Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Soooo had enough now

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kivasmum, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I need a bit of a rant, and there's no better place for a dog related rant than here :D
    Soooo it's been 10 days since madams spay and I am so fed up :( spent the first 3 days with her 24/7 then I had to go back to work, only 3-4 hours a day for 4 days then I've been with her at all other times. She has spent most of that time crated, in the living room so I can keep an eye on her. She hasn't been overly interested in licking her wound but does have a go every now and again but usually stops short with a sharp 'nah' the only excersize she has had has been 3 10 minute, on lead, round the corner to a grass verge toilet walks. Obviously when I needed to go back to work I needed to stop her getting to her wound so I tried the t-shirt and bandage option, she licked it through the t shirt, I bought an inflatable collar...she can still reach it, I bought her a medical pet shirt...she gets out of it!!! :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
    I am ridiculously stressing myself out about it and since yesterday her wound has looked a bit pink and swollen, took her to vets tonight as I was a bit worried about infection, the nurse had a look and said it does look a little swollen and she got the vet to have a look at it, he had a look and a feel and said he isn't too concerned, thinks the swelling is fluid which is quite common and he wasn't too concerned about the redness but wanted to take her temp just to make sure.......well kiva was having none of it!!! I tried holding her while the nurse inserted the instrument and she just wriggled and writhed and the poor nurse had no chance!! She suggested taking her in the back to get someone else to hold her as she may be more amenable with a stranger....I could hear her in the back wriggling and trying to get away!! Then the vet comes through and says due to the struggle she put up he would say she is fine lol then the nurse tells me she could do with a halti as she does pull on the lead and harness.......so I've pretty much left the vets feeling like a useless dog owner :frown2: I do have to say though that walking her on a fixed lead had already shown me that we need to work on loose lead walking, I'm sure she has husky in there somewhere!! Anyway don't really know what the point is, just feeling a bit lousy and like my head wants to go pop....just want my baby girl back to normal :(

2. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Day 10 spay wound

[​IMG]

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

That does look sore. Mine was too tired to bother and wore a t-shirt. It cleared up quickly. Have you tried those non lick strips?

When they have their temperature taken they are held under my arm with their head facing away. Due to their size though it isn't difficult! Although neither have bitten I muzzle them in case they react badly out of fear. It helps give me confidence in handling them.

As for the pulling my older dog walks perfectly to heel, but doesn't look like he does at the vets! My yorkie is shaking too much to even move. I wouldn't expect the vet to comment though.

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I just stuck a cone on Pen. She has one now, with her stitches, whenever I go out.

Just hold in there, lots of wine and cake and you'll be Ok. You think it's hard for you, think of Kiva.

5. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I tried the cone of shame, she flipped! Lol I do feel so sorry for her, I think she is wondering why her mum is being mean and keeping her locked up and stressing about her licking. Was hoping by day 10 we would be well on the way to recovery.......sure you don't want her?? Ha ha

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Ahh I did clicker training with Pen before her spay, so she was happy to have the cone on, even puts her own head in.

Nope, already had a bitch go through it all.. don't want another..

7. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I had a look at the lick strips, would they work wit a spay wound? I only briefly looked and presumed they would go over the wound and thought it should be covered?? Being able to hold her under my arm would of been a bonus :D I was going to say that I was impressed with her tolerance, she wriggled and writhed but never made any signs of snapping or growling, and under the circumstances it was a possibility. She can be a pain on lead, but that is totally my fault I got too complacent with a flexi, it has been duly noted though :D and once she's better and ran off all her pent up energy training will recommence lol

8. leashedForLife

yes, it does look puffy & a bit "proud".

if she were mine, i'd work on getting her accustomed to temp-taking NOW, at home, on my own.
    It's a great way to get early warning of nasty stuff [UTIs, etc], & it's good to have any dog used to it,
    so the vet can simply take the temp & be done.

Use goodies to keep her busy -
    SCRUB a metal vertical surface in the kitchen, rinse it very well with warm H2O,
    & plaster a thin sheet of peanut-butter, cream-cheese, or other THICK lickable yummy
    on the door with a rubber spatula - the frig-door, dishwasher, ____ .

STAND the dog in front of that door, STAND ON her shortened leash so she can't walk away,
    & let her lick while U poke the probe up her bum; use a sandwich-bag to wrap the tip, be sure
    that the WELDED seam is not the corner U insert the probe in, use the smooth folded-side.
    [the heat-welded edge can cut like a paper-cut, very ouchy on a delicate bit of body real-estate. :( ]

Kneel beside her or straddle her facing toward her tail, slide one flat PALM under her belly so she can't SIT,
    pick up her tail & stroke it to the tip, drop it, & praise her. Then pick up her tail, TOUCH her anus with the probe,
    drop her tail & praise. Then pick up her tail, slip the last 1/8th inch in, remove / drop tail, praise...
    etc, etc. In less than 15-minutes, U should be able to insert the probe easily.

If she really panics, break it into multiple sessions - go just one step, let her go, then try that PLUS
    another tiny step, & so on.

9. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Yeh I wish I had, hindsight is wonderful isn't it :rolleyes: I just thought an inflatable one and the shirt would suffice, clearly the old ones are the best ha ha

10. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

It does doesn't it, I expected to leave the vets with antibiotics but he wasn't concerned, just said to maybe pop her back at the end of the week?
    Of all the things I tried to get her accustomed to, sticking something up her bum never crossed my mind, but as you say it's important for health reasons, so it should of :(

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That isn't looking brilliant 10 days post op. All of mine have had the stitches removed at 10 days, apart from the last one because she was spayed keyhole procedure.

Did your vet say when the stitches were being removed or are they dissolvable?

12. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

She had no external stitches, only dissolvable ones. The vet visit wasn't a planned one, I took her in because it looked a bit red and swollen but the vet seemed unconcerned.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I agree with you. It does look sore. Personally I'd be returning to the vets if it doesn't look better in a day or two.

14. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I am going to be extra strict and if its no better by thursday morning she will be going back in :) the vet said Friday but I think another 48 hours is long enough to leave it? I read somewhere about seromas? Fairly common by all accounts and it mentioned using a cold compress to help with the swelling? I may try that over the next few days too :D

15. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

I bought one of those inflatable collars when I had my old GSD and it didn't work for him either. I thinks their muzzles are too long for them and their backs too long and flexible so they can reach past them. I ended up sending it back as not fir for purpose.
    With regards to struggles at the vet my old guy was the same, not even 3 people could hold him still if he didn't want something done. He had recurrent ear infections as he got older and the only time the vets could examine him was when he was put under. They are such a determined and strong but beautiful breed and I still miss mine 3 years after we lost him.
    Just to say I hope your girl gets better soon.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She really should be completely back to normal by now, exercise wise and health wise. It does look a bit sore but if the vet isnt bothered it is probably fine. It certainly does not look infected.

I have never had one need anything to stop the licking and my vet does not give out cones or suggest covering the wound. Candy had her stitches out at 10 days and the vet told me to exercise her normally - which meant a lot of fast road work. Toffee had internal stitches so had a wound like your dog and she was totally back to normal by day 10 as has every other bitch I have ever had spayed - bar one that got an infection, not in the wound but in herself.

17. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Thank you :D she was certainly determined that nothing was going up her bum! :eek: ha ha but they are indeed determined, strong, beautiful pains in the butt :thumbup1:

I was hoping by day 10 we would be well on the way to normality, but her wound seems to have other ideas :rolleyes: I am glad that someone has said it doesn't look infected though :thumbup1: that's what I was worried about, and I know you're not a vet but 2 people saying it (1 who is a vet lol) makes me feel a little more hopeful :D the wound itself is still sealed and she seems fine in herself so I'm hoping I'm just worrying unnecessarily, I do have a tendency to do that......thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice