Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some What Annoyed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Staceybob, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

I've just took Aleu out for the toilet; and this gorgeous tri coloured; Parti-coloured/Bi-eyed female border collie comes running up to me with no collar or tag on her. I ask the neighbours if they know her and no one has ever seen her before.

So I go with my instincts; Popped a slip lead on her; take my dog back in the house and take her for a walk around the whole village. I went all around the village, I asked everyone I came accross, I asked all the shops and the police station but no one had ever seen this dog before.

I finally decide to come back home and plan to take her to work with me tomorrow to get her scanned for a microchip when I woman comes calling after her. Anyways; I walk the dog back to her house where this guy is nearly in floods after losing her.

The woman apologises and said, I'm afraid she doesn't get walked, so she keeps trying to escape. The woman starts yelling at the guy saying that the dog needs a collar and he is refusing to put one on her. I then learn that this isn't her first escape and she's escaped tons of times before. I was getting tempted to say, "Do you know it's illegal for your dog to not be wearing a collar and tag?". I then said to him, "Is she microchipped?" And they told me she wasn't so I was like, "I'm not being funny, but I've just walked all around this village looking for this dogs owner, and I work at a vets. I was going to take her to the vets tomorrow to get scanned for a microchip. What would we have been thinking finding her with no collar, no tag and no microchip?"

Do you think I was really harsh for saying that? XD. I felt like I needed to tell this people how in the wrong they were.

The guy then starts saying that he can't understand how she keeps getting out, and they show me their garden, which has like, a 4ft high fence. And I was like "Have you ever thought she might just be jumping the fence?" I then found a bin up against the fence that she could quite easily be using as a hoist up and over the fence.

I'm hoping I've made them wake up a bit; but hopefully I wasn't too harsh either XD. The woman said if he doesn't start taking more care of her then they're going to get rid of her. I was like; You can swing her round to me any time lol !

Gorgeous dog XD I just hope these owners start taking more care of her.

Stacey xxx

EDIT: Forgot to mention; When I was looking for her owners; I came accross one guy and asked him if he'd known any one that had lost her and his response was 'How much do you want for her? I'll have her' !!!. If I would have been the 'wrong' kind of person I could of made some extra cash lol.

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Thats just terrible! :eek: :mad:
    Trust me you were very polite compared to what i woulda said :mad:
    She is a collie! What are they thinking not taking her for a walk! :eek:
    If she escapes and comes across you again, report it to the dog warden, poor pooch.
    Farm collies and one boxer is always walking around our viallge, and it is annoying because all of them are dog agressive and you can never relax for a certain part of the walk where they might be lingering :(
    How nice you were to take her round everywhere though, some people don't even bother :D
    xx

3. Staceybob

Lol well funnily enough; my partner has always wanted a Tri Coloured Female border collie (But we had our husky girl instead ;)) And when she saw her, she fell in love with her.

My partners mom said I should go offer money to buy her Lol!

I feel really bad like... I know this probably sounds wrong, but I would have felt more happy and satisfied about getting her home if the owners would have seemed more... Responsible. Now all I'm thinking is; what quality of life has that dog got?

Stacey xxx

4. Patterdale_lover

Awhh bless! She sounds lovely! My brother has a red husky called Diesal, he is lovely:D
    Awhh that would of been soo cool if you did buy her! She would have had a better home!
    Don't worry about it, you did all you could, and as i said, if you had just left her, she oculd of been run over. You did the right thing returning her, bt if she does escaped again report it for sure :)

5. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

You did the right thing.
    They aren't responsible owners and they should indeed have their dog with a collar atleast!
    They dont walk her? :O

The poor dog.
    I would have been a lot more harsh lmao, so theyre lucky haha

Chloe x

6. Staceybob

Lol well before I got her on the collar she went running towards the road! So I started jumping up and down going GOOD GIRL!!! YEAHHH!!! GOOD GIRLY!!! And she came running back thankfully lol!!!

Stacey xxx

7. Patterdale_lover

We had a similar episode on friday, me and my mate
    we were sta on the green and this little terrier cross was running about looking frightened. We watched for a bit to see if an owner would come out of the field. but the dog ran towards the road so we grabbed her shouting 'come here girl, good girl, come on!' we look like loons! :eek:ut:
    This old lady appeared 1omins later looking very upset with a dog leash, so we reunited them. She was very grateful bless her. She must of been 75 (the lady not the dog;))

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Poor dog, one of these days she might not be found by someone as responsible as you, Henrick has a collar with tag, a harness with tag, microchip and tatoo and I would still be mortified if he went wandering. I honestly think some people just don't know the risk they are taking with their dog.

9. Staceybob

Well yeah, I have Aleu microchipped, and she has a collar and tag, but I'd be flooding with tears ringing all the local vets and shops if she ever got loose.

Stacey xxx

10. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

poor doggy :eek:( how can they not walk her, poor thing. Walking is one of the best bits of owning a dog

11. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Thats shameful that they dont walk that dog, shes a collie and they need lots of exersize, you were polite considering what i would have said, I can't hold my tongue lol

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

ahh poor dog, not being walked, how can people do this. My dog is a right pain to walk,but i would never not do it. Well done you for walking round trying to find her owner and you were successful in finding them, but I have a feeling that this will not be the last you see of this dog;)

13. Staceybob

Yes I can see her turning up at my house again soon XD. If she does I'll probably be like; Did you know that it's ILLEGAL to not have ID on your dog? Lol.

I'm glad I managed to give her some exercise any way. I was tempted to offer to walk her dog.

Stacey xxx

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Good on you for helping her find her owners though, most people would either steal her or ignore her.
    Maybe after you having a word with them they might get her a collar and make the fence higher.

I would be so worried if my dogs wandered off, they are both chipped and have id tags. But I had a lab x, had taken her collar off so she could swim, she wasn't chipped yet, it was new years eve, I was getting her chipped with my xmas money. Anyway she ran off and her usually 110% recall vanished. So did she. We never saw her again :(:(

I hope these people become more responsible, or maybe the dog will run away to your house so many times they will let you have her! :D

x

15. Staceybob

Lol she was lovely; I noticed the fur behind her ears was all matted though. I wish I brushed her before I went looking for her owners now lol.

She happily walked inside my house though lol!

Stacey xxx

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

On their property, where they seem intent on keeping the poor dog prisoner, there is no legal requirement for it to wear ID. It's only in public places they have to wear ID. For a dog that frequently escapes though, not to have ID on it is just plain stupid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice