Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Someone wanting to breed from pet cats

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sarah123456789, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarah123456789

sarah123456789 PetForums Junior

I just had a phone call from some one wanting two of my girl kittens for breeding with their two bengal boys and they askd if they were £350 and I said no £950 for breeding and they were totally confused and said well it wouldnt be a bussiness just something to do in the future and i said you will still be breeding from my cats and my line so you have to pay for what your getting and they just said 'oh ok ill have to ring you back'.
    I wont let them go to them now even if they turn around and say 'oh well we will just have them as pets then' because they will obviasly breed from them anyway, these people havent even researched the price of breeding cats so I doubt they know any information that they need to know, or how much it actually costs to breed, also their kittens would not be registered or anything. They have 2 boys at the moment that they want to breed from, obviasly baught as pets, makes me a bit mad that theres people like that who just want to do it as cheap as they can (breeding from pet cats) when theres people like me and many other people on here that spend alot of money for their breeding cats and alot of money to breed the proper way. Tut :(

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I feel the same :rolleyes:

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Can I ask why you are charging nearly 3 x your pet price for a breeding girl? They don't cost anymore to raise than a pet quality kitten? If £350 covers the cost of raising a kitten then surely an additional £600 is just pure profit and takes you out of the "hobby breeder" bracket into running a business – just my opinion.

4. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

I charge more for breeding queens - for the simple reason it rules out people who are serious about breeding.
    This post is a typical example. I have had so many phone calls like this

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I disagree, and it doesn't stop that person breeding from the kitten. The next breeder they go to, they just say they want them for pet. If someone comes to a breeder for an active cat then its the breeders duty to make the understand the dedication that goes into the whole process and to ensure that person is serious about it for the benefit of the cat - not the breeders pocket. Charging more won't do that at all.

I strongly disagree with breeders charging more for active cats and referring themselves as hobby breeders. There are extenuating circumstances for charging SLIGHTLY more like if you have imported a cat from abroad and they are lines that you can not get in the UK at all, then the new owner is benefiting from your additional outlay. Or maybe if you had a line you had created over decades of all your own breeding.

Had another thought, charging more for actives encourages the unscrupulous for an initial outlay they too can profit from selling actives. Once that kitten leaves your household what the owner does with his/her offspring is there business, every single kitten could be sold for breeding at a premium to like minded people who see ££££

#5 Saikou, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. xxSaffronxx

true - but it stops them being able to charge full price if the kitten is on the non-active register. So may make them think twice about what they are doing.
    I paid an extra £250 for my queens on top of pet price :D

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

I can't believe you charge such a difference for a breeding cat. I know some do cost more etc, but seriously, that is just taking the p|$$ but more for the people who are actually willing to spend that much and line your pockets.

lizward likes this.
  8. xxSaffronxx

Think what u like

I am not gonna post on this thread now if everyone is going to start attacking :rolleyes:

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

How :confused: It just makes them think they too can make money.

I have never paid a premium for any breeding girl and I have bought from long standing breeders who would be considered "top breeders" (although I hate that phrase). Nor would I charge more for an active kitten.

If people want to charge more then fine, but stop hiding behind the "hobby breeder" label, keep accounts and start paying tax on the profits.

10. xxSaffronxx

I DO keep accounts - unlike a lot of breeders. The Inland Revenue dont see breeding as a "hobby" no matter who is doing it!
    I am a qualified accountant and keep my accounts properly thankyou :rolleyes:

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I agree with you, Saikou, I never have charged more for breeding cats and never will. I have paid more for breeding cats (but never double!). It seems to me that if you charge more for breeding cats, you have of course the absolute right to do so, but you need to accept that you are giving the buyer every excuse to breed unregistered. Personally I love it when people want to breed from my cats (as long as they are prepared to do it properly - I have had one unfortunate experience where someone is breeding unregistered cats from a boy she bought from me as a pet) - I regard it as a compliment.

Liz

12. xxSaffronxx

Also whenever i have bought up the subject of "Accounts" and "Inland Revenue" everyone seems to ignore it - I wonder why that might be??

13. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

I am not attacking no body thank you. But I would in no way ever consider paying £600 above pet price for a cat, no matter how good it was. A cat is a cat. Alot of these people who charge a silly sum haven't even been breeding long, don't show and claim they have the best cats, from the best lines. etc etc... it really does annoy me. This is NOT directed at the opening poster before people say so, only the £600 bit, I don't know whether the OP shows etc.. that is all!

14. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Good for you. Will you be submitting a tax return for any profit then ?

15. xxSaffronxx

I never said I charge £600 over the pet price :confused: And wouldnt - but i understand to a certain extent why its done.

16. xxSaffronxx

Of course - although there is no profit yet! But you have to submit 5 years worth of accounts with a continual loss making anyway :rolleyes:

17. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

The OP is charging an additional £600 for an active girl.

18. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

and I never said you did charge £600 extra, the OP does!!!!!!!!!

19. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ok so you may do, but how many don't!! All hiding behind being a "hobby breeder" ?

20. xxSaffronxx

Either way whoever is doing it - i understand why they do. I personally dont charge that much - but everyone has their reasons.
    I almost paid £1000 for a bengal girl, and nearly £2000 for an Australian Mist.
    But I didnt have those breeds in the end - but I was willing to pay it for the right lines etc

#20 xxSaffronxx, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice