Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some advice for those 'accidental' pregnancies

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by newbie1, Apr 11, 2011.

1. newbie1

newbie1 PetForums Newbie

After reading some threads on here I thought id share our story with you.
    Our cat is a beautiful pure white moggy, and our first vet informed us, that as she was 14months old and had never come into heat, she most likely had a testicle inside her, making her a 'he she' cat.
    Not one to doubt our vet, we went home, only for 6weeks later to find our cat was indeed pregnant.
    We changed vets, and with his advice, we continued her pregnancy, mainly because we had solid relaible homes for any kittens born. (this one appointment cost £56)
    At this point, i was very, very neive (sp) to cat pregnancy, and had i known what i do now, I would of aborted the regnancy, even though she was far along the pregnancy, nothing could of prepared me for what happened during the birth.
    First of all, kitten one didnt come out in its sack, infact, all i saw was a perfectly formed paw- complete with claws, almost hanging out of poor mums bits.... She was screaming, something that i dont think Ill ever forget, and when kitten one was eventually born, Mum cat didnt lick it, or eat the afterbirth, she just sat there.
    AT this point, i called our emergancy vet, who was on call dealing with another emergacy, so it was me, my husband and the cat,
    She then gave birth to kitten 2, again, showed no interest in the kitten, so again, i had to cut the cord, tie the cord, help the little kitten breathe,
    Kitten 3 came out shortly after, and mum DID show materna signs and eventually took the 3 kittens and nursed them.
    However, she then went into shock, so me, mum cat, 3 kittens and lots of blankets rushed to the vets, and after various med and fluids, we came home (this appointment cost £78)
    We also had to stock up on replacemnet milk, bottles ect for if she regected them again. Costing another £50.

The kittens then had all the usual treatments, worming, vaccinations ect, costing at least £200.
    The kittens are 8weeks old now, and will be going to forever homes (fully vaccinated, wormed, flea treated- again more expense) in 2 -3weeks.

So, to people who, like me a few months back, think, Oh, having kittens is natural, mum cat will be fine... Your wrong.
    Leave it to people who know what they are doing, trust me, its hard work, its emotionally draining- i was a wreck thinking that we almost lost 2 of the kittens, and had i of been at tesco doing my shopping, i would of come home to dead kittens, and mum cat would of bled to death if not died from shock.

I would no way of continued the pregnancy had i read half of this information on here, and yes, i should of had 'he she' cat neautured when the first vet told me she was a half he, but I didnt, because they had told me it was 99% likely she wouldnt be fertile, it seems that 1% is a big number after all.
    Luckily, im in a finaicial position where i could afford the vets bills, But what if your cute moggy who 'accidently fell pregnant' suffers like my mum cat did ?
    can you seriously give 8weeks of your time, empty your bank account when needed, and risk losing your beloved cat before or during birth ?

I know regular memebsr say this time and time again, but trust me, it is the BEST thing for your cat, to have her neautured.
    Poor mum cat has been through SO much stress, been pumped full of medicins, all because I was to late getting her spayed.

Do your pet a favour, be resposnible. get her spayed NOW. if shes just 'caught' you can still have her neautured, save her heartache and pain.

Oh, and mum cat is currently in being spayed as i type. £40 for spaying, compared to the hundreds of pounds spent on 3 kittens who luckily i ahve homes for, but more to often you will hear 'Id love a kitten' Then youll be let down. and left with goodness knows how many kittens.
    ALl my kittens are being rehomed with people wh have paid a 'neauturing deposit' to the vets, to stop them going through any of the above to.

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

very good thread hun :) point well made

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

First up, I fully understand all that you are saying.

HOWEVER.... not everyone can live with the decision to abort kittens and I, for one, am glad.

My Merson was an 'accident' - Mummy was at the vet for her op when the vet called the owner to advise that his mummy was preggie. He offered to continue with the spaying but the owner was not happy with that & allowed her cat to go through with the pregnancy. Had she not, I would never have had my Merson and, by golly, I love that cat more than I will ever be able to express.

I know they say you don't miss what you've never had but Merson has given me so much love, affection and good times and he is such a beautiful boy that for him to have been aborted would have been sacrilige!

I know there will be many who'll shout me down on this but I don't care.

There are many people here whose much loved babies have come about as accidents so they will know where I am coming from.

Yes, prevention is much better but there ARE such things as happy accidents. I know, I have just spent 10 years with one.

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I have known too many cats die during birth and complications to be sentimental about kittens that are yet to be. I would rather save the lives of the cats that are alive already.

Any cat can be loving and bring a wonderful life. I am glad Merson has been a wonderful cat to you, but to say a world without him would be sacrilegious is a bit silly, in my opinion. If Merson was a girl, and got pregnant, and died during birth, how would you then feel?

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hindsight is 20/20

6. newbie1

newbie1 PetForums Newbie

well if what ive said can maybe get ONE person to have their cat spayed, then it was worth my typing.

people seem to think its happy ever afters with fluffy little kittens, when its NOT.

Its not fair on the mother cat (as ive found out the HARD way) and infact, its dam right selfish of a pet owner to choose to breed their cat without the relevant info/guidence/experience.

Also, I dont think some cat owners are aware that a cat can still be spayed shortly after mating, and although some people say 'I cant abort a kitten' How about 'You CAN save your cats life ?'

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

So why is it ok to abort kittens but if it were babies being discussed, the argument would be very different?

Yes I am sure that many cats have difficult pregnancies but there are just as many who have very easy pregnancies. In the same way that some humans have bad pregnancies and some have easy ones. We don't go around telling all female humans to get rid of their babies because 'they MIGHT have a bad pregnancy' do we?????

I still fully agree that prevention is best, I applaud you sharing your terrible experience with us and if it may make some owners get off their butts & sort out their cats sooner rather than later even better BUT anyone who does NOT choose to have their already pregnant queen spayed, and the kittens aborted, is NOT A BAD PERSON! They need to make the decision that THEY can live with.

#7 MoggyBaby, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  8. newbie1

newbie1 PetForums Newbie

wow........really do need a *bang head here* sign for this site!

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Yeah, tell me about it!!!! :mad2:

10. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

MoggyBaby just put her views across, dont think there is anything wrong in that .....

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I don't really want to get into the pregnant spay debate. Suffice to say that most likely I, myself, wouldn't spay a cat past a certain stage of pregnancy unless, on balance of veterinary opinion, it would endanger her health for the pregnancy to continue.

That said, I do notice that some people erroneously compare a human pregnancy to that of a cat. Up to day 12 in a feline pregnancy there IS no embryo, added to which spaying up to that stage (and much veterinary opinion states somewhat beyond that stage because of the still very minimal extra lood supply to the uterus) is equally as safe as a routine spay where no mating has occurred.

Given that many people who post here asking for advice own a female who has only very recently (i.e. within 12 days) escaped/been mated/possibly been mated/etc, I think the above is worth bearing in mind when it comes to the advice they receive here.

12. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

That is the thoughts of all of the people in rescue I know :)

13. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Sorry but this is factually incorrect. New life begins the moment the sperm meets the egg. If you want to call it a "pre-embryo" or something then I suppose you can but the usual scientific term is simply embryo. What you mean is that it has not yet implanted.

Liz

14. gskinner123

I respect your viewpoint, Liz, on when life begins. But I personally hold a different opinion. A blastocyst, pre the formation of an embryo, is a microscopic cluster of less than a hundred cells - that is fact. We may disagree about when actual life begins and, of course, I respect your beliefs and equally your right to express them.

However, when it comes to sharing information with people who come on this forum, telling of the cat that is accidentally pregant and trying to discover what the options are, I think it important to point out the above. It's a distressing thought for many people, the idea of aborting an embryonic foetus; that is what they picture. It's vital that people are in possession of the full facts and are not being swayed by emotional argument, whether pro-life or not.

15. newbie1

newbie1 PetForums Newbie

The point of me posting wasnt in anyway to start a debate on spaying whilst pregnant, it was just to show all these people who think its an easy ride having kittens (ive seen many topics started here by people who find themselves in different situations regarding unplanned pregnancy where people think, or seem to come across that its a easy ride with a few cute fluff balls at the end of it) that in fact, it can be a very hard journey, not only for the queen, but for us as owners.

In no way was my post to anger or upset any person here. I do apoligise if its come across that way.

16. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I think your point has gotten across very well. :)

17. MatildaG

MatildaG PetForums Member

I don't think you need to apologise - it was a very refreshing, honest post which I hope makes future people of the 'I just want one litter before spaying' school of thought think again....

Good luck with the kittens! x

18. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Yes, and technically that is an embryo. Blastocyst is a type of embryo.

blastocyst (embryo phase) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

The way you worded it, it sounded as if you were claiming that fertilisation doesn't take place for 12 days! I suspect cat embryos have rather more than 100 cells by 12 days since I can't see any reason why they would take that long to get that far, but I can't quickly find any scholarly articles on this.

Liz

19. gskinner123

I think we're diverting this somewhat off topic!

I'm well aware that a blastocyst is referred to as embryonic, even in scientific terms; an embryonic form of life, much as an acorn is to an oak... but I still wouldn't call an acorn an oak :) A blastocyst is small number of *undifferentiated* cells and that, to me, is the key. I do appreciate though that from your religious standpoint you will hold a very different opinion.

20. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Yes, but what you said was that at 12 days there were no embryos.

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice