Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some advice on introducing a new feline family member please?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by stinkerbellesmum, Apr 12, 2011.

1. stinkerbellesmum

stinkerbellesmum PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    New to the forum, so hi all.
    Have 2 domestic longhairs, one male, one female, both neutered, 3 years old. Would like to add to the numbers, but not sure which sex/age to introduce for harmonious living!
    Cat 1, female, Stinkerbelle, tortie, timid, mostly indoor cat, but very playful and kittenish.
    Cat 2, Batty Boy Cat (dont ask!) Large male, dominant if allowed, outdoors boy, but very loving when in the house, loves the tortie to bits.
    Any advice gratefully received. Both cats have free access via cat flap, 24/7, excellent cat playground beyond my garden. Another female would be my choice, but would like some advice on this if poss? Kitten or adult?
    Thanks all
    Jane:001_smile:

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I have never had any problems introducing cats to one another.
    2 Years ago i introduced a 11 month old male BSH to a 15 year old BSH and a 15 year old moggy.
    I made sure that the new comer was not dominant in personality.
    We bought him home and showed the two cats him in his carrier and then we took him upstairs.
    we bought him down stairs every day for the first few days for them to see him, leaving the time down stairs a little longer each time. He was always in the carrier.
    After about 4 days we opened the carrier and then after a week we let him out freely with the others spending about 30 minutes at a time.
    The older cats then went for a good sniff round his room as well.
    It took just a couple of weeks to introduce them but for about a month he slept upstairs in a spare room and when we went out we separated them just in case.

Last year when one of the older ones died we got a BSH kitten and within 2 days they were fully introduced.
    I think it's just knowing your cats and how you think they would get on.
    Take it very very slowly and treat them all the same so they don't get jealous.

These are two pictures of the last introduction. Day 1. and Day 2
    Now they are Best friends and are always together.
    The 17 year old is fine with her too. It just took her a little longer to be friends. ( about 5 months)

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi...i personally think the sex has not got alot to do with how long it will take for your existing cats to get used to a new addition

Its more the character of the cat i think...i would personally go for a younger cat..the other two will still feel dominant then and hopefully adjustment will be quicker.

Lots of us on here have had experience with adding a new cat to the brood so we will all be here to give advice and any help needed :D

Sounds like your new addition will have a lovely forever home with you all

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice