Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Soft Stool & Not Eating

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by chelsichels, Jul 17, 2018.

1. chelsichels

chelsichels PetForums Newbie

Hi all - i am new here.

I came home yesterday and my cat had barley touched his food. He's always been picky with meat, he only likes the jelly and mostly eats dry. I checked his litter and there were two stools in there. One normal, and one very soft.
    I tried to feed him his treats and small amounts of food as i was worried he hadn't eaten.
    He has a water fountain, and water dish that are regularly cleaned and refreshed.

This morning i heard his stomach making gurgling sounds, and when i checked the litter again his stool was very runny.
    I checked and i can't see signs of worms however i know not all are visible in stool?

I am going to pick up a de-wormer this afternoon, shall i still take him to the vets or wait to see if the wormer does the trick?

He is an outdoor cat, he has been going outside for about 2 months now, and i have seen him with other cats in the area. Could he have caught something from them?
    He is 11 months as well if that helps.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @chelsichels and welcome :)

I suggest you take him off all the cat food for the moment and instead feed him a bland diet to rest the bowel. This can either be plain home cooked chicken drumsticks with plenty of the cooking juices or poached white fish with lots of the cooking juices. He needs plenty of the liquid with his food to keep him hydrated (what with the diarrhoea and the warm weather).

Once he is passing a normal firm stool then you can gradually transfer him back to his wet cat food. No dry food, as it can make loose stools worse. Dry food is very concentrated and contains a lot of carbs, so not a great food for a kitten (or an an adult cat).

Which wet food are you feeding him?

3. chelsichels

chelsichels PetForums Newbie

--------------

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    We are feeding him the Whiskas wet kitten food at the moment, with small portions of Dry.

I took him off the wet food and it seemed to clear up. He is currently eating fish flavored packets at the moment, and cooked fish.
    I am waiting till he is an adult to transfer him to an adult brand, he seems to enjoy Whiskas so i am concerned if i switch his food it might upset his stomach again.
    We gave him some chicken yesterday and he is back to square one, diarrhea.
    i think he may have a chicken intolerance as i remember him having chicken last week too.

Thank you for helping. I was ready to drop everything and take him to the vet!!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi chelsichels, if he doesn't get on with home-cooked chicken, poached white fish is good choice (as I think you are giving him) and plenty of the cooking juices. One of mine does better with white fish than chicken if he has a tummy upset. It is very soothing to the bowel. :)

5. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

A lot of the common pet food brands (Whiskas, Felix) use other meats in their fish flavoured foods. So a salmon flavour pouch may mostly be chicken meat in the chunks with salmon flavour. Unfortunately a lot of those companies also don’t divulge specifics! I was looking at ASDA Tiger Naturally Nutritious and it was one of the first packs I’ve seen where they actually tell you that tuna flavour also has chicken, beef etc in too!

So it’s one to watch out for if you suspect chicken sensitivity.

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice