Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sometimes the NHS is brilliant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lady Sol, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

I had a cold a week ago and instead of getting better, I got better and then worse again :rolleyes:. Been putting off going to the doctors as I never got round to registering with any of the local practices and I figured a new patient registering wasn't likely to get an appointment on Monday or Tuesday. Also as I'd had a cold I was expecting to get told it was viral and come back in a week if I wasn't better. Searched for walk-in centres at the weekend, Loughborough and Swadlincote have walk-in centre, but they're nurse only.

Was feeling really ill this afternoon after work, so used NHS Choices onine to search local doctors in an attempt to register. Found Derby has doctor led health centre. No need to register or book, you just turn up, regardless of where in the Midlands you live. Left home just after 4pm, arrived in Derby after 4.30pm and was being seen by 5.30pm. Turns out I have tonsilitis and I'm on penicillin for the next 10 days. Got to go back Wednesday if I'm not getting better.

Got directed to the late opening pharmacy in Derby, but forgot my purse. Went home and still made it into Loughborough in time to pick up my prescription from their late opening pharmacy :)

I thought 3 hours from home, to back home again was very efficient service from the NHS, considering I had no appointment and it was the evening :)

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Glad you've got it sorted hen :thumbup:

And yep, I can't speak highly enough of them. They were fantastic when my mum had cancer, the mental health department have been brilliant to me and intensive care were wonderful to my dad :thumbup:

Em
    xx

3. ClaireLouise

Hope you feel better soon

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I have to say when i have REALLY needed the NHS it has always come up trumps IMO :)

Hope you perk up soon, drink fruit juice not milk and suck ice pops ;) (i used to get terrible tonsilitis :() xx

5. toria

toria PetForums Senior

I think we are very lucky with the NHS when i look at other countries.

I know our NHS has issues but on the whole you know you can go anywhere you are within the uk & get treatment.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

hope the antibiotics kick in soon and you are feeling better..my daughter used to suffer terrible with tonsilitis :crying::crying:

7. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

The NHS are fantastic to be honest, whenever i phone the NHS Helpline which has been a few times, with my children etc they have been absolutely brilliant, quick to phone back and very polite and helpful on the phone.

My doctors i get an appointment straight away not a problem.

We are VERY VERY lucky in this country to have such a service. :D:D

8. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

i used to get terrible tonsillitus, still do at times :(

always find the nhs have be amazing even when i was younger :)

only problem i've had is when we went to portsmouth and i had AWFUL earache, so bad that even painkillers weren't helping it. I went to their walk in centre and they said there was nothing wrong with me.

Came home a week later still in pain and went to my doctor turned out i had a rather bad ear infection :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice