Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Something Ive been pondering about dog training...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ems1910, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ems1910

ems1910 PetForums Newbie

When you have a cross breed, either with just 2 breeds mixed or more, how do you incorparate all those breed traits into training/caring for your dog?

Am I making sense?

We have a sbt x collie and some of their traits are so different that I wonder how to bring out all the strengths of each breed? The DNA thread got me thinking this and wondered which traits from each breed shine through on your crosses?

Ems :)

2. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Well, even though I don't know what exactly Monty is (see the DNA thread for his pics), he's long legged, kinda like a lurcher, so I do a lot of running stuff with him. Hoping to start agility classes with him soon. Tried some of the games to stimulate his nose, but he doesn't seem to have any sort of a scent dog in his genetics anyway! (he'd stand on top of his ball & still be looking for it!lol). He's not the smartest dog either (so I think he has some boxer in him anyway!). Basically, I just tried a few different types of games & training & then I decided what seemed to suit him best.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Very good question. To be honest with my crossbreeds (I have 3 crosses, 1 JRT and 1 good old fashioned mongrel) I just did their basic training with clicker because that's the method I train other people with so it's easy to start off with it and I find it a good starter point for most dogs to understand. Once I'd learnt more about their characters and what motivates them, then I adapted the training methods to them. For example with my beagle x staffie she is a very food motivated dog, but also has the high intelligence and hunt drive of a beagle. So with her I stuck with clicker training but she's at quiet a high stage of it now and I'm always having to find new things to teach her..even now at 9 she's eager to learn! But my Staffie x JRT clicker just didn't work and he just couldn't get it!! Bless him he's not the brightest spark, so for his training I literally use praise and touch reward, which to him is the biggest reward. My Poodle x who is extreamly toy motivate and has no interest in food, again clicker didn't work because his attention wasn't kept so I trained him using toy and play as reward. As he had stock issues (killed 2 lambs! I've also taken him to a working dog trainer to help with these problems and that has been a big turning point for him). The JRT I have only had a few months, and he's been a working dog in his time so I'm using the working part of his history to motivate him. He's now working with 2 lurchers and really responding to the working life (we don't actually catch anything both the lurchers are muzzled and the JRT is used for flushing). ;)

To be honest I don't want dogs that are like robots so I love them to express themselves as dogs and my training for most of them is just to a level of sit, stay and come. Tiz the beagle x has been trained much higher than the boys because she has serious behavioural issues and it was my way of bonding and distracting her from her unsociable behaviour.

4. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Try things out and see what works maybe? Some dogs are most driven by the hunt instinct and love tug-of-war and squeaky toys. Some dogs are driven by food, others by praise. My neighbours dog loves water first, toys second, food third. Find what works and try and incorporate it into the training so they get a reward that is the most rewarding to them :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice