Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some people should just never own rabbits!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

At work today someone phoned asking about an indoor rabbit cage we sell that she'd seen before when she come in. The one she was asking about is labelled up as just being a temp cage for isolating a sick rabbit/guinea pig or travelling. The cage is only 2ft and she wanted it as a permanent home for her dwarf rabbit. I explained to her that its just not fair and even cruel to keep a rabbit in something that small on a permanent basis. I said I have five rabbits myself and their litter trays are bigger than that cage, I wouldn't dream of making a rabbit live in something that small. Her reply was to just say "yeah but mine is just a dwarf she donesn't need much space". Frustrated and annoyed now I bite my tongue and tell her one of mine is actually a dwarf as well and I still wouldn't do it.

Basically I just ended up telling her she would have to find somewhere else to buy the cage as we wouldn't sell a cage that small for a rabbit of any size knowing it would be a permanent home. She hung up without saying anymore.

People like her should just not be allowed to have pets.

2. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

Stupid woman!!! Wont even listen to advise either :mad:

Some people just dont have a clue :mad:

3. Tsuyama

Tsuyama PetForums Junior

That's awful! Hopefully she was just too embarrassed to admit that she was wrong and actually thought about the advice you'd given her when the call had ended.
    I really want to believe that no-one would be so stubborn that they wouldn't take the advice of a person who clearly knows better.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

:( its so hard to tell people their wrong and ignorant, I normally try to direct them to websites or books or leaflets at the rescue, knowing even if they disagree with me at the time curiosity will normally get the better of them any they might believe something in black and white rather than coming from a "girl" :mad:

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

It really is annoying. Today I was speaking to a lovely lady who has just got two bunnies and listened intently to all the advice I gave her. She went on to say that yesterday she saw an elderly woman who had to bucks who were about 6 months old being kept together and were fighting. The lady went on to tell me that this elderly lady didn't want the bucks anymore because they were agressive, the elderly lady demonstrated the agressivness by poking the rabbits with a stick and saying thats how she "controls" them. The lovely lady I was talking to has taken these two bucks but she doesn't really have the room to keep them so at the moment she has them in two seperate indoor cages to stop the fighting. I gave her the number for Bobtails so the bucks can be found better homes although the lady said she would keep one of the bucks to put with her own two girls when they've all been neutered.

This made my day today, some people are still good and worth the time of day. The lady said now she knows I'm in the shop and know what I'm talking about with rabbit stuff she'll come back and see me if she needs help with anything. :D

6. helebelina

helebelina PetForums Senior

Jeez, I've said it before, but I don't know how you do your job. I would just get so upset meeting all the people who just don't deserve to be keeping buns. I'm glad it is at times rewarding though. That's what it is all about, and I'm so glad that your knowledge gets through to some people. :thumbup: I just wish that was the case with all bun owners. But keep up the good work. It's invaluable to the buns you help. :smilewinkgrin:

7. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

I was in my local P@H the other day and this couple were bringing a giant house bunny back as they had bought it for their 6 yr old child only a month ago and the child was already bored of it - i had to leave the store and when i got back in the car i was in such a bad mood, although i nearly said i will take it!! but at 38 wks pregnant my self and with another bun i didnt want to take on too much and not be able to give it anymore than it already had!!

Gill xXx

8. Weim<3

Weim<3 Banned

Wow and there was me feeling like a horrible mummy, for keeping my girl in a box for a matter of hours overnight in my room whilst her hutch was being disinfected with jayes fluid.
    I was literally up every half an hour worrying about her being in such a small area, which by the sounds of it was much bigger than this cage that this woman wanted to keep her bunny in for good!!

My 2 girls have a large 'upstairs' hutch, with a run beneath it, almost three times as wide as the hutch. I could never put them back into a standard sized hutch, they love their freedom :thumbup:

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Some people are just morons :( The lady I got bugsy from had him permanently in a poxy guinea pig cage with nothing at all in the cage just pellets when she remembered :mad: :mad: He now shares winnies room and has free range of it (now he behaves :rolleyes: ) :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice