Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

soft shell

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by jeanie, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

Hi my daughter in law has a totoise hes still not very old about 8 mths has the lights tank and everything he needs , the owners would not let him go until they were satified that he had it all , ( good for them) i wondered if anyone knows why his shell has gone soft hes been to vet and given a calcium powder to spread on his food, but he wont eat the food while its got the powder on it hes been back to vet a few times but they keep saying try and get him to eat the powder, which he wont eat at all if anything is on his food , any ideas we would be grateful for as nickie is very frightened shes going to lose him & so am i. thank you

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

what a worry for you
    trouble is its the calcuium he needs to harden the shell up
    cant they give him injections instead
    good luck hope he gets better soon

3. Tayybear

Tayybear PetForums Newbie

Get rid of that horrid tank and build a tortoise table or get an indoor rabbit cage.
    you should supplement his food with more than just calcium twice a week.
    nutrobal, TNT, t-rex all are good supplements.

What tortoise is it?

4. Nigel

Nigel PetForums Junior

I agree as above, he really needs to be in a open top tortoise table. Vivs and glass tanks ar no good as they do not provide enough ventalation eventually leading to respiritory problems. Also they do not understand the concept of glass and keep trying to get through leading to stress.

I believe the soft shell is caused by a condition known as osteodystrophy caused by wrong lighting, an excess in protein and by an insufficant amount of calcium in the diet.
    Is he on a weed diet, as the commercially bought food isn't really good for them. Good garden weeds include grass, dandelions, white clover and nettles

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice