Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

some advice please

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ButterflyBlue, May 11, 2010.

1. ButterflyBlue

ButterflyBlue PetForums Senior

Hi guys, OH is buying me a hamster for my birthday :thumbup: my own hamster which was a lovely dwarf hamster died about 3 weeks ago, had him for 3 and a half years but he had a three tiered cage which my local petshop sold to me but they didn't know it wasn't for hamsters, it was actually for birds as it had these little ladders and everything! But the night he died, he crawled onto the ceiling of his cage and then let go and fell onto the floor, broken his spine cos after he went to sleep at 3 am he did not wake up again :( and stopped breathing :( but i'm happy he lived to a ripe old age.

anyway now i'm thinking of getting a syrian hamster but feel slightly scared as my cousin's syrian bit me quiet hard when he was first crawling on my lap :eek:

what sort of food should i be feeding him? my old hamster used to have harry hamster mix, fresh veg, pasta shaped and bits of cheese and nuts with biscuits once a week.

also i need to get my confidence back up with handling a syrian :eek:

just some advice of feeding and handling please :)

2. Myth

Myth PetForums Member

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Am sorry about your other hamster...but that is a good age!!

Erm...with risk of spoiling things...are you sure a syrian would be the best thing then? They need confident handling to really tame. If your a little nervous about it you could drop them etc...which would scare them...and maybe cause erratic behaviour such as biting? I am only asking as one of my friends was bitten by one and then after that just never them as confidently again!

If you are genuinely not traumatised by your experience...then make sure you go to a breeder where they have been well handled! Or maybe even an already trained adult to get you more confident. I now have three Syrians, 2 adults that never bite and one baby who hasnt bitten me yet!! As far as I'm aware biting isn't very common btw!!

Where are you based? I know a lady in Chester still has a couple left...where I got my baby from...and they are so cute and tame and healthy!

And do look at Myth's page...I looked at that a while ago and it is amazing!!! I didn't know it was yours tho Myth! Thanks!!

4. ButterflyBlue

I'm still considering whether to get a syrian or not, after what you've said perhaps I should leave it for a while then? But it would be nice to have a change because i've always had dwarfs!

Not too sure why my cousin's syrian bit me, all he did was walk about on my lap? I'm not scared of them or frightened, just will be a bit nervous the first time I have told hold him I suppose?

But I've also heard dwarfs can live together sociably for their lives?

I was thinking of getting two female dwarfs, my three tiered cage is quiet big, enough space for two wheels in there and loads of running space more.

What do you lot think?

Thanks for the two links, they are very helpful!

Obviously if I get a syrian, it will only be one as I know they are solitary

5. ButterflyBlue

oh and forgot to say i live in london!

6. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Just some tips ive used Let hammie get into ball itself.. they tend to cause they are so nosey.. let it run its legs off..lol Then sit somewhere safe and let hammie run over you.. Hammie will get used to you.. Our Jamie tamed one of ours and me the other... He just gently scooped for seconds then gradually longer over a couple of nights and they just tamed up... try not too handle them when they hav food or are ging to eat.. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice