Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Social Outcast?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lozb, Mar 28, 2011.

1. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Aw... I do feel sorry for Baxter... he can't go for long walks (just yet) cos of his arthritis...
    And then when we meet dogs whilst out... he can't play with them :(

Went for our usual Monday night stroll before, along a canal, about a 20 minute walk (30 mins in total with all the sniffing/stopping) and met another dog... now, because Baxter is always on lead these days, most dog-owners see us and put their dogs on lead (which is good practice, I know) but I have to say 'It's okay - he's fine with other dogs'. Baxter tends to lie down until they come close, then goes for a sniff... whilst I'm telling the owners that he can't be off-lead/run around because of his condition.
    Then he starts wanting to play.... which is normal for his age.... but he can't because of his leg - all that twisting and turning is no good him..... so the other dogs owners tend to say 'aw, we'll leave you to it, don't want to get him too excited'... which is nice of them but :(

Hopefully, maybe as he grows up a bit he'll calm down and not be so giddy... otherwise he'll never get to sniff/play with another dog! :rolleyes:

I don't him to be a social outcast - any suggestions to help him out please?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its awful, isnt it, Kobis only just started exercising again in the last week, now his limps finally stopped again after weeks of rest. He is only allowed 15/20 mins and if that goes ok I can add on 5mins a week. He knows when we are heading back goes really slow, trying to make it last longer on the home stretch. I feel rotten for him an Nanuq too, because they start to try and play and I have to jump in quick and stop it, because thats how he did it again in the first place.

As hard and as upsetting is it is I think we just have to remember its for their own good at the moment. One set back for Baxter or Kobi means rest again and no walks, at least they are getting some exercise now and some enjoyment, must be better then stuck in with none at all, like they both were at one point.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I know you've just answered on my thread in the behaviour section, but we're the same. They see him on lead and sometimes it's politeness, others avoidance, but I frequently ask people if they're close, if we could say hello. Other than that, we just have to go to the park at busy times to get some interaction, which consists of meet and greets. I really wish there was a doggy social club here, I'd love to meet more dogs...

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Is he having supplements, something like synoquin? Joshua has arthritis in his front knees, but now he is established on his trocoxil and his supplements he can play for a little while. Then he gets tired and just lies down. I know how upsetting it is in a young dog, and sometimes I have come home from a walk on the heath in tears because he has started limping, but since he has been having his supplements, he can enjoy himself. I think you have to let them be puppies, if only for a few minutes.

5. rona

rona Guest

I've had this with Alf for a year now and it is ongoing for life.
    I always try and let him off lead with small dogs but keep him very close with big dogs, some that we meet regularly, he can be off lead with because they and him are calm around each other.
    Some people look at you as if you are mad having a Goldie on lead

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, I wish people would butt out sometimes. I might see Joshua starting to get a bit limpy and put him back on his lead, tell him he has had enough, and someone will tell me to let him play. Then I have to explain about his arthritis. "Oh, but I thought you said he was only two". Even children get arthritis on rare occasions, don't they? And do they think we go through all this heartache just for the attention? Munchausens by canine proxy.:rolleyes:: There you go, I've thought up a new disease:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice