UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at a few similar threads on the forum (Don't think many are that recent) theres just something I wanted to ask.

How come if someone is breeding crossbreed pups they are classed as 'wrong' and 'just in it for the money'. I mean yes many of them probably are but you can't tell me that breeders of pedigree dogs aren't also in it for the money. If they weren't they'd give pups away free right? (I'm not against purebreed breeders though and I know professionals actually care for the pups they produce and aren't JUST after the money, it's just something thats made me think)

Obviously with both crosses and purebreds there are going to be good and bad breeders, but how come (It seems) all those breeding crosses are frowned upon?

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
There are a lot of pedigree breeders out there just breeding for money of course. Breeding a litter right pure or cross actually costs you more money than you make out of the puppies. If someone is breeding a mutt for ridiculous money for a stupid name then thats wrong. If a pedigree breeder is not doing it right or breeding a lot of litters at a time then thats wrong too. I'm really tired that probably makes no sense

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There are a lot of pedigree breeders out there just breeding for money of course. Breeding a litter right pure or cross actually costs you more money than you make out of the puppies. If someone is breeding a mutt for ridiculous money for a stupid name then thats wrong. If a pedigree breeder is not doing it right or breeding a lot of litters at a time then thats wrong too. I'm really tired that probably makes no sense
Nah don't worry, it makes sense :) I know breeding can actully cost more money than what the breeders make in some cases (Next door neighbor breeds ragdoll and maine coon cats, well only coons so far and has ended up losing money I think). I think any dog for a ridiculous amount of money is stupid, I mean if I ever wanted a chihuahua or something I sure as hell wouldn't pay £1000 for one like I've seen some people charge. Crossbreeds, even those with the odd names, should probably be slightly cheaper than pedigrees but not by much tbh(That sounds really bad, makes them sound like products rather than animals:eek:) I just don't think it's right that some people would give them a load of abuse for breeding them

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
Nah don't worry, it makes sense :) I know breeding can actully cost more money than what the breeders make in some cases (Next door neighbor breeds ragdoll and maine coon cats, well only coons so far and has ended up losing money I think). I think any dog for a ridiculous amount of money is stupid, I mean if I ever wanted a chihuahua or something I sure as hell wouldn't pay £1000 for one like I've seen some people charge. Crossbreeds, even those with the odd names, should probably be cheaper than pedigrees (That sounds really bad, makes them sound like products rather than animals:eek:) I just don't think it's right that some people would give them a load of abuse for breeding them
I'm not particularly against crossbreeding as long as it's done right anyway and the mix isn't guaranteed to cause problems for the puppies. But some people don't like it

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I don't think they are? There have been posts where people have said they're buying a cross from health tested parents, and good on them. I like certain breeds, and like them for their breed traits, and spend quite a bit of time helping people to find responsible/ethical breeders.

As has been said many times before, there are good and bad in all walks of life, and there are also huge grey areas.

Slightly OT, but I recently posted about certain genetic 'defects' with some dogs, their status, and breeding, and my own personal opinion is that it is short sighted to exclude dogs that are carriers or even affected where a status can be bred clear from without producing an affected pup. That to me, is as bad as people who don't bother to test, but I'm aware that this is a narrow view point. Now there are people who cross breed and test, and there are people who breed pedigrees and either don't bother, use a clear stud dog, or just test for the basic minimum to try and appear ethical. The onus really lies on the person at the end of the supply chain, they are the ones who create any sort of demand, so if they only asked for health checked, ethically bred pups of either cross or pure breed origination, we would finally start to get somewhere in eradicatinb byb's and puppy farmers!

Unfortunately, there will always be people who want dogs as some sort of status symbol, and you will always then get people who cut corners and breed towards demand, rather than towards an ethical outcome.

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
I don't think there really is a big thing against crossbreeds.... it's not half as bad as it used to be on here. Once of a time, you could hardly even make a post saying you owned a crossbreed because of all the crap you'd get for it.

I don't think anyone disagrees with crossbreeding if it is done responsibly with health tested dogs and good homes secured for the pups beforehand - as a 'proper' pedigree breeder would do.

Perhaps there is still conflict about it in the breeding section though, I don't venture there very often as I got bored of the arguments and flack that everyone gave each other. Don't know if it's improved or not.

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
Where every thread about crossbreeding or just crossbreeds in general ended up in an arguement between the same few people that was fun. It's gotten better now I think most left or got banned

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
all dogs are crossbreeds:D
So true! all so called pure bred dogs are from some sort of cross, doesnt personally bother me if people cross breeds, as long as they health check the parents, no one will ever stop it going on, no matter what anyone says there will always be "bad" breeders, its never going to stop:(

G

·
So true! all so called pure bred dogs are from some sort of cross, doesnt personally bother me if people cross breeds, as long as they health check the parents, no one will ever stop it going on, no matter what anyone says there will always be "bad" breeders, its never going to stop:(
very true you can argue forever wont change anything:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think there really is a big thing against crossbreeds.... it's not half as bad as it used to be on here. Once of a time, you could hardly even make a post saying you owned a crossbreed because of all the crap you'd get for it.

I don't think anyone disagrees with crossbreeding if it is done responsibly with health tested dogs and good homes secured for the pups beforehand - as a 'proper' pedigree breeder would do.

Perhaps there is still conflict about it in the breeding section though, I don't venture there very often as I got bored of the arguments and flack that everyone gave each other. Don't know if it's improved or not.
Ah yeah, it is mostly the breeding section that I've read those sort of comments on I think. It's just I've seen a fair amount of threads where someone has brought up a crossbreed they've seen for sale and complains about how wrong it is, others generally jump on the bandwagon and start saying basically the same thing over and over about how the dog shouldn't have been bred, breeder in it for the money blah blah. I should probably just stop reading the breeding section :eek:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
so long as the dogs are all healthy loved and cared for, I dont see the problem in breeding pedigrees crossbreeds or mongrels.
Giving them away or selling them for ridiculous prices, isnt even an issue either, so long as the breeder has took steps to ensure the pups go to responsible caring homes.

cross breeds and mongrels are no cheaper in quality, they dont deserve a lower price tag and deemed not worthy, just because they dont come with a kc tag....

they are our dogs, they are priceless

I bet most people with dogs, regardless of their dogs breeding, wouldnt part with their dog for any money and that just shows the real value we put on our dogs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so long as the dogs are all healthy loved and cared for, I dont see the problem in breeding pedigrees crossbreeds or mongrels.
Giving them away or selling them for ridiculous prices, isnt even an issue either, so long as the breeder has took steps to ensure the pups go to responsible caring homes.

cross breeds and mongrels are no cheaper in quality, they dont deserve a lower price tag and deemed not worthy, just because they dont come with a kc tag....

they are our dogs, they are priceless

I bet most people with dogs, regardless of their dogs breeding, wouldnt part with their dog for any money and that just shows the real value we put on our dogs.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Ive nothing against it at all, i just find it a little hard to understand why if someone has for example a springer wants to breed with it why not breed with another springer, maybe they have their reasons i dont know.:confused:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Every discussion I've cme across with the words...crossbreed, mutt, and breeding in the same sentence ends u in a barney from my experience on here and I end up sitting back and chuckling just by reading the posts lol....Honestly...it's like watching eastenders sometimes lol

To me a dog is a dog...my 2 are cross and I love em to bits,,,,in fact I love all dogs to bits whatever their background. I didn't particulaly go out looking for them, they just kind of dropped in my lap.....most of my pets past and present have ended up with me because the alternative doesnt bear thinking about
People have their own opinions ...fave breeds....that kind of thing, but at the end of the day wether we agree or not people have the right to breed what they like....just because some people dont like it it's not against the law and it is their right...it might be morally wrong but it's still their choice.....and I'm not about to argue the toss with them over it just because i have my own opinions.....
Clare xx

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Ah yeah, it is mostly the breeding section that I've read those sort of comments on I think. It's just I've seen a fair amount of threads where someone has brought up a crossbreed they've seen for sale and complains about how wrong it is, others generally jump on the bandwagon and start saying basically the same thing over and over about how the dog shouldn't have been bred, breeder in it for the money blah blah. I should probably just stop reading the breeding section :eek:
Yeah thats why I stopped reading, too many people thinking they were the authority on breeding dogs and giving it the big 'i am' to new members too often!

I can understand why some crossbreeds are wrong and people get mad, such as something ridiculous like crossing a GSD with a Bichon or something (not that i've ever seen that lol) and it does make people mad because of the lack of thought that's gone into the breeding, the breeders just see £ signs and nothing beyond that, like the health of the pups.

I don't think the "omg look at this awful cross" threads should be allowed imo, it's not very fair and the people who post them must know (unless they're new members) what a scuffle it is likely to cause.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
well, two things:
the price - breeding well bred crosses costs as much as breeding pure breeds...yet many people on here do not accept that they can have a price tag similar to the pure....and the attitude is really puzzling....

the ethics - it is well known - please don;t let me post again all the literature i have posted already in the breeding section - that many breeds suffer from comformation and genetic ailments and have thier life cut short and crippled because of pure breed breeders practices...yet heatlthier and well bred crosses (in my opnion) are sean as the result of some evil cross breed breeder.

but the coin has another face: as KC good or bad breeders have this organisation that justifies their ethic and sustains a good price tag for the dog...no matter how inbred/linebred and/or how misconformed their dogs are at the same time
crosse breed breeders boast about how much healthier their dogs are... just because their are crosses (and at times one discovers that these crosses come from repeat mating of related F1...Fx)...which is to say...the same despicable practice of line breeding...

i hope this make sense...
for the record i do breed crosses, do not sell my pups and i am very picky on who gets them...given size and power of the beasts...(the pups at 9 months and 1/2 are over 50kg).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.