Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So who here rents a house with dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sparkie1984, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sparkie1984

sparkie1984 PetForums Member

Me and the Mrs are looking to rent a place but are finding it hard work with a dog, even though we explain she goes to doggy day care ( :D ) when were both at work so she's never left unattended people turn their nose up.

Some people seem to be so ignorant towards dogs and treat them all as house ruiners....

Anybody on here managed to rent with a dog or 2? If so where did you look/what did you say etc?

Thanks so much for your help

2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

i rent and i have 4. A friend put us in touch with our landlord we found all agencies we went to had a no pet or one pet policy

best i can advise try and find a landlord and speak to them directly about pets

3. We do.

We saw our house on right move however the number took us directly to the landlord as all agency's said no to dogs.

4. sparkie1984

Thanks RR,

I work as an electrician so have contact with the building game and work on house refurbs occasionally, I was thinking of having a word with my boss as he has a few contacts, hoping he may know someone who rents out places.

We would like to add another dog in the future if we could so a 2 pet policy would be good!

How would I find the landlord though?

edit: Thanks Shetland

We find that every number goes to the agency though.

We would be looking to move end of July so got a bit of time yet, but would like to maybe get it sorted before then

Thanks again

#4 sparkie1984, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

this would be a fab idea!

6. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

We do....but ours is council....so i know its slightely different!

The first house they tried to offer us was housing association....which said no pets...so we said no :p

7. sparkie1984

Unfortunately we have no hope in hell of getting a council place. Been on the list for 8 years.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I haven't rented with my dog but I did used to rent with my cat (I know it's not quite the same). I always found that they would say 'no pets' but when I asked specifically and said she was very well behaved but I would of course pay if any damage happened to occur, they always said that was fine.

9. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

where abouts in the country are you?

10. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

You may have more luck if you find a private landlord through something like Gumtree and offer them a higher deposit to take into account extra cleaning costs associated with having pets. Most agents may well automatically say no, but there are a lot of landlords with properties to let and if you have the cash, they may suddenly become dog lovers.

11. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

we have 3 cats and a dog (had 2 cats when we moved in). We phoned around and stated must allow pets, the agents would try to show us a house and then say it doesnt allow pets - can't you just get rid of them? (I told them suggest that again i wont be using you as you obviously dont listen to what your customers need). Insisted that they phone and ask landlords esp if we paid extra deposit to cover animal damage (was an additional £100) - most landlords when asked said yes as they want their houses filled and thats what a deposit is for.

12. emma_esplanade

emma_esplanade PetForums Junior

i haven't got my dog yet, but have asked my landlady and she is drawing up an agreement. we have to give her an extra bond to cover any damage that may be done. i can see why she has asked for this, but it is a bit steep. (£350). maybe you could offer an extra deposit.

13. sparkie1984

Thanks guys im in hertfordshire, hemel hempstead/watford way

We had exactly that, they would ring us all the time about houses with "no pets". was infuriating us to be honest.

The additional deposit sounds like a cracking idea though!!

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Just wanted to give some advice from the landlord's perspective.

We rent out our 110 year old 3 bed cottage in Bedfordshire and where very open to people with pets but we ask for certain conditions to be met.

The deposit is normally slightly higher (£200) and there is an extra clause in the contract which states the house must be left in the same state and there should be no eivdence of a pet having lived there. The owners need to expect to have to pay to have carpets cleaned etc (As they were all brand new carpets through out!).

Your best bet is to talk to Landlord's directly as very very few will put on adverts they will accept pet's. (We didnt as if I am honest it is easier to have pet free tenants!) but when people spoke to us in person about it at the viewing we had no problem with it. (Wellother than the lady with 7 cats, two dogs and 4 snakes but once she saw it was in the centre of the village she decided against it phewww!).

There are pet friendly land lords out there I promise :)

15. sparkie1984

Dont have a house in hemel or watford do you :D ????

How do we contact the landlords though, as the agencys are worse than useless.

We would have no problem paying an extra couple of hundred on a deposit as the dog isn't left alone. We also have a proper carpet cleaner so would have no problems cleaning the house up.

The dog is never left alone. Its at day care all day and with us at night.

16. Milliepoochie

98% of the time we met tenants when they came to view the house, we chose to also be there when the agency showed them around as we wanted to meet perspective tenants as well as them.

(In the end we didnt even go through an agency as they were more hassle than they were worth!)

Definately check Gumtree- as dodgy as it may sometimes seem we advertised there and got loads of viewings.

Maybe actually ask the agency if you can meet the landlord BUT sadly most landlord use an agency as they want no fcae to face dealings with tenants - which personally I cant understand at all.

Sorry only got the one house we rent out :)

17. sparkie1984

Thanks, Damn was hoping you were a property tycoon :D

I will check gumtree out, never really bothered with it as I hear its full of scammers. If I went privately without an agency would the landlord still hold the deposit in the proper scheme?

I don't mean to be rude to landlords at all but I have heard and know of one case where it wasn't done through the scheme and the person lost all their money

18. Milliepoochie

We use The Deposit Protection Service

The Deposit Protection Service

A landlord legally has to have the deposit with a company such as this within 14 days of the start of the tenancy to protect the tenant. If a landlord refuses to do this run a mile!

This enables the tenant to see there deposit is safe.

I wont lie we had some dodgy people through Gumtree (One man wanted to move 14 people in on the day of a 'viewing'!) and we were overun with people living off benefits/income support. (The four agencies we looked at using wont consider people on income support so people will try to rent privately through other means).

Sorry im not to much help but dont give up :) Always ask to see contract etc in advance (We gae ours to the tenants 2 weeks prior to read through etc) you can also get a contract counter signed by a commission for oath at any solicitors (normally costs £5) if this gives both sides more confidence. We personally didnt as we live in the same village as our cottage and were lucky to find a fantastic family (fingers crossed) and get on very wel with them.

I think the main thing is if anything seems not right then run a mile.

19. sparkie1984

Thanks millie, yeah thats the scheme I meant DPS.

I wasn't sure if that could only be done through an agency and not privately.

I will check gumtree out, although we may be a little premature for a end of july move, more I wanted to get prepared and ask the right questions come time really

20. Milliepoochie

Yep it can be done privately so dont let any landlord say it cant as we used them :)

Good Luck in your search :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice