UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

is it ok to move my puppies to live outside in the shed ?

our bitch decided to make her nest in our room indoors (we didnt mind) but before that she lived outside

we have a run for our other dogs and attached is a wooden shed that i had her in when she became pregnant

will it be ok to move her back into the shed now along with her new puppies, obviously i will make sure the puppies cannot get out of the shed untill they have had needles etc etc

cheers

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi

is it ok to move my puppies to live outside in the shed ?

our bitch decided to make her nest in our room indoors (we didnt mind) but before that she lived outside

we have a run for our other dogs and attached is a wooden shed that i had her in when she became pregnant

will it be ok to move her back into the shed now along with her new puppies, obviously i will make sure the puppies cannot get out of the shed untill they have had needles etc etc

cheers
So you want to put 3 day old pups out in a shed thats unheated now the weathers turned colder?

A Guide To Breeding Your Dog 12 - Keep Your Puppies Warm, Fed, and Clean Temperature. A newborn puppy cannot control its body temperature and must be kept in a warm environment. Chilling will stress the puppy and predispose it to infectious disease; overheating can kill it. The environmental temperature can be controlled with a well-insulated electric heating pad or a heat lamp. But make sure the puppies have a cooler place to crawl to if they become too warm. The immediate environmental temperature should be kept between 85 and 90 degrees for the first five days of life. From the seventh to the tenth day, the temperature can be gradually reduced to 80 degrees; by the end of the fourth week it can be brought down to 75 degrees.

How will you will you know they are all feeding OK, or if the Mum rolls or lays on them?

Also how will you know if Mum is developing something like Mastitis and not feeding them properly?

Did you actually do any reasearch on welping and raising puppies?

·
Registered
367 Posts
No,i think puppies are too delicate to be left outside.

But it all depends.Is there heating,clean warm soft bedding,good air circulation,good lighting etc?
If not then its a definite no no for me I'm afraid.

And you say that the dog run of your other dogs is attached to this shed,if so then the mother may be very unhappy with the other dogs around her pups,likewise i would worry about the interactions between the other dogs and the puppies too. A protective mother with pups doesn't belong unsupervised with other dogs,too risky IMO.

Finally, inside a house is much cleaner,warmer and safer than outside in a shed and the mother may not take to moving to a shed very easily.

So,IMO,no i think its best that they stay inside.

Its far too dangerous to be honest. Puppies are delicate things,they cant defend themselves,depending on the age they may not be able to see, they cant move too well and you wont be able to keep an eye on them and the mother. (i know of puppies that were crushed by their mother because they were left alone for an hour!)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
:( I really advise strongly not to put them outside.
They will get far too cold and probably die as they won't be able to regulate their own body temp.
Surely it will be better for the puppies and the mum to be in a home environment and get used to everyday noises before they find new homes (That is of course if you are planning to part with them)

G

·
You are really wanting to make people like you, aren't you? Desex your bitch, take up a hobby that doesn't involve anything living. Getting an idea of your answer?

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
How can you keep a close eye on your bitch if she and her pups are outside.

Maybe your bitch was giving you a hint that inside is the place to have pups at this time of year.....not an outbuilding with no heating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok ok i read your comments

the reason i ask this is beacuse we have kids in the house coming and going and our bitch is getting somewhat stressted, noise etc etc

I understand all you guys say about the mother sitting or laying on the pups but this will be only in night time as in the daytime we can always check on them, in the house at night when we are sleeping we cant check on her or the pups can we ?

the shed itself is insulated and does have some heat in it, its not an old tatty shed that maybe you are thinking it is or something but im not that stupid to put 3 day old pups out in the cold

yes i did look into things before i breed my dogs, but im pretty sure i dont know it all like most of you seem to do:rolleyes:

I do agree as now it is getting colder it might be a bad thing but if i dont ask i wouldnt really know would i

anyhow i think its fair to say its a no for now and i thank you for the replies

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Could you not move mum and pups up to your bedroom - quiet during the day away from all the kids but easy to check on and you can keep an eye on them through the night.
It's important for the pups to get used to the noises and smells of a house for their development.
When mum is less stressed and pups are more active you can move them down stairs.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
ok ok i read your comments

the reason i ask this is beacuse we have kids in the house coming and going and our bitch is getting somewhat stressted, noise etc etc
I'm not surprised. Mum needs a quiet place where she can feel safe. Did you not plan for this before you considered breeding?:mad:

I understand all you guys say about the mother sitting or laying on the pups but this will be only in night time as in the daytime we can always check on them, in the house at night when we are sleeping we cant check on her or the pups can we ?
Yes you can - I sleep with mum and pups for the first few weeks.

the shed itself is insulated and does have some heat in it, its not an old tatty shed that maybe you are thinking it is or something but im not that stupid to put 3 day old pups out in the cold

yes i did look into things before i breed my dogs, but im pretty sure i dont know it all like most of you seem to do:rolleyes:
There's looking into things and doing it properly :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised to find out that you're breeding huskies. :(

I do agree as now it is getting colder it might be a bad thing but if i dont ask i wouldnt really know would i

anyhow i think its fair to say its a no for now and i thank you for the replies
I'm not sure what else to add :(

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Maybe you should teach your kids how to be calm and quiet around the mum and pups and tell them the reasons for this. Kids will be kids, but it's important for them to be aware of the needs of your dog and the pups and to respect that. Like everyone's said, bad idea to have them in the cold. Ideally the pups will be in your home, warm and thriving and getting used to having kids around as no doubt some of them will go to homes with children.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
You know, I'm beyond words right now, you want to move pups outside because you're frightened the kids are making too much noise? Did you not plan for this? I'm sorry but this is not the way to breed dogs :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what the hell is wrong with some of you people

I ask a simple question or 2 and i get shot down with the smart arse comments

if thats how people act on this site you can go and piss off

·
Banned
21,573 Posts

I take it you didn't get the reply you were looking for, I'd apologise, but really I can't find sympathy to do so right this minute.

G

·

simple solution , put the kids outside:eek: :D;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take it you didn't get the reply you were looking for, I'd apologise, but really I can't find sympathy to do so right this minute.
You seem to think i would not or have not told my kids to keep the noise down

I figured the best place for our bitch and pups to get as much quietness as poss would be the shed, obviously i was wrong

·
Registered
367 Posts

You asked the questions and you got answers. I get that you may be annoyed but is there really any need to use that kind of language?

You complain about some of us being rude,yet you are no better with this foul language.

You wont always get the answers you are looking for so just deal with it and accept what people say, life ain't aways fair!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You asked the questions and you got answers. I get that you may be annoyed but is there really any need to use that kind of language?

You complain about some of us being rude,yet you are no better with this foul language.

You wont always get the answers you are looking for so just deal with it and accept what people say, life ain't aways fair!
i take good and bad replies thats no problem, i wont take smart arse ******s with smart arse replies

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
You seem to think i would not or have not told my kids to keep the noise down

I figured the best place for our bitch and pups to get as much quietness as poss would be the shed, obviously i was wrong
I never mentioned your kids, sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for. Breeding dogs is not easy, not if you do it ethically, not a dig at you at all, but perhaps this has opened your eyes as to just how difficult it really is.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.