Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Some adive Please feel like I'm banging my head against the wall

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ShelybellyandTeamC, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Hey everyone
    Be ready super long post!!!

Iv just got back from the vets for Sheldons regular weight check up only too be told once again he hasn't lost any weight and they want me to reduce his food some more!!
    (Ok so here is the back story in a nut shell
    I originally took sheldon to the vets in august last year as people commented that he was massive!! and I will admit I didnt know any better and was feeding him a terrible diet!, turned out his was overweight he weighted 6.7kg! I got given a diet (dry) food to put him on and yes he did loose weight but once he got to 6.3kg he seemed to get stuck so they changed him onto a dif diet (dry) food and he got to 6.1kg then he started drifting between 6.1kg and 5.9kg and has seemed to have stuck there once I joined this forum I realized dry food wasn't the best for him and i have changed him over to a 95% wet diet with One small handful of dry a day split between morning and night)

Ok so thats the back story so I went back today for his weight check up and hes still at 6.1kg and now she wants me to cut his food down even more and I don't know if this is the best thing for him! she wants me to cut the dry down to only half a handful a day I don't feel like this will keep him full through the day.
    I have already been told he will NEVER be your regular 4kg cat as he is very "tall" or has long limbs (if he stands on his back legs he can reach our kitchen counter top) so they would be happy with him getting to 5.5kg and think that would be a safe weight for him.
    I have him running round for 30min a day plus what his normal playing that puddytats do.

I don't know maybe its just me but I don't feel like by cutting any more food out will do anything other then make him hungry and grumpy
    Don't get me wrong I know he is overweight and needs to loose that extra 0.5kg but I don't feel like this is the right way to go about it.
    Can anyone give me any advice on this subject and if you think id be doing the right thing by ignoring what they said this time and just getting him to be more active?

OK thanks for sticking with me through that massive thread.
    x

2. AlfiesArk

AlfiesArk PetForums VIP

Is he a specific breed?? As average weights tend to vary be breed.

Em

3. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Which wet and dry are you giving him?

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Photos needed - show us - top down view and side on view - lets see his belly etc. He may just be a big cat.

Stop the dry completely - it has carbs and carbs aren't good when trying to lose weight. If he needs a treat get dried chicken or the such like - something with no added sugars of carbs. Stick with the wet only. Try to make it a goodish wet - something like Bozita pate, Smilla, Grau etc. They fill up more on this as it is so full of protein so don't feel hungry as much. And then see how he goes. Felix and Whiskas etc have carbs and sugars and all of these are retained by a cat in the form of fat as they can't metabolise them properly.

It's quite probable though that he is just a bit cat.

5. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

ive looked at your profile pics of sheldon and he looks ok to me.
    michelle x

6. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

Me too and also don't think he looks overweight but what do I know I live with a monster ;) Maybe try and increase his exercise and cut out the dry food if they are that concerned.

7. ShelybellyandTeamC

Hi guys
    Sorry for taking a while to reply tried to take pics for you guys and he was having non of it lol but managed to get a couple

He is just a DSH
    I feed him natures menu I would like to look into buying him better online however I am unable to store food in bulk due to down sizing homes as we are trying to save a deposit to buy our first home and I have no one who has any spare room for me to store it nor do either of us drive so I couldn't even store it in a car boot so unfortunately he will have to be on natures menu till next year at least ( I am looking into a raw diet but again due to our saving situation I have to wait till we get our fiances in order first)
    I only feed him the dry due to the face he likes to graze through the night and he refuses to eat wet during the night as it spoils and once it has spoiled he will turn his nose up at it and its just wasting food and if we didnt put the dry down he will not settle at night.

Whats frustrating is Myself and my other half can see thats hes lost weight but its not coming up on the scales
    Hopes these pics are helpful :)

Attached Files:

8. ShelybellyandTeamC

I feel like im doing the best in my situation and I just hope that it is good enough for him :(

9. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

He doesn't look fat to me. And he's also quite the handsome ginger fellow too :001_tt1:

Sometimes I think vets just have a scale of "normal" cat weights, without taking anything else into consideration.

10. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

he doesnt look fat :confused: he looks perfectly healthy to me :D and beautiful :001_tt1:

11. ShelybellyandTeamC

Aww thank you

12. ShelybellyandTeamC

I think so too lol thank you x

13. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Aw, I feel for you.

He doent look that big to me. Can you feel his ribs when you stroke his back?

Bibi is very small, so I have the opposite problem - she is very light on the scales, but when you stroke her, she feels fleshy enough not to feel 'ribby', so the vet is reassured.

Do you see a vet nurse or a vet? Can you see another vet at the practice?

14. ShelybellyandTeamC

I have seen the vet she didnt say much just that he still needs to loose a little podge and 3 of the nurses who all say do this try this food do that im so confused.

I can feel his ribs however I know he doesnt have a waist that he needs im happy for him to get down to 5.5kg however im not sure cutting his food down anymore will help cos it just makes him grumpy and not interested in anything

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

He is very slightly overweight, but absolutely not dangerously so, and in fact, about 3/4 of all cats in the UK, and in the Netherlands for that matter, are at least as much overweight. There is absolutely no cause for alarm. He is a big and sturdy fellow. I think his ideal weight would be around 5.5 kg.

My Catweazle and Wobbel are considerably fatter than Sheldon, and try as I may, I will not get their weight down without starving the others. So do not worry, Sheldon is a healthy, goodlooking cat, and if you wish him to slim, the best way would be to try and play with him with a laser light, give him a bit of a work-out.

But he looks perfectly healthy the way he is.

16. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

He looks fine to me but then my vet frowned at Merlin´s weight in his last visit. I too think that some vets just decide all cats must be the same.

17. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

As you don't want to lower his food intake anymore, then the only way he is going to lose weight is more exercise - so you will need to find a way to increase the amount of activity he is doing - both through play, and perhaps using a treatball rather than a bowl for his dry food (the idea is he burns off the calories trying while eating them).

Some cats are just bigger than others and Sheldon may be one of them. In my case I suspect Odin may have some NFC in his makeup (his littermates had some of the look of the wedgie, although parents certainly weren't pedigrees) and will be a big boy - he was already over 2 kg when we got him at 12 weeks, and has almost doubled in weight since, but is by no means overweight.

#17 notsure, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  18. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

i had a handsome boy called oscar from when i was 10 - 26 years old. i always used to ask the vet if he was overweight, and i was told that he was just a big cat- not an ounce of fat on him that souldn't be there. looking back i think he had some maine coon down the line.

do what you feel is best, but i would personally try and get him more active

good luck :) xxx

19. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

He is a lovely boy, nice and substantial, what I would call a good armful.

He might be a little on the heavy side but it might be that he is just built that way.

My Bob is a bit chunky, looks more so as he has no tail, he looks like a little black bear from behind.

He got bigger once he knew he had a home and at one time I worried he would get stuck in the catflap, he seemed to regulate himself though.

20. ShelybellyandTeamC

Hey everyone
    Thank you so much for all your help!!!
    I think iv made my mind up and im just going to increase his "kitty workouts" lol

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice