Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Social Walk Classes- Week 3

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Things moved on well this week, just the two dogs as the third is still on holiday. We started with a wander through the small fields close to the farm buildings and Mia walked well on a loose lead, hardly going the full extent at all and kept focus really well too despite the distractions. There were lots of pheasant about and although she was aware all the time, pointed, sniffed and did lots of trail following she responded well when I asked her to move on and wasn't getting anywhere near as hyped as she used to. She even walked past a loose chicken after just a bit of a stare. She walked through all the gates perfectly and didn't rush any of them or try to bypass by going under the fence. The GSD was well behind us all through this and she didn't take any notice of him at all except when he barked a couple of times and she just lifted her head, looked and moved on.
    We then worked on getting the dogs closer for the first time. Although Mia doesn't like dogs behind her where she can't see them it was decided that she should be infront as she is the less reactive to other dogs. Mia and I walked on one side of a double rail fence and the GSD was on the lane about 50 yards behind so they could see each other really easily. Mia was great and just glanced back a few times but was really only interested in the pheasants she could see. Once again we stopped on picnic blankets half way for a break and a T-Touch session as both dogs needed it and Mia got to search for treats in a big plastic box full of kids play balls. Mia loved snuffling through all the balls to find bits of sausage and was tossing them around and having great fun. For the walk back the dogs were put on long lines and we practised recall all the way back, letting them go off wherever they wanted then calling them back every now and again for a treat or fuss.
    We kept it to around 45 minutes again but both dogs were still obviously very tired at the end of it.
    There will be four dogs next session as the Goldie will be back and a new one is joining us. A labxdally so can't wait to meet that one.
    All in all Mia was much less hyped with everything than she has been before. I was really proud of her and how well she is getting on.

2. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

sounds like you are making good progress! Keep up the good work.;)

3. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

Having just started training walks myself - it was really interesting to read your update - sounds like you are getting on famously! :D It's such a good feeling when all goes well, especially when there are others present....:)

4. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

They are such a great idea. Do you mean you are participating or you are the trainer?

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are making brilliant progress and having fun!

6. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Sounds like she is really coming on well. Lovely to hear:D

7. Petloversdigest

Just rescued a lurcher dog so going to the training walks as he has had no training to date- have done one so far and really enjoyed it - Ollie was knackered too! We learnt alot even in one session - the trainier gave out quite a few tips and she had simple, easy ways to do stay and down, all of which were new words for Ollie. I found it a realstic way to train actually on a walk - there were other walkers and some horses that went by, giving us all an opportunity to practice our distraction techniques and so on - perfect. The only down side to the next seession is the 9am start and the fact its about 25 miles away!

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Where in Bucks do you do this? I'd love to attend something like this but have transport problems :(

9. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I am in the 9am session on saturday mornings and it is about 20 miles from me but a really easy drive. I have been quite pleased that it is early as it has been getting quite hot by the end of our session for the last couple of weeks. Also, because we run a pub, any later on a saturday would make it impossible for me.
    I just look at it as her early walk that I would have to do anyway.
    I am so pleased that someone else is getting so much out of this type of training, it makes so much sense to work in an everyday environment. Just learning the signs of when my dog is mentally tired has been a great help.
    I expected a pointer to be able take any amount of exercise, which she could on a physical level, but I now know that it is the mental and emotional element of being outside that is exhausting her and since recognising that and allowing for it she has been a different dog.

10. Petloversdigest

Another local trainer has just started to offer training walks too, so I think it will be a pretty popular way to train around West Sussex perhaps in the years to come...:)

11. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

oooooh....now I am really jealous. I would love to live in West Sussex, it is so pretty around there. We picked Mia up from the breed rescue which was in a little village about 10 miles from Chichester.
    Terrible drive though, as there weren't very big roads for most of the way.

I am so pleased I found out about this trainer/behaviourist, I hadn't heard about this kind of training before but as you say, it just makes so much sense.

#11 Emmastace, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  12. Petloversdigest

I know what you mean about the roads - but part of me loves sauntering along enjoying the view - until I'm late for an appointment that is,and then I am fuming and cussing behind the wheel as you can never find the room to overtake even a tractor half the time! It's a dogs paradise for walking though...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice