Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Hello! I have taught my puppy "sit" which she does on command everytime and "down" which she has got really got the hang of. I am increasing the time she stays in these positions and teaching "stay". What is my next step!? :confused:

I am trying to teach "drop it" at the moment as she likes hanging from dressing gown in the morning! What else should I be working on and does anyone have any tips for the "drop it" command? Once she has hold of something it is nearly impossible to get her to let go!

We are starting puppy classes on Monday which I am looking foward too and being able to work with distractions around. I am so excited (how sad) and my 5 year old boy is coming with me to learn as well as he is very proud that she walks better on the lead for him than me :rolleyes:

2. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

for drop i held a squeaker in my hand and squeaked - once he let go i`d say drop and treat him then i`d do it without the distraction just simply saying drop and he seemed to get it. well i say he gets it but when it`s a ball he`s told to drop about 60% of the time he decides it`ll be more fun to run and have us chase him till he realises i`m not playing then brings it back.

i did teach jake to bark on command but that`s not really necessary i guess i just had my own reasons for teaching that one LOL. i guess you could get a tub of primula cheese and do heel walking round the house/garden?

3. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

To teach give or drop it you need to convince him that by giving whatever it is he has will result in him getting something better. In simple terms its a game of swap, for example, giving you his toy means he gets a better toy, dropping something he shouldn't have picked up in the first place gets him a treat.

I taught it by using a tennis ball to begin with, my dog loves a tennis ball. I threw the tennis around and of course he chases it, catches it and kills it. After that the ball gets a bit boring but he likes to hang on to it just in case, so by using a second tennis ball to regain his interest I was able to get him to bring the first one back to me and do a swap. Once this started getting more consistent you can move on to other things, but the principle is the same, if the dog has something that he wants to keep, then you have to teach him that giving it up will result in him getting something better.

4. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

Swap a toy for a treat (or a better toy) and say drop/give as you take it. She will soon learn that when you say drop/give she gets something better instead :) .
    You could also teach leave. This is very easy to teach and most dogs pick it up straight away. Put a treat in your hand, let her see it and then close your hand. Let her try and get the treat (ignore her even if she scratches or bites!), as soon as she backs off your hand (or looks away) give her a treat (from your other hand). She will very quickly back off straight away. Then put the command to it and start holding the treat in your open hand. Remember to include a release command (yes, OK) so she knows when she can have the treat. You should eventually be able to drop the treat in front of her and she won't get it until you say so.

5. lucyandsandy

Thank you, I will start working on drop-it and leave it! She seems to catch on quite quickly, down was the hardest as she wouldn't follow the treat etc!

6. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Easy. Once you've mastered 'sit', do this...

[​IMG]

7. lucyandsandy

Oh we mastered that one ages ago!! Is that real or photoshopped!?

8. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

the way we dealt with give (or drop in your case) was we would also do this with her toys, and when she gave them to us, she was praised and got it back. It worked for us as it meant to her that give wasnt horrible.

Now if you hear her chewing at night and don't know what it is, we just ask her "what have you got?" and she brings it to us. Sometimes she's allowed it back, sometimes not.

You could also start on a wait. We started teaching her to wait until we said she can have the treat, so you can now put it in front of her and she will wait until we say ok (usually after she looks to us). However doesnt seem to work with food so if you left something on the table she will take it when your back is turned!

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

oh yer leave is a good one to teach and seriously easy (even with a greedy lab!) they seem to pick it up in no time and is particularly good if you drop things or if there`s food laying around outside (my weirdo neighbour used to chuck chicken bones out on the pavement :rolleyes: ) once they master leave you can take it further by putting food on their paws or balancing it on their nose

10. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

We've mastered the paw (and one on each paw) but can't get the nose one - she keeps moving around watching the treat!

11. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

Not essential but after doing sit and lie down and paw, we got my mams dog to do high five :p
    A biggie is getting a dog to come when shouting their name. So eventually you can let them off lead and know theyll come back when called. If they can do that in the house a large part of the time, try doing it with distractions, or on lead when walking. My mams dog seems to have selective hearing :tongue_smilie:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice