Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So upset a groomer did this to our Border Terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stevev, May 15, 2019.

1. Stevev

Stevev PetForums Newbie

So being a Border Terrier, she requires hand stripping and has this done twice a year. Our usual one has moved and so I found, what read as a fully trained groomer who did hand stripping.
    When she finished, she said to me Rosie had a couple of little nips/bites at her but was fine overall.
    Now Rosie has never bitten another dog or us in her life (now 9 years old) and then I saw that she'd literally pulled out all her whiskers and hair around her muzzle!!

The 1st picture is from previous hand stripping and how a Border should look afterwards with short coat but tidy head but what this groomer has done is, in my mind, horrific. Rosie is down to the skin around her mouth, it must have been agony.

Very upset and guilty I put her through that.

Some groomers just cannot be trusted.

Attached Files:

Sacremist likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't even know what to say :eek: That is properly shocking. Did the groomer not even stop to think when the dog communicated her distress?

3. magpi

magpi PetForums Senior

That is horrendous. Poor Rosie did you complain?

Bugsys grandma and lullabydream like this.
  4. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Oh gosh how awful! Poor Rosie!

I handstrip my girl and it's so obvious when I hit a spot that perhaps isn't ready or is a bit sensitive. The groomer actually thought the dog trying to bite her was normal? :confused: and couldn't tell it was through discomfort/pain?! If so she shouldnt be working with dogs!

I think a complaint needs to be made to prevent this happening to another dog. :(

5. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

that's awful I would complain and I hope you asked for a refund poor little dog must have been in pain

Burrowzig, magpi and lullabydream like this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The groomer has stripped all around the muzzle ...whiskers and all :eek: That's someone who has no breed knowledge (which I suspect means she has just qualified) so you do need to go back and make the point that she has done the strip incorrectly (unless specifically requested the beard shape of the muzzle and the whiskers should not be stripped out on a Border, only tidied.)

And yes, that looks sore.

J

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Poor little Rosie. No wonder she nipped her.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  8. Stevev

Stevev PetForums Newbie

Thanks all.

I've sent pictures to the 'groomer' pointing out how swollen Rosie's muzzle is with pictures of previous good hand strips and making it clear Borders should never have their whiskers pulled out but tidied via clipping. Nothing else I can do apart from of course never ever use this person again.

Magyarmum likes this.
  9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Poor Rosie :(

I'm glad you've contacted the groomer, I hope she recovers quickly.

10. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I once used a groomer to groom my Pom and I asked her to tidy up Sadie’s bottom. The fool shaved a stripe up her arse. Another cut off her top coat instead of stripping her undercoat. We have a nice groomer now who knows her stuff.

Poor Rosie, she must have been so distressed. If you can then leave a bad review.

#10 Sacremist, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Calvine and lullabydream like this.
  11. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh my goodness, poor Rosie. No wonder she nipped, that must be so sore :(

lullabydream likes this.
  12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

That is awful! To be honest I'd be demanding a refund & if the groomer has a FB page leaving a bad review! There is no excuse for that.

13. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Omg poor Rosie, i can't believe my eyes on the 2nd pic.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would send pictures to the RSPCA and local papers, that looks like sheer cruelty.
    This person should never be allowed to 'groom' a dog again. Horrifying, poor,poor little girl.
    You should take her to a vet to have her injuries recorded and get in touch with Trevor Cooper at Dog Law.

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd demand a refund and use whatever publicity you can to protect other dogs from this person.

Bugsys grandma and magpi like this.
  16. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

That is just awful!
    I agree with what everyone else has been saying. Definitely complain and make sure others know what this 'groomer' ( and I'm using the term very loosely) has done to your little lady.

Please don't beat yourself up about this though. I understand why you feel bad, but obviously you had no idea that anything like this would happen or you would never have taken Rosie anywhere near this woman.

I hope Rosie's little face recovers soon, and that she's ok. It does look very sore bless her.
    I'm really not surprised she tried to nip her.

Calvine likes this.
  17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Having thought about this a bit more, I'd also claim compensation for the damage and how it is very likely to put the dog off going to a groomers again. Maybe next time insist on being present to help keep your dog calm.
    And go to your local Trading Standards. I've seen some bad grooming before, but that takes the prize.

18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Imagine having your moustache hair pulled out by hand - having your legs waxed is pretty awful.

19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Even if I had never groomed a dog in my life (which I haven't), I would know instinctively that yanking out her whiskers was not an option; I'd make a point of checking before I started. It's going to make the poor little girl so fearful next time she has to be done.

Vicbloss likes this.
  20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It just seems so unbelievably cruel! That's why I think the RSPCA should be involved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice