Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Someone explain this to me

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ad_1980, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok so mika is great in the park, good with recall and everything else.

But i've noticed something in his behaviour in the past week and its scaring me because i can't read his body language right so don't know what it means.

its not something terrible but i am a bit worried.

Ok so everytime a nice happy playful dog comes to mika, of course i put mika on a lead and see if the dog is ok before i let him off. Now he's fine for a second after i let him off but then they start running and mika starts running sort of away from the dog and the other dog runs after him. Now i can't tell if he's scared or if he's playing. His tail's not down, if it was that would be a normal sign for fear right?

I worry because i'm scared he might run away and something bad might happen. Thankfully his recall is close to perfect - touch wood otherwise i suppose there would be something to worry about.

So what do you think? Is he scared or is it play?

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would defo say it is playing. If he kept on running and was not joining in the play, then quite possibly he would be scared. I think it would be obvious if he was scared.
    x

3. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

My dog always does this! Its his way of playing haha its as if hes saying 'chase me chase me!!!' especially with his best friend Toby :D

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My chihuahua does this! Runs up to another dog then runs away at supersonic speeds, then spins round and zooms back up them. Repeated several times. Other dog usually looks non-plussed by this teeny little whirling dervish!!LOL

alphadog likes this.
  5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Dogs when young tend more to head towards you if scared a sort of security generally. Sounds like your dogs playing.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

oh thanks guys. I feel a bit reassured now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice