Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Soft crate or playpen for puppy still chewing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by EstelleB, Sep 25, 2013.

1. EstelleB

EstelleB PetForums Newbie

I was looking for advice on using soft crates and playpens such as the ones on the link, for young puppies who are still chewing. We are looking at the options for our 9 week old labradoodle, firstly for transporting in the car, and secondly for when we need to leave her in the house for short periods of time (school run etc). It's not really for crate training as she is doing really well with toilet training and I don't think she needs it, but we would probably encourage her to sleep in the crate so she's happy with it in the car.

I really like the look of these, and the convenience of them folding up, but was worried that my chewing puppy would destroy them?

Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easipet-Fabric-Play-Large-Green/dp/B004D9N5LA
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Fab...id=1380107397&sr=8-14&keywords=soft+dog+crate

2. ickleviking

ickleviking PetForums Junior

I have the Easipet playpen which I use for outside play for my guinea pigs. I think you would need to be careful as the sides aren't very tall. I have an 11 week ESS and he could easily clear the top of it if he was placed in it...

3. blossomsuz

blossomsuz PetForums Member

I've had both for my Pug cross Daisy, they soft crate lasted a few months before she chewed it and the zip for the opening is now completely broken.

It is now used as a bed in the lounge when they want somewhere out of the way to sleep.

I use the playpen for her all the time now as she destroyed three of my other dogs beds plus numerous ones of her own :rolleyes:

She now has blankets on the carpeted floor in the playpen and Doug has the comfy bed outside of the playpen.

She is majorly bouncy but hasn't managed to jump it yet, she isn't very blessed in the brains department though so maybe she just hasn't figured it out :biggrin5:

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

My boxer girl is 9 weeks and put a small hole in a soft sided crate so I would avoid those for safety sake. Your pup might be fine if you want to take the risk.

I use the Ellie-Bo heavy duty playpen and love it loads! Best pen I have seen and used :D it all comes apart so you can add bits to make it bigger or smaller. You can remove the door completely to have it completely open or lock it up completely with two locks :)

She sleeps in here too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I got the Lino and had a big tidy up :p
    [​IMG]

5. EstelleB

EstelleB PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Ellie Bo pen, is it heavy enough for the puppy not to be able to push it around?:001_rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice