Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Someone explain this because i am getting a bit frustrated now

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ad_1980, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok so remember my thread on the Dog Chat part of this forum, about Mika making a mess in the morning. Yes he's still doing it.

He seems to be doing it every morning (this is before we wake up btw) in the same spot (which is where Dante's bed was put) and its driving me crazy now because he was behaving really really well up until now.

He started by peeing on dante's bed, and for the last few days hes been doing this first thing in the morning (or overnight when we're asleep i do not know) or when we are not at home. At first i thought it was a 'territorial' thing, making a mark on Dante's bed, so we all thought we'd take Dante's bed away (and before anyone says anything, Dante rarely sleeps on his bed, esp in the summer as he finds the floor a lot cooler to sleep on). So this mornng what do i come and find? A puddle of wee in the same spot Dante's bed was.

So now its got me thinking why he's stilll doing this. If its not the 'marking of territory' why is he doing this? Separation anxiety? if so, why now, he's never done it before! Any advice on how i can break this cycle before it turns into a habit. We do take him out before we go to bed and everything and he is walked every day! And he goes outside pretty much independently now when he needs a wee!

I should say for those of you that don't know he turns 8 months of age on the 9th August.

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

can you not get up a little earlier or throughout the day move the other dogs bed? We had a similar issue with my pup doing it to my olders, we simply closed the cage door so neither of them could get in :)

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I guess he is not neutered? Are you planning on getting him done? x

4. lexie13579

lexie13579 PetForums Junior

Hi

Im not trying to be nasty or any thing like that but why does every body say "cant you get up a little earlier?" This makes me so mad, if you put your dog out at night then they should be able to hold their wee till morning (unless there is some thing wrong with your dog).

I have my dog in a cage every night, but he still wees in it. I got told from some one that dogs dont mess in their own cage well mine does and im sure alot of other dogs does too.

I get the same replys from every one "get up early" "put him/her out every 15 -20 mins" "get up in the night" well i do these things and my dog still does it. Im up 3 -4 times a night as im in pain with an ulcer on my leg i let them out then but only one of them goes, so people cant say get up in the night cause i am.

As i sais im not trying to be nasty but please people stop saying all these things when we have already done it.

5. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i hope he isnt, he isnt even 8 months old yet!!!

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Lots of people get their dogs done at 6 months. He is not a large breed, so need to wait. It is the OP's decison, everybody has their own opinion it. But scent marking is a side effect of having an entire male.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

The advice you have been given is very good advice, everyone here does more or less the same thing with their pups.

How old is your dog? They will have accidents up until 8 months if not longer!

8. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

im not saying that they shouldnt have him done!!
    what i am saying is he isnt even 8 months old therefore still not fully mature even if he is a small breed,

no dog is fully mature at 6 months wether they are a small breed or not!

9. lexie13579

As i said im not trying to be nasty, just every one think every one can get up in the night etc etc.

My dogs are 11 months and 13 weeks.

My bitch was clean at 5 months old but Shadow does his bisness in front of us which is some thing Honey never done, hers was a complete accident. Where as Shadow dosent!

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

To be fair pups are only babies, would you expect a baby to sleep in a dirty nappy all night?

I'm not trying to be nasty either but when pups are young it is imperative to take them out often and even in the early hours so they get used to going outside and know where to go and not to go.

My girl is almost 9 months old now and she stopped going inside at about 6 months but if I sleep in and she is desperate to go she will go in the house :yesnod:

11. lexie13579

Yes i agree with you totally, pups are babies and no i dont exspect them to go all night, i go out with him at 10.30 01.30 03.30 05.30 and then before we go out on my sons paper round. im up in the night as i have an ulcer on my leg the size of a water mellon, i am in pain all the time so i do get up in the night and he still dont go until he comes indoors.

Its during the day he gets me a little mad and stand in front of us and dose it. if you pick him up to take him out side he is still peeing and when gets out side he stops.

I know your not trying to be nasty but this is very frustrating, and its easy to clean up as i have all laminated flooring, so its not that hes staining any thing either.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I went through that stage too, you're not alone! I like you have laminate flooring so it was easy to clean up but it is so frustrating. I love my girl but there were times when I wanted to strangle her :rolleyes:

If you're sure she knows where to pee and can't understand why perhaps she has separation anxiety? Have you checked her for any medical condition?

Other than that all I can is patience is the key. When you take your pup out stay outside with them until they go and praise them immediately :yesnod:

13. lexie13579

Im glad im not alone lol :)

He is out with the other lab too and i stay with him but theres a limit to how long you do stay out side, when he has been for a walk we go to a big field we can be sat in the field for about an hour and a half, and he still wont go we come home take him out to the pen and he still wont go but then he comes in and you have guessed it he dose it.

Looks like i will have to sit it out :( lol.

Where do you live as i thought i reconised the beach. i thought it looks like weymouth beach but im probably wrong. Any way looks beautiful.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My girl will only pee when we are on a walk and she has only started doing this in the last couple of months. She was terrible for holding it in, it's possible your boy could be doing this too :yesnod:

It's Aberavon beach in Port Talbot, quite a long way from Weymouth :D

15. lexie13579

Thats quite possible but why wont he pee when we walk with him?

Port Talbot is that in Wales?

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Couldn't tell you why really. Possibly because he doesn't feel comfortable, is put off by other dogs scents or feels too vulnerable. Or maybe he just wants to save it all for his garden :p

Yep, in between Swansea and Cardiff :thumbup:

17. lexie13579

Hey your a very pretty girl, and i wish you luck getting pregnant! I have 7 children so i DO wish you all the best. :)

Wow thats where i got my Shadow from :), in Port Tolbot and it was on a Livery stables where the old lady bred 25 dogs i think she said. Her dog were beautiful though.

Well i will just have to keep going on. My Name is Mandy

#17 lexie13579, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks :) I had a miscarriage first time round but I'm sure second time round will be the one :thumbup:

You mean Pen Y Waun? I've heard of it, lovely stables apparently, can't say much about her breeding if she's got 25 dogs on the go though :eek:

Thanks! :) You might want to remove your email though, anyone can see this forum xx

19. lexie13579

Ok i have removed it.

Im sorry to hear that i had 2 miscarrages and 1 still born baby but as i said had 7 healthy ones.

Oh i dont know the name of the livery, i know when i got to some traffic lights there was a low bridge and we had to take the 2nd turning on the right, we went right up a hill and on top of this hill she lived, it was beautiful up there she had 4 people working for her. Her dogs ranged from breeding to retired dogs too, she would not let any of her dogs go so she has them till they passes away. She had a big house and her kitchen was full of horse and dog rossets. You could see she loved all of her animals though.

you will have to keep in touch so i can be nosey about you getting pregnant! :)

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Don't worry, I don't intend on disappearing anytime soon.

I haven't been to the stables but know someone who has, and she loved it :D My girl came from Skewen can't remember for the life of me the name of the farm though!

Sorry to hear you had miscarriages and a stillborn :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice