Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sooooo many poor pups !!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by cav, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cav

cav PetForums VIP

ive just been looking at adverts cus im bored:blushing:

well i realy carnt believe how many pups are about some are 4-5 months and still not found a home:(

is it down to bad breeding or the credit crunch?

i realy think people should not be breeding if they dont have homes lined up..i dread to think where half of these pups will end up:(:mad:

2. Dundee

Dundee Banned

both - people who have to advertise shouldn't be breeding atm and it is the bad breeders that are having difficulty in finding homes.

Good quality breeders are having no problems finding homes for their litters anyway, it's those who breed first and have to advertise their litters that are ending up with unsold puppies, mainly byb as the puppy farmers simply would have disposed of the puppies once they were no longer cute puppies - they know they are difficult to sell.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Yeap agree with Dundee. We've got 2 4 month labs at a local farm which we know are likely to be heading our way any day soon. Started as litter of 6, 3 sold, 1 already been through our doors because his leg had to be removed after an accident and he was left at the vets to be PTS and the other 2 are now reduced for £200 for a 'quick sell'!! :mad:

What makes me bloody furious is the last time I visited I told her not to put the other chocolate lab in pup...but guess what???? :cursing: She thinks she might have some yellow one's and thinks they are selling better than chocolates now!!!!! :rolleyes:

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Unfortunately, because the recent film Marley and Me, she's right - just goes to show what a person she is :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

cant believe this, people are really wanting yellow labs, because of that film, and what is going to happen to them once the novelty wears off:mad: Soo sad,

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:rolleyes: I hadn't even thought of that!! The last litter she had 1 golden and she was reserved straight away so I think that's why she wants more golden..wouldn't mind but the dog was a chocolate anyway so I don't know why she thinks she'll throw more golden than choccy's!! She's still got a bitch from the first litter the dog now in pup had last year (bred at a year old and now bred again!!!).

7. cav

cav PetForums VIP

I never thought about that a film its a joke that people see a dog in a film and then go and get one:eek:ut:

Year good breeders dont advertise on these type of adverts but i was still shocked see how many unsolds pups are about:(

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I'm afraid the same happened with dalmatians when 101 dalmatians came out. I've come to the conclusion that most people really are pretty shallow.

9. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Some of them could be pups that breeders have run on that didnt quite turn out good enough.

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Yes so labs are the latest thing so pf & byb are going breed them like crazy and most will end up in rescue.

My neighbour as a lab and he was a rascal as a puppy so i feel people will get rid once the cute puppy stage is over as they wont want the hard work with training ect:(

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

well - specifically yellow labs atm - it was chocolate labs that were the fashionable colour but now it's yellows.

12. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Yes but they are 4-5 months and realy need to be settled in the new homes!

The prices are also low so it does make you wonder!

13. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

the low prices would make me suspicious. But anything up to 8 months is about normal for people rehoming a failed show/working dog i think :)

14. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i find these comments very biased and unfair even good breeders sometimes find difficulties of finding homes, sometimes people pull out of the sale of puppies for whatever reason.

15. I have always prefered the yellow to myself = but thought that the chocolate were more in demand! Obviously the film has brought the fickle would be owners out of the woodwork!
    DT

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

but good breeders will keep their puppies if they cant find good homes for them

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I understand what you saying but this isnt always possible is it? it dosent make them a bad breeder in my eyes. if you breed dogs as much as you would like to offer each pup a home with yourself if things go wrong it wouldnt be possible its a sad fact.

18. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

then really they shouldnt breed,any good breeder would keep any pups they cant sell and also take one back later in its life, thats always something someone who breeds should consider

19. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

yes exactly Kirsty!!!:)

20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

you havemt understood me rightly i didnt say take one i meant every single one that they have bred thats what i meant and theres no way you could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice