UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...My Lad has a Belgian Shep....he's 19 and Tex is 9, he has him because his owner...good friend of mine has had to move in to a flat in an emergency and they dont allow pets, so Dave now has Tex....he's a great bloke, loves tex to bits and is a very responsible owner....he's limited financially like many 19 yr olds though and I've seen a huge sack of food from [email protected] at only £10....it's their own brand and they seem to sell a lot of it......what I'd lke to know though, is it good suff? I've read some pretty good reviews on it but then I'm sure they make sure there's good reviews about so thought I'd ask everyone here.I've seen a few people say it isn't so good but there are those who don't much like what mine are on either (JWB)and they love it......
Care x

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
The one in the silver bag?

For their chicken adult:

Fresh Chicken min. 24%), Poultry Meat Meal, Maize, Rice, Barley, Maize Gluten Meal, Animal Fat, Sugar Beet Pulp, Poultry Digest, Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Flaxseed, Potato Protein, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, with Antioxidant EC Additives (Vitamin E and Vitamin C). Contains Tocopherol Rich Extracts Of Natural Origin Vitamin E and Vitamin C As EC Permitted Antioxidant, No Added Colourants, Flavourings Or Preservatives. Total Chicken min. 37%.
Its not that bad as far as dog food goes. The animal fat wouldnt be great for dogs with allergies to beef/pork, but otherwise id say for a budget food its pretty good.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one in the silver bag?

For their chicken adult:

Its not that bad as far as dog food goes. The animal fat wouldnt be great for dogs with allergies to beef/pork, but otherwise id say for a budget food its pretty good.
Thanks for that Nonnie I feel a little better about sugesting it now......He's ok as far asallergies and sensitivity goes and he's been on a mix ince he got him, wagg I thnk.....but this one is easier to get and comes ina big sack so I can easily get it for him,
Clare xx

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least they actually tell you what is in it, better that some of the more well known brands. I can't see too much problem with it, needs must sometimes :)
We would all like to feed premium food, but much more important that the dog has a loving home :thumbup:
Pets at Home Adult Complete Dog Food with Beef & Gravy 2.5kg and 12kg | Pets at Home
That's what I thought, and I really woud like to see him be ableto keep him and finances would have been the only reasn he wouldnt have been able to...he's a 19 yrold lad with aspergers syndrome so having Tex has done wonders for him....what they say about pet therapy is so true and he's such a responsible lad, it's so nice to see one of my own so good with aimals....hes like a younger version of me lol
Clare xx

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
If you compare with Arden Grange chicken adult (a recommended food) it seems slightly better.

Chicken Meal* (min 27%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Fresh Chicken (min 5%), Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.
The [email protected] has a greater level of fresh chicken. AG is just 5%.

I personally wouldnt have a problem giving it to my boys, and im quite fussy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It's £25 per 12kg, surely it'd work out cheaper to pay the extra £5 and buy a 15kg sack of weinwrights?

That said, it doesn't look half bad, just seems a bit pricy to me for a budget food.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am quite fussy about what I feed too and so I thought I was on to a winner with the [email protected] silver foods. They have relatively good ingredients for a budget food and even put a few better known brands to shame. It is very good value for money, especially as they often have had offers on it like 15kg for the price of 12 and more recently £5 off a 12kg bag, making it just £25. It was also very useful to be able to nip out and buy a smaller bag if I ever found myself running short at the end of the month when money is tightest.

My dog did well on it and had been on it for the last 2 months but he is now back on the more expensive Fish4Dogs, firstly because that is the only food that doesn't give him wind potent enough to strip the wallpaper from the walls but mainly because he had developed a nasty habit of eating the [email protected] again once it had been through his system, if you know what I mean! Although I know that this coprophagia was harmless, it worried me that he wasn't digesting the food properly and it is also pretty gross after all. This stopped pretty much straight away once he was back on the F4D.

I will admit that my decision to change him back was also helped by the fact that my local pet shop had Fish4Dogs on special offer, £30 for 12kg instead of £43, which is a very good saving. Because this is a higher quality food it also means that I have to feed less, so a 12kg sack last me for a month and costs less than £1 a day to feed, which actually works out cheaper than supermarket stocked rubbish.

I did also find Fish4Dogs cheaper online at The Pet Food Wholesaler, £26 per bag with free delivery if you order 2 at a time, but I have just checked the link and they have removed it from their listings in the last 48 hours.

Dog food is very dependant on the individual dog and what suits some may not suit others, all you can do is pick something with a good balance of quality ingredients and reasonable cost and see how the dog gets on with it. For that, [email protected] silver foods are great and I recommend you give them a go.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
In general, I think its those which have 4% meat and don't tell you what meat it is, and have 'meat and animal derivatives' that are worth watching out for. some dogs still do OK on them, there was concern my dog was a bit sensitive to some things and so he is on grain free stuff and we stay away from beef and pork in his main food, otherwise I would have kept him on Alpha, to be honest as he did well on it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Sonny gets the pets at home puppy food and does really well on it and I think it is good value for money. They seem to have changed the puppy food recently for the better and Sonny does not have as many stomach upsets as he used to have (do not think this was caused by food it was just the way Sonny was). I would have had no concerns changing Sonny over to the adult version of the food however my local Pets @ Home is closed just now due to fire damage (and may be for some time) so as I was having to order online I have changed him to Arden Grange.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
that is cheap!
I pay 11euro per kg of food that I feed Bella. But she also gets cooked meat and veg and rice, and raw bones...so that makes it a little cheaper overall. But she is only 6.7kg so it is easy to feed her really:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried my boy on it once as it seemed competitively priced considering meat was the first ingredient but he hated it, and he will eat anything! He turned his nose up every meal time, even tried some of their doggy gravy on it to no avail. I don't think there's anything wrong with it though if your dog likes it, seemed like a pretty decent food to me!

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
:D:DHeidi was on Wainwrights puppy and I put her on [email protected] silver bag adult for a while. Definately a good food and she did well on it. As you mention, works out cheaper than wainwrights in the long run.

Being a small terrier and the kibble quite large, Heidi did find eating it a challenge, she also got a bit itchy as it isnt hypoallergenic like Wainwrights. I ended up swopping her onto skinners salmon and rice which works out cheaper again. and she really loves this food.

One good thing with [email protected] is that if the food isnt suitable, they will take it back and give you a full refund or exchange no matter how much you have used:thumbup:

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.