Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Something for ALL new small animal owners to consider.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Akai-Chan, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I got Thea from a petshop as were the 6 or so hammies I had as a kid all were fine one lived to 3 years old. But with Thea it was more I'd been thinking about getting one for a while and she was too cute. I had no idea there were other places to get them outside of petshops before this forum

2. Tammy0407

Tammy0407 PetForums Member

I agree that this is wrong and that it shouldnt happen, but i also think that trying to get these places shut down is a bit of a dream although yes it would be great!
    However if you are going to start a petition i think it would be better to take baby steps and maybe petition for laws on better living conditions! Its difficult and people do need to be educated. I had no idea about [email protected] getting rats that came from places like this and i dont think they know what kind of conditions the rats come from (im saying this after a convo i had with an employee of [email protected]). I also have to say that i dont think all of these farms are going to be this awful and that this is an extreme. I do think that this is wrong and that the animals need better living conditions.

3. Tammy0407

I also think that if people shut down UK based farms then shops are going to start importing rats from other countries! Have people thought what that would do to the rats! Bringing my rats home was stressful enough for them let alone transporting them across countries, rats would die, breed and become even more unhealthy! I think it would be a much better option to campaign for laws for better treament etc as you would see more and better results!

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Better living conditions are a good start but that still doesn't improve the genetic health of the animals, just their quality of life. What would be ideal is if the shops supplied by rodent farms were not allowed to sell animals anymore, unless they were being supplied by a licensed small breeder or something? I know that shutting down pet farms in the UK wouldn't solve all issues but it would certainly be a step.

The main way to go about it in my mind is to encourage people to buy from responsible, ethical breeders. Not to buy animals from pet shops and to, if possible, buy equipment from pet shops that do not sell animals atall. I breed rats and I offer a delivery service for a small fee if someone wants an animal off me but cannot reach me because of distance. I encourage potential buyers to come in and look at my rats, handle them, look at vet health certificates, handle the babies and ask me any questions atall. Not something you bcan do in a pet shop really because the plebs there will tell you anything just to make a quick sale.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. Tammy0407

Akai - Chan i will be coming to you next time i get some rats! after seeing those pictures really opened my eyes! HOw much do you sell your rats for if you dont mind me asking

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Mine are £10 each and they come with a weeks supply of food if you need to switch over and my support for all of their lifetime if you have any questions :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. waterlilyold

waterlilyold Banned

That is awful the way those poor rattys are kept :cursing:
    If I was able to get my rattys off you I would, but I'm too far :(
    Three of my rats came from a rat rescue but the other six were from a pet shop :eek: I don't know if the pet shops here get there rats from a hellish hole like that or not, but I hope not. :eek:

8. xshellx

xshellx PetForums Member

very useful. thanks :)

9. Lady3131

Lady3131 PetForums Member

Whilst I love my Rambo... I will never use pet shops again to buy a pet from. He came to us with wet tail and although I had had some experience with hamsters I was very much out of my depth. Luckily I work from home and after two weeks of intensive treatment and lots of love he managed to pull through but it was a lesson well learnt..

10. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

I feel sick.

this must stop

11. laurvystein

laurvystein PetForums Member

This is definitely something that all pet owners and future pet owners should see!

12. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

although i do agree with whats been said.... its also putting a bad name on the local family run petshops with years of experience

i can asure you that the rats that the place where i worked were bought from local breeders and were not kept in small plastic tanks

the staff there know what they are doing and on occasions where they dont know the answers they always checked with the boss

all the animals in the shop are in the right legally sizes cages and in some cases bigger than required

all animals are treated like family until there are sold are are never sold without telling new owners any informaton , cages ect ect... and they do try to get them to buy books on the animals

all animals were also given treats of apples, carrots ect depending on the animal and were handled every single day while their homes were being cleaned

names and addresses are always taken and their is a age restriction on buying animals

im not saying every pet shop is safe but please remember there is some responsible ones out there

i have heard that some petshops sell live animals (hamsters, rabbits and rats) for reptile food but be asured this one certainly doesnt

13. webzdebs

webzdebs PetForums Member

excellent article!

14. Berrywoods

Berrywoods PetForums Junior

ive been pushing that article around for some time now, i did as a rattery and i still do as a petshop, the conditions most animals are bred for shops is discusting, after seeing one for my self it really brought it to light with me, and pushed me to do what i do now, i still dont agree with animals being sold in petshops but id rather be the petshop who has complete control over its animal from baby to leaving to a new home, than just watching from a sideline being able to do nothing. I do recomend people goto breeders where possible, i know im not the only shop that breeds its own animals and providing they know what they are doing, these are the best places to buy them, dont support these places by spending money on them. Im glad that articles on more and more sites now days

15. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

please dont forget the good shops though

16. Berrywoods

i like to think im one of them, and i know there are plenty more, :)

17. charmedlassie88

charmedlassie88 PetForums Member

Oh god, I feel so bad now. Its also pretty obvious to me that it would be like this, I just never thought about it.

I bought daisy from Acorn petcentre...just thinking that her mum is in one of those tanks or worse just makes me want to cry.

18. Berrywoods

Scares me how this is happening all over the world,

i got this email this morning, from a european company

Hello.

We are czech company, who deal with breeding mice, hamsters, rats, worm, cricket,rabbits.birts, grasshoppers, snakes, many tipes of insect and etc. We are also occupy by sale and distribution to warehouse in whole europe ( Germany, Belgium, Holland, France, Austria, Switzerland). We are looking for new clients and we want only stabil and long-term clients. We have to offer animals with high quality. The animals are alive or frozen.Our shipping is free. We have stabile veterinary and hygienic control. Our company has whole licence for distibution and sales in whole Europe. So I would like offer you our products, because I think we have very good prices.

Please let me know if you are intereresting or not.
    Thank you for your respond and have a nice day Marketing manager Sabina Kašparová

Insect
    8 ADULT locusta 0.11 euro
    7 sub-adult locusta 0.10
    8 locusta dozen 1.75
    7 locusta dozen 1.75
    Buffalo 6.5
    Tenebrio molitor 5.5
    Zophobas morio 11.80
    schaben 0.20

pet
    Goldhamster 0.80 eur
    russe blue 0.75
    russe noirs 0.75
    russe blanc 0.75
    russe orange 1
    russe black 1
    russe beige 1
    Roborowski 0.80
    rabbits mix 8 mix
    quinea Pick 5 Mix quinea very nice variation gerbilie 2 degu 6 mice color,0,75

ratten
    baby ratten 0,28 eur frozen
    ratten 10 days 0,40 frozen
    ratten 30-50 gr 0,50 frozen /live
    raten 80-100 gr 0,70 frozen/live
    ratten 100-120 gr0,85 frozen/live

mice
    baby mice 2 days 0,10 eur frozen
    baby mice 5 days 0,12 frozen
    mice 6 grams 0,16 frozen
    mice 8-12 gr 0,20 frozen/live
    mice 12-17 gr 0,25 frozen/live
    mice 18-22 gr 0,30 frozen/ live
    mice big 30-50gr 0,40 frozen

Prices chinchilla
    "white 44 eur
    black 40 eur
    beige 40 eur
    standard 26 eur

19. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Not all pet shops are like that though, the good ones should be taken into consideration as well..

#39 LauM, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  20. Saria

Saria PetForums Member

I think it's unfair for you to say that you shouldn't buy animals from pet shops as not all of them buy from Rodent farms.
    I work in a small pet shop where all of the animals for sale are either bred by myself, the manager of the store or local breeders.
    The shop is very strict with the requirements for animals, all of the cages are the correct sizes and comply with RSPCA guidelines for keeping animals, For example, there are 5 baby Syrian hamsters for sale, each in their own cage with plenty of room to run about and plenty of bedding and toys, compared to bigger shops such as [email protected] that often keeps 3 or 4 syrians in one container.
    The manager of the store ensures that animals are sold in pairs if they need to be and that the customer knows exactly how to look after their new pet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice