Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some help please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Waterlily, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Firstly ive had pet rats for years before so im not a total newb. But my dilemma is that a teeny wild rat has made its way from outside, and it has a huge slice akin to either a cat claw or knife kind of injury from its hip to under its tummy. Theres no blood but it looks like the cut goes right to an organ or something. Very strange wound. Its currently eating pasta from my hand in a glove, very tired and sore. Typing one handed lol..

I cant keep it as a pet its injured severely and I cant kill it its just not in me to do it. Wtf do i do ... he/she is about an inch long aside from the tail. should i put it outside to find its way to its nest or humanely figure out a way to end its pain.. My vet probably wont give 2 shits about a wild rat.

Advice/ideas anyone... cant add a question mark with one hand :Hungry

mods please keep this in general theres not enough people in the rodent section.

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Poor baby :( can't you tell your vet it's a skittish pet baby rat? Do you get pet agoutis there? What a dilemma to be in... :/

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

she/he isnt even skittish, poor thing. I made it a bed with a towel inside a footstool so it had tunnels and food and water but it walked up the side and i put my hand there so it ddnt fall and hurt itself again, and it just climbed into my glove where its been since, seems to feel safer in my hand. Agoutis, im not sure tbh i did have two brown rescued rats before they might have been agouti.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I'd maybe tell a white lie and say your baby got out of his cage and you found him like that? Personally I'd try and get him healed up then release somewhere 'safe' (safe as can be for a tiny rat!)

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Poor baby.xxx
    You are such a soft knob ...

6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Is it definitely a rat? It looks a bit like a mouse.

Not at all sure what I would do, maybe feed it up and let it go somewhere that might be safe for it.

ForestWomble and rona like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Would a wildlife rescue pts? Or just take it to your vet and ask them to.

If you are paying I can't see why they wouldn't tbh.

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Aw poor thing!
    Looks like a mouse to me too...
    If he/she is eating and moving maybe it doesn't have to be put out of it's misery? If a vet isn't an option, how about just putting it in a cage with some food and water and bedding and seeing what happens. If it stays alive and gains strength, then release, if it doesn't make it, at least it will be safe and warm to die peacefully...

LinznMilly and Calvine like this.
  9. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

defo looks like a little mouse ... v cute :)

10. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

defo mouse, ears and nose completely wrong for a rat
    Agouti is just the normal wild colour and pet mice and rats come in wild colour
    she may not be skittish now because she is in pain and malnourished/dehydrated if the wound is so bad it has inhibited it feeding itself
    there's also the chance that someones cat has got their pet and they've chucked it out to take its chance in the wild, many people think that money for vet care is wasted on a rat or mouse, that can be 'easily' replaced for around £10

If the injury is as bad as you describe, then taking it to a vet is the very least you can do, even if it is a decision to pts, it must be in tremendous pain, remember, it is instinctual in a wild animal [and a lot of pet animals that would be prey in the wild] not to show any weakness, or pain that may make it appear vulnerable and an easy target

Jobeth, ForestWomble and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I found an injured hedgehog. It was too late to take it to a rescue and so my vet's said that they would take care of it. I'm sure that if you offer to pay they won't care whether it is wild or an escaped pet.

12. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Does indeed look more like a mouse - I was just asking about the colour as Australia has different wildlife protection laws and restrictions on certain pets being owned. I recall a few years back an Australian forum user (on a purely rat-based forum) struggled with sourcing any pet rats other than the pews that originate from laboratories. There could have been some legal issues around having an agouti pet rodent.

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I dont think we have laws here about agoutis, the only rodent we cant have by law is a hamster. That person probably couldnt get the rat she wanted because there isnt as many rat owners here and before pet shops were closed they mainly had white ones for snake food.

This lil princess is now *adopted* by me, cant let her go out to the wild again im sure she will get eaten because my smell is over her now shes lost her scent to belong to her crew.. Im sure she is a 3 week baby rat, she has real thin fine fur as if she has only just got it. But mouse or not its deffo a baby, Ive never really seen a house mouse up close so maybe she is.

My vet will see her after work, the wound isnt bleeding but her left hip, and under looks half dissected or a deformation but she is eating and moving like mentioned, so thats another reason she cant go outside again, she will be eaten pretty fast. She was very thirsty and tired and shes not as interested in me today.

I spent literally hundreds before when I had pet rats on vet bills as well as bedding, ferret kingdoms etc, I dont see them as easily replaceable, its also why I stopped having them, I would get attached and then they would get pneumonia or a tumour and I'd have to say goodbye after only a year or 2 with them.

But.. looks like i got a pet... mouse :p

edited to say, sadly the vet advised to put her to sleep, she was in too much pain and wouldnt heal sufficiently.

#13 Waterlily, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice