Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Soiling bedding.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rachelp, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone could help me. I got a hamster for Christmas and it is getting really smelly as it is pooing and weeing in its house on its bedding. I have tried not putting in any bedding and also providing another area of the cage with bedding but this has not stopped it from happening.
    Thanx
    Rach

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh we had one that did that
    we just had to keep changing its bed

3. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Thanx Carol. I was hoping there might be a better solution as I have been told that hamsters do not like you continiuously interfering with their houses.

4. smudge2uk

smudge2uk PetForums Newbie

my sis has a hamster and it smelled awful she took it to the vets and it had a urine infection - might be why it smells so bad(just an idea)

5. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Thanx, if it does not get any better over the next few days i think i might be taking a trip there myself.

6. CreatureCrazy

CreatureCrazy PetForums Junior

This is correct, they can become very distressed, in some cases they can go into shock or worst. Also all animals need a place they feel safe and secure.

It is possible your hamster could have an UTI, however the are various other reasons your hamster could be doing this. I'm guessing you've got a buck who is territory marking. Have you attempted potty training? If not I would suggest this first and foremost.

7. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Thanx for that.
    I have tried this. I read a website that said to just put a coffee jar lid into the cage and she will do her business there. I bought a food bowl big enough for her to sit in but she is not using it. Is there something else that i need to do?

Thanx

8. CreatureCrazy

CreatureCrazy PetForums Junior

They do special litter boxes for hamsters, they can be quite effective. :)

9. rachelp

rachelp PetForums Newbie

Thanx, I will try and get hold of one of these from my local petshop.. Hopefully this will end my problems :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice