UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just abit of help required please....

what age can i start giving boo bits of apple, carrots etc? i want to start traning him a bit so he goes in to his cage at night and comes to me etc so need some treats. is 8 weeks to young?

he is using his litter tray most of the time but still does some poo's in his cage (not in the litter tray) the night before last he did a poo on the sofa, so i cleaned it up and put him back in his cage. then last night he was on the sofa again and smelt the spot where he poo'd the night before and then poo'd there again. should i keep him off the sofa now? how do i get him to only poo in his litter tray? to be fair most of the time he is very good!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hi ya

You will be ok to give a very small amount of fruit and veg now, it should be fine, just dont spoil him too much with it, just build it up gradually as he gets older!

I have problems with Stan and his litter training, he poos everywhere in the house and i cant seem to get him to stop, im hoping he will when i get him neutered cos its driving me mad! But i think what you should do is any poo that he does anywhere just put it into his litter tray.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
just abit of help required please....

what age can i start giving boo bits of apple, carrots etc? i want to start traning him a bit so he goes in to his cage at night and comes to me etc so need some treats. is 8 weeks to young?

he is using his litter tray most of the time but still does some poo's in his cage (not in the litter tray) the night before last he did a poo on the sofa, so i cleaned it up and put him back in his cage. then last night he was on the sofa again and smelt the spot where he poo'd the night before and then poo'd there again. should i keep him off the sofa now? how do i get him to only poo in his litter tray? to be fair most of the time he is very good!

hiya
i am a french lop breeder and i recommend to my buyers not to start introducing veg and bits until there 12 weeks old as they can get bloat if they start it too early, also you dont know if he has been given them in past so might not be used to them.
start about 3-4 months by giving him them in very small portions ie a few nibbles a day and gradually build him up on amount.

litter training is difficult to get 100% as most buns just poo as they run around, if he is marking the sofa then i would stop him from getting on there for a while.
sounds like he is doing a great job at litter training at such an early age, well done Boo your doing fab.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i dont think he will have been given it before, i know he went on the lawn so he's had fresh grass but thats it.

also whats the rule with picking them up? i know he doesnt like to be picked up but once he is on my knee he does like to be stroked. last night i was cleaning the living room and he just came up to be and started nibbling me and sniffing me so i know he's not frightened but does not like being picked up at all.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
no i dont think he will have been given it before, i know he went on the lawn so he's had fresh grass but thats it.

also whats the rule with picking them up? i know he doesnt like to be picked up but once he is on my knee he does like to be stroked. last night i was cleaning the living room and he just came up to be and started nibbling me and sniffing me so i know he's not frightened but does not like being picked up at all.
You could also try giving him weetabix, buns love weetabix! Also brown bread, a few days old is best but again not too much!

There is no rule on being picked up, it is best to try and handle them everyday so they get used to it but some rabbits just hate it, in fact most of them do! Stan never used to mind but now he bites us whenever we pick him up - again im hopping this will stop when he has been neutered! Just see how it goes and let him come to you, best to try sitting on the floor at his level with him for a while so he gets more used to you x

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
most buns dont like being picked up, how ever i pick mine up anyway lol mid scratches dex sometimes kicks about but lily has got used to it and is fine to be picked up now.

if he is eating grass with no problems them try him with small amounts of veg but the rule is little amounts and build up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also try giving him weetabix, buns love weetabix! Also brown bread, a few days old is best but again not too much!

There is no rule on being picked up, it is best to try and handle them everyday so they get used to it but some rabbits just hate it, in fact most of them do! Stan never used to mind but now he bites us whenever we pick him up - again im hopping this will stop when he has been neutered! Just see how it goes and let him come to you, best to try sitting on the floor at his level with him for a while so he gets more used to you x
yeah ive been doing that he will come to me eventually if i sit on the floor, ill just keep doing that for a while see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.