Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

some positive thoughts on neutering please?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by trabonita, Aug 14, 2009.

1. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

Hi,

my dog (7 mths) is having an operation on monday to remove a lump on his foot. The vet has offered to neuter him at the same time if we want. We are not opposed to neutering but, until recently our dog hasn't been interested in other dogs (only to play) however over the last few days he has tried to hump several dogs (male and female) so now we are thinking maybe it is best to do it on monday whilst he is already under general anaesthetic. My only reservation is that someone told me once that their dog completely changed after neutering and was less playful. We would really hate for this to happen! Has anyone else found this?

Thanks x

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My dog was neutered at 9 months and he's still the bouncy, playful dog he was before.
    x

3. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

You really should neuter your dog. It is such a simple operation and stops them running off to find bitches. 7 mths is a good age because the urge is just beginning, late on it can take hold and you may get fighting and smelly pee and that 'gotta have that bitch now!' type thing in the park. Apologies but it's the truth so please don't take offence. Also males can umm do their thing against objects and their bits dribble, you get the idea? I hope my post doesn't flag up any censors lol.

But it's the best thing to do and having a general means that you are half way there :)

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My answer would normally be 7 months is too early although (i am 100% for neutering), but in your circumstances i would say as he is already going to be having anesthetic then maybe go for it if you have been having him done shortly anyway then you will be putting your dog under anesthetic twice.

I have had 2 dogs done the older they are the less likely it is to change them as the character id already formed/developed, where as a younger dog is still changing character still forming, our first dog was done at 9 months too early looking back i i would say it made him if anything a little nervous, our 2nd dog who we have now was 6yrs and made no difference to him at all.

If you think about bitches being spayed, not many vets will spay them until they have had their first season, them spay 3 months after being a good indication that they have reached maturity.

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

7 months in my opinion is too early,a dog in my opinion shouldn't be castrated until mature both in body and mind.
    My dog is 3 1/2 years old, entire and has never showed the behaviour you describe.
    He did hump when he was younger but all dogs do this and you can train through it,neutering is not guarenteed to stop humping or running off to find bitches in heat.Some neutered dogs have even mated bitches.

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I have to agree as i said in my previous post one was done at 9 months,this was 10 yrs ago and he was bed guarding,showing dominence looking back and knowing what i know now i would have took other steps but i didnt and went with my vets advice.

I also said about having my other one done much later, again BIG mistake, he became very ill through not being neutered, so i would go with you on this one and say somewhere in between, around 3yrs. I will say in all harveys 6/7 of being intact he never displayed any of the behaviour some mention.

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I got my dog castrated a few weeks ago when he was 14 months old. Personally, I'd wait until he is at least a year old, because they need their sex hormones to grow healthy bones. My dog only humped when he was a little puppy and stopped when he was about 4 months old and hasn't done it since. We got him castrated because he was hitting the teenage phase and thought that it'll be better to do it now than later on in his life.

8. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I would never have a dog castrated before he was fully mature.Doing so before can have a very detrimental effect on him and 7 months is very young.

Vets are buggers for this,i took my latest pup in for his first jab at 10 weeks and was asked if i had considered castration!!! They haven't even dropped yet,poor little mite.

9. trabonita

Thanks for the replies. Why would neutering before he is fully mature affect him detrimentally? I have heard people say this but, nobody seems to be able to give a real reason to wait till they are over one year? and if this is the case, why do a lot of vets suggest that 6-9mths is a good time? Personally if it wasn't for his op I would have waited till he was a bit older but if I'm being honest I really don't know why!!! The problem is there is so much conflicting advice!

10. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Sex hormones are needed for growth plates in the bones. If they are neutered too early, these growth plates can keep on growing, so they end up with long, weak bones. It's always best to wait until they are mature.

11. trabonita

I am not saying your wrong here but, why would a vet recommend neutering this early if this was the case? I have rang several vets just to get a general opinion and all of them have said from 6mths is fine. I'm very confused! really don't know what to do for the best!

12. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think it's because they want to prevent unwanted puppies. If they neuter early, there will be fewer matings and fewer unwanted puppies. That's just my opinion. :)

13. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Alongside the reasons sevenpets has given, bone cancer has been linked to early castration especially in large breeds and Richard Allport,a holistic vet has been linking castration to cruciate ligament damage.I beleive the main reason vets push castration is the same reason they push boosters every year,income.

14. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

I would say go for it and get your dog neutered. Seven months is not a bad age at all.

15. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

we had our dog done at about 9 months and he is still as bouncy as ever, and i think it has helped when socializing as other male dogs don't see him as a threat, and he's never been aggressive towards other dogs.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice