Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So who regrets buying a diesel now?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colliebarmy, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

That second link is interesting. NXWM are already in the midst of changing their buses from diesel so that should make a big difference, given how many buses there are on the roads every day.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Honestly? No, we don't.

Just bought a 2 year old diesel car simply because it ticked all the other boxes on our wish list. Size, comfort, price, auto, maintenance costs, terms, etc. If it had been petrol, fine but it wasn't a deal breaker.

We shall chop it in in 4 year's time and get something else.

Our previous car was a diesel.

We don't drive into the centre of London which is our nearest City, and if they bring in charges in certain areas around the country we shall just have to stump up or use Park & Ride :)

3. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Never had one. Never would have. Horrible smelly nasty polluting devices. Oh and that horrible engine noise; sounds like like a skeleton jerking off in a biscuit tin. No thanks.

I have always said that somehow Tony Blair has lined his pocket with millions on the back of this con job.

Dr Pepper likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

:confused:What are you on about?????

5. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Ooh this is a complicated thing. I have mixed feelings.
    • I cycle almost everywhere as befits Cambridge but the city here are like kids in a sweet shop on a sugar rush, running around with no thought of the consequences and the City Deal here has been a total balls up. Past mistakes have meant that we're all very distrustful (and that's a cross political feeling, they are all hopeless and worse we've got all parties trying to put their agenda on the table with little care to the residents, if we move from Cambridge the City Deal will be the cause).
    • I suffer with terrible hay fever that I know is made worse from fumes. But the City Council built two large retail parks that attract traffic. Diesel is all very well but stop building wider roads and attracting cars of any sort (petrol doesn't make any car smaller or reduce congestion yet the two appear to be welded together, locally at least).
    • I can't afford to swap it for the petrol equivalent. Gordon Brown took best advice at the time to encourage diesel cars through tax incentives and the Collation supported this so both Labour, Lib Dem and Tories have at one point or another in recent years failed. Now we're being targeted. Especially as I do cycle and try my damm best to be supportive of green issues
    • It feels wasteful. Cars being scraped are wasteful and add to more pollution so this has to be managed and phased
    • I won't change my car yet, I like it but... this feels like a way to get more money. I am distrustful.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've just changed my car and struggled to find a petrol engine in the model I wanted. I would have been happy to buy a diesel but my DH kept saying it wasn't a good idea - hate to admit it but he appears to be right. And we did find a petrol one in our local dealership 3 weeks ago :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

New research that shows diesel is more polluting than was previously thought. So the tax break for buying diesel rather than petrol has made no difference to the levels of air pollution in major cities.

Though I agree the thread title is a little 'ner ner nyer ner'.

8. Happy Paws2

But what has that got to do with Tony Blair???

9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Errrr.... not sure where Tony Blair comes in? Other than it was Gordon Brown who introduced the tax break.

ETA: Ignore me! I didn't realise that there was a post from Satori that mentions TB. I have Satori on Ignore and it's not obvious on this forum when someone on your Ignore List has posted.

Carry on!

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  10. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I'd buy an electric car if there were sufficient plug in points here.

By sufficient I mean any, any at all.

The journeys I do are all or nothing, either toodling around here or up and down the length of the M4 and beyond. I need a load lugger that's comfy and capable to tow.

SpringDance likes this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Don't worry, I think I was answering them post anyway.:oops:

12. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

No we don't.
    Brought our secon diesel car last year. A brand new one, so clean we don't have to pay any road tax. The one we had before we only had to pay £23 a year.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yeah...... I think the point is that the cost is going to fly up when the tax break is removed and the pollution charge kicks in.

14. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I don't do the miles any more to have a diesel but I have in the past and loved it. I do find my options can be very limited choosing a petrol engine - looking at the Kodiaq at the end of this week and it's an obvious example. I have my i3 for town journeys so would go diesel but for the fact I'd wreck the engine with lack of mileage.

15. Satori

You need a history lesson.

16. Satori

He used to be the prime minister.

17. Satori

David King pushed the whole thing knowing the dangers of what he was doing. This wasn't just conning the public. It was life and death. King, apart from being an all round nut-job, was Blair's pet scientist. But then he could be purely innocent :D.

18. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

We had someone constantly park an ancient VW van outside our house. It absolutely stank of petrol which made our house reek, and it would throw out smoke/black stuff all the time...but that's more acceptable than our 15 plate diesel car?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. ClaireLouise

No regrets regarding our current diesel vehicle.

DT and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice