Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So you wanna be a Record Breaker, woooooo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Jul 23, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Want to be part of a World Record Attempt? Raise money for a fabulous dog welfare charity? Get your photo in the local paper?

I've had a mad idea and I've been thinking it over for a few days now, but before I take it any further I need to get some thoughts from you guys......

Would you be interested in taking part in a World Record attempt for the largest synchronised dog walk? It will take about 6 weeks to get a response from Guinness to find out if this is viable and what rules we will need to adhere to, so I need to get some feedback/commitment before starting.

This is how I imagine it would work..... at a set time (let's say hypothetically 3pm on any given Saturday) we all take part in a set distance sponsored dog walk (let's say 5 miles) in the area we each live in, with as many local doggy friends as possible and hopefully set a new record whilst we're at it. Easy! The important part is that we all walk at the same time and for the same distance.....it's a synchronised walk so we could be anywhere in the UK and still be walking 'together'

We can run a Pet Forums poll to select our lucky charity- either our own local charity or a nationwide one. We can all use the same promotional materials and send press releases to the local paper/radio to get maximum interest - a world record attempt would be big news for our local paper, probably yours too!!

Please join in the thread if you feel that this is something you would want to be a part of, numbers will be crucial for a record attempt and a world record could attract some large sponsorship deals :D

#1 alphadog, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I'd be interested.
    i could publicise it in my work too ;) xx

3. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Quick bump :blushing: in case anyone missed this earlier

I won't bump again because if folk aren't interested at this stage they certainly won't be when it comes to collecting sponsorship!!! :D

Any thoughts? x

4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

If i'm not working, I could join, would it be in lancashire? My dog lives in Merseyside, but could prob get there on busses!

5. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

im in lancashire too, sound like a great idea x

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

It will be where ever you live! We can all walk from our own back doors so long as we all walk at exactly the same time.

It'd be great if we could have people walking from all over England, Scotland, NI and Wales.

7. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Well, anyone in derby fancy joining me for the walk? let me know ;) My mum would happily do it with me and AJ

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

It's a fantastic idea and i'd be more than willing to join in - but there's a small flaw with the plan I think :(

Someone from Guinness has to be there to verify that it is happening, so I think we'd need one verifier to every walker to be able to do it properly, otherwise how would they know we all really did it?

Maybe it doesn't work like that but at every world record attempt i've ever seen, they need someone there to verify :(

This would be easier if we could all do it in the same place together :)

9. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

bit difficult if we all come from different parts and we all aint got cars :( couldnt everyone meet up at one main place to every town like manchester-heaton park and regester everyone who takes place ???

10. rona

rona Guest

To be a record though, don't they have to have proof that it's been achieved?
    Also if you made different length walks, more people could participate with old or infirm dogs and/or owners

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That's what I was trying to say :(

There would probably need to be someone 'official' there walking with everyone to make sure that all the walks were completed which could make it quite difficult. Even if there was a register of who was walking, that still would not prove that the walk was completeted.

It's a good idea but I think it'll be very difficult to organise!

12. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

From what I've been reading from Guinness, not every record has to have an ajudicator (sp?) present. Hopefully this will be one of those time. That's something that I'll only be able to find out when I submit the application to set a new record. It could all go horribly wrong at that stage!

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Sounds a good idea in principal x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice