Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Solo feline friend

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by imfloppy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. imfloppy

imfloppy PetForums Newbie

We are eagerly awaiting our new little addition to the family. Having never had a feline friend in the past which cat tree is good for a solo cat. I have been looking at all sorts of cat activity centres and although we have a large house i am not quite sure how much room or indeed how large a cat activity centre should be for one british shorthair. Although im quite aware hes small at the moment he wont always be! I think i alsp have visions of my toddler Climbing up the tree!!

HELP PLEASE

2. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

I've just recently bought one from zooplus for my BSH. It's not too imposing in the room and she absolutely loves it...it's very sturdy and of good quality and is currently in the sale. Zooplus have lots to choose from and their deliveries are quick too. :D
    The new one (with the blue paw ledge) is for in my computer room where I often spend too much time...she has the other one downstairs and I would like to get her one for in my bedroom too.

Attached Files:

#2 Angelic1, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. imfloppy

Fab will check it out. What a beautiful cat she is quite stunning. how do you find the BSH personallity and temprement etc? We have chosen a blue boy and am sooo excited although a little aprehensive about trying to keep external doors closed etc as i have two small children. Thanks again for your help .

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

How Exciting a British short haired Kitty!!:D
    When we first had our British babies we had a small one to start off with. It was just really for them to practice using it as a scratching post.
    I think when they are young they will find lots of things to amuse themselves without spending too much on a tree.
    My friend has just bought a tree for her too kitties and it's quite large and they always go to the top.
    you will find loads on the internet. Perhaps go to a cat show like the NEC in November and look at them there.
    The Cat shows like the one at the NEC is great place for buying things for your kitten/cat.
    Would love to see some pictures of her.

By the way British are addictive! ;)

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

The temperament of the British are just Fab. They are like Teddy Bears:D
    Our too are soft and gentle and have never been nasty to anyone.

You will fall in love with him very quick I am sure!!

6. imfloppy

Will post pics asap thanks for your help. Cant wait im sooooo excited well worth the wait and the 8 hour round trip to collect him not to mention the first visit to meet him.
    Thnaks again

7. Angelic1

Your welcome and thank you! I love her to bits! :D
    Dolly is extremely laid back most of the time except when she has her funny five minutes..then she's a scatty cat! She's very friendly with visitors but doesn't like them to pick her up for too long. That said she will let me pick her up and cuddle her no problem...she's a mummy's girl! lol :D
    She is so affectionate! But if I ignore her she's a right little mischief and looks for naughty things to do (chewing a book is her favourite thing if I ignore her) just to get my attention and will even lay on my mouse mat and keyboard as I try and type! lol
    Doors and windows can be a problem..but I've seen a mesh screen for the windows that I will try when I can afford to buy them..I believe as forum members the suppliers offered a 50% discount on them..will have to find the link again. I've also built a cat run attached to a shed for her in the garden too...it just needs a few finishing touches.
    :)

#7 Angelic1, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

This is a lovely looking tree & I know that somebody on here with Maine Coons has it, so it would be study enough for a BSH - Banana-Leaf Cat Tree Paradise: Great Deals on Large Cat Trees at zooplus . As you've got a large house, I'd have a couple of activity centres/scratchers/trees about the house - I've got them up & downstairs & in my conservatory. Admittedly, I've got more cats than you, but they love them & it certainly saves your furniture & carpets. You're also right thinking long term - there's no point in buying a small one which he'll outgrow quickly. I tend to buy mine at cat shows - you can get some really well made sturdy ones there that last for years. They may not be as "pretty" as some, but they're really serviceable & the cats love them. The best ones are made with sisal rope & carpet. Russell Hardy do some good ones (I've got one of theirs) - CATSCRATCHER.COM, & so do Kalven - Kalven Cat Scratchers . I assume he'll be an indoor cat? Just make sure he's got plenty to do & lots to play with to keep him stimulated. Is somebody at home all day to keep him company? If not, I'd definately recomend you consider getting a playmate for him to keep him company - doesn't have to be another pedigree, moggies make great pets. Things like cat cubes & ball chase toys (like the Catit Senses track) are great for keeping them entertained - Pinky Pawz do a great selection of toys, cubes etc online - Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!, Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!. i could go on & on (& have done, lol) - I love buying stuff for mine!! Hope this helps & enjoy your new baby :D

9. Angelic1

You are so right! They are adorable and so cuddly! :)

Yes please! :D

10. Angelic1

Just had a quick browse on the above link...what a fab wesite! Thanks for sharing that with us! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice