UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should be in health really, but I also know there's more traffic in here :)

Just after a bit of advice really, just been playing with Sox & noticed that his right eye is rather bloodshot :( The actual pupil and everything looks fine, but it's red on the white bits.. Especially on the outside (side near his ear, as opposed to nose). Had a quick look & he's got something on his eyelid! I'm thinking it could be a sty or something?

We can't get to the Vets until Monday, unless it's an emergency, in which case we might be able to get him into the PDSA (Our Vets use the PDSA hospital as out of hours care). I don't want to put Sox's health at risk, so if it is an emergency, I'd take him there in a flash!

He's blinking fine, no discharge of any kind.. Just a redder eye than normal.

I am sure it's been there for a while, I know for a fact I've seen something there in the past. So why would it suddenly be a problem now? :(

I would love some opinions & advice.

I can't believe the poor guy is facing another trip to the Vet :( First it was his metacam not working, then it was a lump on his ribs (He did NOT like that appointment! It lead to a rather uncomfortable needle aspiration! Thankfully, just a fatty lump). Now this? He finds the Vets so traumatic. What are they likely to do? I hate to say this, but hopefully cost won't be too much. Thankfully he is insured, but with the other recent trips to the Vets.. It's starting to add up! Ack.

I hope his eye isn't too sore :( He looks ok & didn't mind me manhandling him, bless him.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I know this should be in health really, but I also know there's more traffic in here :)

Just after a bit of advice really, just been playing with Sox & noticed that his right eye is rather bloodshot :( The actual pupil and everything looks fine, but it's red on the white bits.. Especially on the outside (side near his ear, as opposed to nose). Had a quick look & he's got something on his eyelid! I'm thinking it could be a sty or something?

We can't get to the Vets until Monday, unless it's an emergency, in which case we might be able to get him into the PDSA (Our Vets use the PDSA hospital as out of hours care). I don't want to put Sox's health at risk, so if it is an emergency, I'd take him there in a flash!

He's blinking fine, no discharge of any kind.. Just a redder eye than normal.

I am sure it's been there for a while, I know for a fact I've seen something there in the past. So why would it suddenly be a problem now? :(

I would love some opinions & advice.

I can't believe the poor guy is facing another trip to the Vet :( First it was his metacam not working, then it was a lump on his ribs (He did NOT like that appointment! It lead to a rather uncomfortable needle aspiration! Thankfully, just a fatty lump). Now this? He finds the Vets so traumatic. What are they likely to do? I hate to say this, but hopefully cost won't be too much. Thankfully he is insured, but with the other recent trips to the Vets.. It's starting to add up! Ack.

I hope his eye isn't too sore :( He looks ok & didn't mind me manhandling him, bless him.
When you say its on the eyelid is it on the outside away from the eye or where the eye lashes are? If its near the eyelashes there are little glands and they can get blocked or infected and come up in a little bump rather like a stye in us. Sometimes they will make the eye red too. Especially if they are pushing the eye lash or eye lid so it rubs onto the eye or rubbing against it.

With any lumps though, they should really be checked out and the vet can also put a dye in the eye to make sure its not caused any problem rubbing on the eye itself. If it is that you will probably just need antibiotic ointment or something.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say its on the eyelid is it on the outside away from the eye or where the eye lashes are? If its near the eyelashes there are little glands and they can get blocked or infected and come up in a little bump rather like a stye in us. Sometimes they will make the eye red too. Especially if they are pushing the eye lash or eye lid so it rubs onto the eye or rubbing against it.

With any lumps though, they should really be checked out and the vet can also put a dye in the eye to make sure its not caused any problem rubbing on the eye itself. If it is that you will probably just need antibiotic ointment or something.
It's sort of on his eyelid, where his eyelashes are & under his eyelid too? It doesn't seem to be rubbing at all now & his eye has gone back to normal colour - although the lumps are still there.

I don't want to take him in unless I absolutely have to, he finds it so traumatic that it's just not fair on him :( I will keep an eye on the lump & if it changes (bigger, discharge, bleeding) then he will go to the vets ASAP.

Does that sound reasonable? It's not bothering him at all & I know he's had something there for a little while, it's just never caused a problem in the past & no Vet has ever been concerned by it.

Poor guy. :(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
It's sort of on his eyelid, where his eyelashes are & under his eyelid too? It doesn't seem to be rubbing at all now & his eye has gone back to normal colour - although the lumps are still there.

I don't want to take him in unless I absolutely have to, he finds it so traumatic that it's just not fair on him :( I will keep an eye on the lump & if it changes (bigger, discharge, bleeding) then he will go to the vets ASAP.

Does that sound reasonable? It's not bothering him at all & I know he's had something there for a little while, it's just never caused a problem in the past & no Vet has ever been concerned by it.

Poor guy. :(
If the white of his eye isnt red anymore and vets have seem it and are not concerned then just keep a watch on it for now. When I posted I was under the impression that a v et hadnt seen it so if they have then I wouldnt worry unless it changes or seems to make the eye red again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the white of his eye isnt red anymore and vets have seem it and are not concerned then just keep a watch on it for now. When I posted I was under the impression that a v et hadnt seen it so if they have then I wouldnt worry unless it changes or seems to make the eye red again.
They've seen it years ago & weren't bothered by it.. Although didn't tell us what it was either? He has got to go back for a check up within the next few months for his arthritis meds anyway, so if it's not bothered him by then, I will wait :)

His eye seems to have gone back to being completely normal now :) The lump is still there, but looks the same as it did before. I will definitely keep an eye on it. I'm sure he prefers me prodding him to the Vet! Thank you for your reply, it did ease my mind a bit. He's my baby, I hate seeing him hurt, or even in discomfort! Lol.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
They've seen it years ago & weren't bothered by it.. Although didn't tell us what it was either? He has got to go back for a check up within the next few months for his arthritis meds anyway, so if it's not bothered him by then, I will wait :)

His eye seems to have gone back to being completely normal now :) The lump is still there, but looks the same as it did before. I will definitely keep an eye on it. I'm sure he prefers me prodding him to the Vet! Thank you for your reply, it did ease my mind a bit. He's my baby, I hate seeing him hurt, or even in discomfort! Lol.
Oh so its something he has had for a long time then, and I take it it hasnt grown or changed. I thought it was something that had just or not long occured by your post. I wouldnt be worried about it, if there is no changes get them just to have another look when he next has to go then.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i wouldnt go in as an emergency unless it really couldnt wait until normal vet hours :) it doesnt sound serious by your post :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I would boil some water and make a salt solution, let the water cool until warm and get some cotton wool and bathe it. If it lasts more than two days, or changes at all (looks like its causing discomfort, weeps ect) I would go to the e-vets. Eyes are serious!

Edit// Sorry, didnt read your later posts :) Glad to hear its better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.