Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some help in finding an alternative

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lukusma, Sep 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM.

1. Lukusma

Lukusma PetForums Newbie

Hey! New user here but I've been reading the forums for a couple of months now.

My wife and I have wanted a dog for such a long time but we've never been able to due to work commitments. But, as a result of Covid, we're both able to work from home now and in the future so as our working circumstance shave changed for the better we feel we're ready to welcome a dog to the family.

We were looking at what we'd like and had set our hearts on a Cavapoo, mostly down to how lovely they look but also because, from what we've read, they tend to be really friendly and easy to train. But having read threads on here and doing some research on breeders, I've been put off a bit, not just because of the extortionate prices (£3,000ish!) but because these dogs mostly seem to come from puppy farms (which we obviously want to avoid) and can therefore have bad health issues.

I am a first time dog owner but my wife has owned a dog, similar looking to a Cavapoo, when she lived with her parents so has some experience in dog ownership. Because I've not owned a dog, we want a breed (or cross-breed, if safe) that is friendly, easy to train, relatively calm but also active outside.

My wife wanted an Akita prior to wanting a Cavapoo but they can be stubborn, difficult to train and are for experienced dog owners from what I know!

So, can anyone offer any alternatives to a Cavapoo that has a friendly, calm nature, easy to train and likes to play outside? And also where is best to look for one?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thank you

Torin. likes this.
  2. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Why not remove the Cav part and actually get a Poodle as they are fun lively trainable dogs, come in 3 sizes of toy, miniature and standard can be left in more of a teddy cut so they have a more Cavapoo look although they do need to be brushed often but then so would a Cavapoo.

JoanneF, LittleMow, Torin. and 10 others like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have miniature poodles. They do not shed, whereas a Cavalier cross poodle has a 50 percent chance of shedding and not having a poodle type coat. Cavaliers have a few very serious health problems so they are a risk. Poodles are very trainable but are more energetic than Cavaliers. The cross breed could turn out either way. I have been noticing that badly bred, mismarked and non health tested and unregistered poodles are going for ridiculous prices - 2 to 4k. Well bred, registered health tested ones are far more reasonable because they are bred by enthusiasts of the breed not money grabbers.

lorilu, Burrowzig, MontyMaude and 6 others like this.
  4. Lukusma

Lukusma PetForums Newbie

Thank you both for your suggestions. I just searched "miniature poodle teddy cut" and I swear some the images were the same ones that showed up when we were researching Cavapoos ha! They do look lovely. Are they a friendly and cuddly? For example, would they like to lay on you on the sofa?

My wife isn't too fond of poodles but I think it's more of the non-teddy cuts that she's not a fan of.

5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I think a lot of people discount poodles because of what they see in a show ring without realising that in real life most poodles look nothing like the show dogs and have the simple puppy cut and look pretty similar to all these Poo crosses. What you will get from a well bred dog from a hobby type enthusiast breeder is a high chance of having a dog which lives a long and healthy life along with the backup from a caring breeder who will be able to help with any problems you may encounter as new dog owners.

JoanneF, Lukusma, Torin. and 6 others like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

IMG_20170322_144305655.jpg They are very cuddly, as are most dogs.

JoanneF, Lukusma, LittleMow and 9 others like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you do a short clip like I do there is very little brushing, just ears and head and tail really

9. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I would second (third, fourth or whatever) the poodle suggestion. I’m no expert, but plan to get a miniature poodle when the time is right. I think they are sadly overlooked, and agree that a lot of this is due to people being put off by the show coat. If that puts you, or your wife, off have a google for poodles and you’ll see a multitude of clips and different looks. Don’t be put off by a haircut - it’s the dog underneath that counts and you can clip the coat in whatever way suits you.

Lukusma, Sarah H, MontyMaude and 2 others like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you are considering a crossbreed then look in rescue first as there will be plenty of Lockdown rejects once the novelty wears off :(

You’ll also have a better idea of it’s temperament and whether it’s affectionate with people.

It will cost nowhere near the silly price some breeders are charging atm and you will be helping the rescue rather than potentially lining the pockets of an unscrupulous puppy farmer.

Rather than worry about looks I’d see which dog you click with. I went in wanting a small dog and fell in love with a Grey x Saluki and no regrets :)

Lukusma, O2.0, Sarah H and 4 others like this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd go for a Poodle, lovely intelligent dogs love a cuddle on the sofa and easy to train. You can talk to a the breeder and check that all the right health tests have been done. The problem with cross breeds is that can inherit problems from both parents so you'll need to good insurance.

You don't have too have them trimmed silly like the show dogs, you can have them trimmed how you want short or as long just as you like.

12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

So true. Milly was supposed to be a Bichon Frise. :D

Honey wasn't planned at all - but don't tell her that. :p

Lurcherlad, Sarah H and SusieRainbow like this.
  13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Miniature Schnauzers are super happy go lucky little dogs. A very hardy healthy breed, Easy to train and very "cuddlesome"! You can keep them clipped for summer and allow them to grow shaggy during the winter.

I've got two - soon to be three - and love them to bits!

The shaggy look.

DSC02386.JPG

Cut short.

DSC02474.JPG

SbanR, LittleMow, MontyMaude and 2 others like this.
  14. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

I have a toy poodle puppy aged 7 months who is very energetic and full of fun. The two in the photo were both toy poodles called Rusty and Pepe and they were both lovely dogs, Teddy has come from the same breeder so I know he has been well bred. This is Teddy. 98F9C2C4-6587-4429-AC71-2E645BBC3BD8.jpeg

SbanR, Torin., MontyMaude and 3 others like this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Poodle. They're such bright and clever dogs - more active than cavapoos but that could be because they have hearts that work properly. I'm really a collie person but a miniature poodle is on the cards for when I'm too old and knackered to keep a collie.

Lurcherlad, MontyMaude, rona and 2 others like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am still a collie person at heart.

17. Lukusma

Lukusma PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your responses so far! I think we will go down the rescue route as well and who knows, maybe we'll find a completely different breed and want to take a a rescue dog home. :) But if we do go down the puppy route, how much would we be looking to pay on average? I know everyone says not to pay a deposit on a dog, but it seems to be common practice from what I have seen so far. Could it be that good reputable breeders are following that way now as well? I contacted a few miniature poodle breeders just to see if they had any puppies available and 2/3 did. Those 2 were both looking at a £200 deposit and prices of £3,000 or slightly less which immediately put me off.

18. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

A lot of breeders will ask for a deposit, but good breeders will do that once the pups are a few weeks old and have had a chat with you, and it's more so that they don't get let down as they will only sell to people they trust. Whereas bad breeders will basically almost force you to pay for a deposit in order to get you to buy the pup and get as much money as soon as possible!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice