UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else make sock monsters for their little darlings?

We buy a pack of cheap sport socks, tie a knot right in the toe end of one and then stuff it full of the other socks. Then tie another knot in the ankle end and give it to the dog.

Our Border Collie loves it and it usually works out cheaper than buying a toy. great for playing tug and fetch and it also seems to clean her teeth while she is chomping on it.

Got to love sock monsters :D

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Sounds great but its not something that I would want my lot doing. Purely coz Im terribly messy and tend to leave socks all over the floor anyways!!:eek:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I have tried some games with socks, but with old socks! But I was put off when I learned one of the dogs I look after swallows underwear. We found this out the day he regurgitated a pair of tights onto my lawn. Not my colour, so must have been eaten at his owners, but worried me a bit.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
This game started as bit of an accident when i couldn't carry my laundry and a pair fell- i asked bruno to pick them up- not expecting it- and he did... think i was so impressed i exclaimed and he thought this was marvellous- so now i occasionally annoy OH by stealing his sockas and giving to dog- then a wonderful game ensues until he gives them up, sodden, gungy and a little bit stretched/chewed :)

Good fun.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A good idea but wouldn't be able to do it for my Harley as he is a swallower. Has been known to poo very large bundles of chewed up fabric out the rear end, with a little help from yours truly :cryin:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
A similar idea. Traditionally a new dog in the family is always given an 'oggie' this goes back about 35 years now.
An oggie is an old sock stuffed with rolled up socks in the foot then twisted and folded over itself. This is put in the foot of another sock and that one is twisted and folded over, repeated till whenever!!
They have always been a favourite toy for tugging and shaking, luckily the only damage is holes so the top sock is removed, luckily none of ours have ever been eaten.

As an extended family we all have a stash of socks tucked away in readiness :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Kobi was a sock monster as a pup and not in a good way, he swallowed one whole at four months, and ended up in the out of hours vet having an injection to vomit it up. Same went for gloves he found out that had been discarded too, so no way could I make him sock toys stupid dog would eat them and anything knitted or fabric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.