a joke that people see a dog in a film and then go and get one
I'm afraid the same happened with dalmatians when 101 dalmatians came out. I've come to the conclusion that most people really are pretty shallow.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Some of them could be pups that breeders have run on that didnt quite turn out good enough.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm afraid the same happened with dalmatians when 101 dalmatians came out. I've come to the conclusion that most people really are pretty shallow.
Yes so labs are the latest thing so pf & byb are going breed them like crazy and most will end up in rescue.

My neighbour as a lab and he was a rascal as a puppy so i feel people will get rid once the cute puppy stage is over as they wont want the hard work with training ect:(

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yes but they are 4-5 months and realy need to be settled in the new homes!

The prices are also low so it does make you wonder!
the low prices would make me suspicious. But anything up to 8 months is about normal for people rehoming a failed show/working dog i think :)

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
both - people who have to advertise shouldn't be breeding atm and it is the bad breeders that are having difficulty in finding homes.

Good quality breeders are having no problems finding homes for their litters anyway, it's those who breed first and have to advertise their litters that are ending up with unsold puppies, mainly byb as the puppy farmers simply would have disposed of the puppies once they were no longer cute puppies - they know they are difficult to sell.
i find these comments very biased and unfair even good breeders sometimes find difficulties of finding homes, sometimes people pull out of the sale of puppies for whatever reason.

G

·
I have always prefered the yellow to myself = but thought that the chocolate were more in demand! Obviously the film has brought the fickle would be owners out of the woodwork!
DT

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
i find these comments very biased and unfair even good breeders sometimes find difficulties of finding homes, sometimes people pull out of the sale of puppies for whatever reason.
but good breeders will keep their puppies if they cant find good homes for them

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
but good breeders will keep their puppies if they cant find good homes for them
I understand what you saying but this isnt always possible is it? it dosent make them a bad breeder in my eyes. if you breed dogs as much as you would like to offer each pup a home with yourself if things go wrong it wouldnt be possible its a sad fact.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I understand what you saying but this isnt always possible is it? it dosent make them a bad breeder in my eyes. if you breed dogs as much as you would like to offer each pup a home with yourself if things go wrong it wouldnt be possible its a sad fact.
then really they shouldnt breed,any good breeder would keep any pups they cant sell and also take one back later in its life, thats always something someone who breeds should consider

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
then really they shouldnt breed,any good breeder would keep any pups they cant sell and also take one back later in its life, thats always something someone who breeds should consider
yes exactly Kirsty!!!:)

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
you havemt understood me rightly i didnt say take one i meant every single one that they have bred thats what i meant and theres no way you could.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.