Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kath123, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kath123

kath123 Guest

I am having some life changing work done on my teeth as they are really goofy and bad.
    I went to see an orthodontist and they have given me some options which are:

1. Have implants which would cost £10,000 :(

2. Have braces which would cost £2,900 would mean having a non fixed brace, then a fixed brace, and wear head gear as well, all that would take about 2/3 years in total but he could improve them in time for the wedding.

3. The dentist take my 4 front teeth out and have dentures put in instead that would be about £500.

4. Leave them like they are and do nothing.

What would you choose? ive got till 31st July to make my decision.

xxx

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'd go for a brace, they are non - invasive don't hurt only when it is time to have them tightened (discomfort only lasts a few days, easily sorted with a couple of paracetamol)

I had a brace, a fixed one, not sure what you have been offered?

Edited :- just read again..

Mine was a fixed brace, didn't have to wear head gear - did have to use elastics as the treatment was coming to an end, personally, I'd leave things as they are unless you have real hang ups about your teeth - have you not been offered veneers?

#2 Nicci, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  3. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Ooohhh thats a hard one kathryn! Im not sure tbo!! £10.000 is a lot of money!! and im not sure I could be doing with the braces scenario!!.....hard decision :idea: what are you veering towards??

4. animallover111

I have a feeling your thinking towards having your front teeth taken out and having dentures???.....it would be a quick fix and your teeth would be lovely for your wedding day.....

I wouldnt have implants two of my clients have had them and one has had nothing but problems with hers.....and £10,000 is a lot of money......

The brace would be the best option in my opinion thinking long term but i know just how perfect you want your wedding day to be........xxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would go for the brace if you can cope,
    It's not as invasive as implants, living with dentures seems a bit drastic to me.
    The braces may take a while but I'm sure the results will be fantastic.
    Will you have to wear the head gear during the day or only at night?

6. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Jeez you are brave...:eek:

I think i'd prefer to have 10grand down on a new car & make do with the teeth...:D

7. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

I'd have the teeth taken out. I am terrified of the dentist so for me having them out and dentures in would be the best option, less repeat visits!

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

8. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Not sure if it would be suitable for you, but I had a clearstep brace, which is an invisible brace, it worked really well for me, maybe you could ask about it?

Clearstep the Clearest brace in the world

9. I would have the implants without a shawdow of a doubt! The only reason that I have not had them as yet is that my dentist does not rcommend them at the moment do to the amount of bone that is remaining!!! I am however hopeful that I shall be able to have them in the future! My dentist (it may be different) quoted me £6000 ish for four teeth by the way! (but that ws some time ago) Don't want to be the one to suggest this but you can get it done for much less if you go abroad!! Wish I had the guts!!!!!
    lol
    DT

10. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Hard decision to make :confused:

Can you not have your front teeth crowned?

Good luck with whatever you decide

Ellie x

11. A bridge also springs to mind! but the teeth either side have to be stable!

12. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thank you everyone, i was going toward having them out and dentures but after speaking to a few people and reading up on it the dentures give you a lot of hassle and can be painful, with your gum reciding etc and mouth sores.

So now i am going towards the braces, yes the headgear is going to be a nightmare but i am only going to wear it during the night and when i am in the house on my own!!!

I do want my wedding day to be perfect but if my teeth are just a little bit better than they are now then i will be happier. And my wedding is for 1 day and i have to live with not having any front teeth for the rest of my life if i have dentures.

God i dont know!!! i am in a right pickle over it. xxxx

13. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i would go for the braces option. i assume you only have crooked teeth and not damaged or many noticable fillings on the front teeth.

If you like your teeth other than their position then it is a waste of time and money to have anything else done.
    If your teeth are discoloured i would suggest using pearl drops or similar starting a few months before your wedding. it certainly worked for my husband who has naturally non-white teeth.

14. animallover111

Good choice Kathryn.....i think the brace is the best option....i thought you would be thinking towards dentures...though its a bit drastic...especailly if your own teeth are ok......seems silly having healthy teeth taken out at a young age........:)

15. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thank you, they are a bit discoloured as well as stick out!!! :(

But the dentist has said he can sort that out for me as well before the wedding so that would be great.
    The dentist has said that my teeth are healthy teeth despite there shape and colour, they are very good teeth so isnt really happy to take them out.

xxxx

16. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

I think i'd discount the £10k treatment but the others would depend on time scale and affordability....both will have the same results i'd say :)

17. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Sounds like its probably the best option to go for braces....and if you only wear head gear at night thats even better! just dont hurt Dean in the night!!;):D:D:D I think dentures is a bit drastic and the £10.000 is a lot of money - its ok if you can afford it I suppose but not everyone can......and with your wedding coming up you want to save as much money as poss......im sure you will look stunning Kath!!!:Dxxxxx

18. animallover111

Hey suze you might have some competition.....if Kathryn will be wearing head gear at night too......:eek: :D
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

19. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thanks hun, i think it is a drastic decision to be making having dentures when it is for 1 day of my life that yes is going to be the best day of my life but i may well regret the decision afterwards.

I suppose i have to stop thinking about the wedding and that i am doing it FOR my wedding and think that it is for the rest of my life!!! :)

20. animallover111

Whats important Kathryn is your doing it for you.......:)
    xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice