Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Soooo many scratches!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ouisie, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ouisie

ouisie PetForums Member

My boys are still not liking me much. Hades gives me a sharp nudge to tell me to bugger off please and when I pick him up he generally looks terrified but stays still.

Atticus is a whole different story, when I open the hutch he runs into the bedroom bit and stamps at me and when I pick him up it's a struggle to hold him, legs are everywhere and he thrashes about to get free.

They went to have a nail trim and rear guard today and Atticus tried to climb up me and leap off the back of my shoulder, I had a firm grip on him so he didn't get free but all my arms and even my neck and chest are scratched.

Any tips on calming them down? I am a walking sudocrem monster tonight!

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It just takes patience Leo was the same when we first got him wouldn't come near us, wouldn't let us pick him up now he sits there calmly, even gives you a lick while hes in your arms. A lot of rabbits don't like getting handled if you're gentle with them they'll finally be more than happy to be picked up.

3. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Sorry I do not know if you have posted their story but how old are they and are they neutered.
    Did you buy them from a breeder or pet shop?
    How are you picking them up as this plays an important part in how good they are at being handled.
    Rabbit scratches hurt so it is important to try and solve this for your beefit as much as theirs.

4. ouisie

ouisie PetForums Member

Hi, I have posted about them before but I've not been on the forum much this last few weeks.

They're 4 1/2 and 5 months old, neutered three weeks ago. I got them from a breeder back in April.

They live in a two storey hutch and I pick them up a couple of times a day for bum checks. I initially tried to place one hand under their tum and one under the bum but they would bolt before I could lift them so now it's one hand under the tum and lift and support in one swoop. Kind of scooping them up. I then pull them to my chest, one hand under the bum and one around the back. I think that is ok? If there is anything else I can try please let me know!

One will stay still in this position, the other tries to clamber up me and over my shoulder to freedom, today I have two nasty scratches on my neck and chest along with several suspicious looking marks on my arms!

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Thats the way I lift and hold Leo and he does great. You do get some nesty scratches at the start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice