Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

so worried..please help..

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dellie_4eva, May 21, 2010.

1. dellie_4eva

dellie_4eva PetForums Member

my cat bailey is almost 3 years old..he used to have a bit of a belly on him..he wasnt realli big but had a nice size belly..the last 2 weeks or so he has lost all his weight but is eating loads..he always acts hungry and eats his food really fast..and wants more a few hours later..he has been wormed so i know thats not a problem..but i cant figure out how a cat with a good appitite can loose weight..he is healthy in himself..good coat n bright eyes n staying playing with toys and other cats..but i cant think of why he would loose weight so fast..
    ..can anyone help me with this

if you need more infomation on him as i havent said enough feel free to ask..

many thanks

x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

To be honest - I would take him to the vet.

You say his wormer is up-to-date and he is not having a growth spurt (not a kitten anymore).

Could be a number of reasons - you might need a different wormer, he could have an over-active thyroid, he could have diabetes or he could just be spending more of his energy now that the weather is warming up and there are more things to do than lie curled up in front of a radiator.

I would say a trip to the vets is in order.

3. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I think it's best to take your kitty to the vet. It might be hyperthyroidism, but you really need to see the vet I think.

4. dellie_4eva

yah i think i will take him tomorrow or Monday if they not open..better to be safe then sorry..thank you..=] just hope he is going to be ok..

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed! Don't forget to update us!

6. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Good to read you're going to the vet's.
    Hope your cat's going to be okay!! :)

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Agreed, he needs a vet to rule out any medical causes of the weight loss. Fingers crossed its not anything serious xx

In the meantime... what are you feeding? have you changed food brand or type (e.g from one type of whiskas to another) recently? is he neutered and has he had any health problems before?

8. dellie_4eva

yes i have recently changed him from asda food to whiskas as parents where feeding him now im paying for food i feed him on something he loves..can this cause the weight loss??

he has never had any health problems and yes he got neutered about 6 months ago witch is when he got to a nice weight.

9. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

a food change can cause some weight issues, more often its gaining weight but sometimes the opposite.

Equally his hormones will now only be settling down in the last month or so as the last bits of testosterone left his body from the neutering. Again though that normally means weight gain not loss lol. Did he gain weight after neutering? and now is losing it again?

Is there a reason you chose whiskas? For the same price you could be feeding a much much better quality diet. Is he on dry or wet?

Is he drinking more?, what is his toilet habits like? normal formed poops?, more or less often in a day? weeing more or less? Does his breath smell?

sorry for loads more questions lol, just trying to figure it out for you.

There is a chance its something more serious that the vets will be able to diagnose and treat. Diabetes and thyroid problems spring to mind as they are associated with changes in metabolism and weight loss, however noone here can tell you whether its these or not, thats why vets are so important. He needs to see the vet who can hopefully rule all these out for you x

hobbs2004 likes this.
  10. dellie_4eva

ya he did gain the weight after neutering..he was a slim cat before he was neutered..but its the sudden weight loss but good appitite that has stupped me..

i fort that whiskas was a good food and he loves it..witch is why i chose it he gets really exited over whiskas he is on just dry atm. i have noticed he is drinking more but i just prosumed that its because its not much water outside no more..i dnt no what his poop looks like as he spends most his time during the day outside and is in at night..how do you monitor cats urine or poop..

his breath doesnt smell no..

yah dibetes is the first thing that came into mind when i was feeding him yesterday..witch is why i wanted to get him to the vets but i normaly over react with these things so wanted to see what other people thought.

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I absolutely agree that he should go to the vet....but would straight away remove all dry food from his diet and only feed wet tinned food or cooked/raw meat.
    IF he is diabetic, lowering the carbohydrate content of his food in this way will lower his blood glucose levels.

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Did you manage to take him to the vet today?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice