Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by candysmum, Apr 27, 2011.

1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I booked a behaviourist for candy but had to cancel the appointment.

However the behaviourist when she rung never left me back from an email Never left me a contact phone number and as i emaield through her site i didn't have an email address can couldn't remember which site i had been contacted from.

So i emailed the ones i reconized to canncel the appoint.

Sadly ig ot the womans name wrong as well anyway i have a copy of the email and I went out today as I had canceled the email. I came back to an invoiced shoved through my door for £45 to cover her petrol fees because i broke the appointment she did travel 21 miles to get to me and has charged for the return as well, with a note on the back of it.

I have emailed her explaining i have tried to contact her but as she left me no contact details I did it the best i could and i feel i shouldn't have to pay the invoice.

No i understand she didn't get the email that i sent but i feel that its not entirely my fault as i did try and i have proof of this. I am not one for not keeping appointments as at the end of the day i am a photographer and I wouldn't be worth my salt if i didn't

I just want to know what you guys would do.

2. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Never been in that position myself and not 100% sure what I would do. Seems very strange that she didn't give you any contact details for just such a situation. I think I'd be tempted to query the bill and try to come to some arrangement.

Fine, give her something for the petrol she's used getting to you but I think £45 is a little steep.

3. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

thats what i was thinking I do not have an issue with paying for her fuel. I know in my tank of a car thats Petrol and drinks fuel i can do the mileage she is talking about with quoter of a tank which costs me about £20 to £25 to fill up. I dont mind paying her this.

But not £45. the whole appointment which would have been 2 hours in total was only £90!

4. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

sounds like she has added some of her time onto the invoice as well as her fuel, difficult one as suppose she would see it that she could have had another client paying the fee in place of your approintment and missed the opportunity, however as she didn't leave contact details then I'd suggest u pay her the fule but no more, thats the trouble with doing everything by email nowadays I suppose :D

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Yeah contacted a few people via their websites.

I am going to offer her £25 for her fuel and send the cheque stating if she cases it i will assume the matter is closed. and go fromt here

My best friend is a solictor so if needs be i'll get her to write the letter.

If i could remember EVERY website i visited then i'd be well impressed!

i even went through my Web history but as my computer is set to clear it every week then it wasn't on there!

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

To be honest I think you should pay it

Put yourself in her position (i'm going to make up some of the details here). Say you were booked for an appointment to go to someones house and take photographs for 2 hours, and by both of you being in a rush and forgetful you make an honest mistake and forgot to make sure they had your phone number and by honest mistake they forgot to ask. You've cleared a whole afternoon and traveled 21 miles to find nobody in for the appointment so you have to travel 21 miles home again after a wasted afternoon. You're not only out the cost of the fuel but you could have actually used the 2 hour slot for someone else and got £90 for it.

Unfortunately, and honestly, If it were me I'd pay it and call it an expensive lesson. I know it doesn't seem totally fair, but from their point of view it's not been fair on them either. It should have been £90 - seems right to split the cost and call it even.

#6 Helbo, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  7. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

i see what your saying I really do. I have already offered her the £25 via email. (the right one!) as her invoice has all her contact details on.

See What i do in my business is i confirm an appoint with a follow up letter which also has my details on.

It is human error on both parts I will see what she says about the offer of £25 in fuel and go from there if she refuses i will speak to my best friend who is a solictor and see what she says If i have to pay it I will.

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

You asked what we would do

I think that you both could have done more to be more professional regarding the appointment. Since you run a business making appointments, it's odd that you didn't ask for her contact details - it's odd she didn't give you them. It's odd you didn't write down how you'd contacted her to make the appointment with the appointment details - unless I'm mistaken, you contacted her so as far as she knows you could contact her again if there were to be any problems. It's not really her problem that you lost the contact details you did have at one point - perhaps she wrongly assumed you prefered to do business via e-mail as this is how you originally contacted her so she didn't think you'd want her phone number. It's been a big misunderstanding on both of your parts. So you should split the cost.

I'm surprised she isn't trying to charge you the full £90 as she fulfilled her end of the bargain by showing up for the appointment - seems like she's splitting the mistake with you by asking for £45. Seems reasonable.

I know it's not what you want to do, but I think it's what you should do, and it's what I would do, which is what you asked.

#8 Helbo, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Have to say I agree with helbo. She could of charged you the full £90 as she has lost that much in a missed appointment.

It was all done with no intention though and u were prepared to pay £90 so paying half seems v fair to me xx

10. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

point very well taken.

I'll write the stupid cheque and send it. lifes to short i guess to fight over a stupid £45.

Nix time i might recorded the phone conversation just so i remember to retain ALL the information lol

11. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Good to hear. You both made mistakes in making the appointment, and it feels really fair that you split the cost.

It's an expensive lesson

But think of it this way - you were prepared to pay her petrol at £25, so theres only a £20 tax for your part of the mistake. She's lost £45 too.

12. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I had this happen a couple of times when I used to practice as a behaviourist. Turning up to peoples homes, having made allowances for the time I would spend there, putting off other things I could have been doing was disheartening and annoying if they had cancelled and not actually told me. I always ensured that people had my phone number and email address when the appointment was made and that I needed adequate notice of a cancellation. So, looking at it from the behaviourist side, I can see her point. I was a softy and never bothered charging people for missed appointments but maybe I should have done? I think it is fair what the behaviourist is asking though (taking into account fuel, time, effort etc) and I think that you are right in paying it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we all make mistakes. ;) I hope that you find someone to help you with your dog and that everything goes well next time. :001_smile:

13. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I did try to cancel But like i said lifes to short! I have sent the cheque recorded delivery and sent her the tracking number also.

Like you i dont charge for cancelled appointments or ones that dont turn up or aren't in. Mainly becasue i dont charge for a Photo shoot either just the prints!

Oh well life goes on Next drama! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice