Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

So, this happened. . .

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LinznMilly, Jan 24, 2019.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

IMG_20190124_023906_023.jpg

A bit of explanation: This is my old 40gal - I've had it for about 12 years or so, but for the last 8, it's been at my dad's, housing his goldfish. Sadly, last week, his and my stepmum's last fantail died, and they've decided not to get anymore. (RIP Howie :( )

So, dad asked me if I wanted my tank back. This tank is my pride and joy - of course I wanted it back! As you can see from the photos above, I've wasted no time planting it. :D

It needs new lights, because, (you can't see this from the pic, but.. .) The light switch is on its way out, more gravel, because the plants keep uprooting :rolleyes: :D and more decor. And, I'd hope it goes without saying that it needs to be completely filled :p .

In my head, it's already stocked - it's going to be a South American Community tank, a species of apistogramma or blue ram cichlids, (I keep changing my mind as to which one I want - aqadvisor says I could have both - I'm not sureI'm brave enough:eek: ) pencilfish, and cories.

And, while I'm at it, I might as well post a pic or two of my 20gal Southeast Asian Community, which has recently had a makeover of its own :D : IMG_20190124_023950_970.jpg

Somewhere in there, there are 15 Glowlight Rasbora (Trigonostigma Hengeli) and 1 Pearl Gourami (Trichopodus Leerii). :D

This is from before I added more plants:
    2019-01-24 03.14.48.jpg

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Oh how exciting iove setting up a new tank. I look forward to seeing it evolve and photos of the new inhabitants.

I have a nice shoal of the rasbora. They are lovely fish . Your pearl gourami is lovely too.

I have managed to get down to two tanks. My second is a tiny 20 litre that houses a 7 year old Amano shrimp that I keep expecting to die of old age but seems determined to keep going :)

Don't forget to post more pics as it progresses please.

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. LinznMilly

Staff Member

I'd love shrimp some day, but they're not exactly compatible with the fish I like to keep.

The rasboras are stunning, aren't, they? :) The biggest headache I've had with them was buying them. Three LFS had them, but only one knew what they were. One tried to sell me Glowlight Danios, and the other tried to sell me Glowlight Tetras, and when I corrected him, argued with me that they were Harlequins. :rolleyes: .

But, that's in the past. Mine are over a year old now, and 2 of the fifteen were bred in the tank. I'm torn between getting another Gourami and adding more of the rasboras (playing dumb and pointing to them and saying - I want them ones" :Bag :Hilarious ).

lymorelynn and kittih like this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Haha i had that when i bought mine. I tend to size up the fish shop seller to eork out how clued up they are. With most its nust easier to point though i did meet a very knkwleageable shop asistant at a pets at home and we happily geeked out on more unusual fish we had kept.

I have a shoal of 13. No succesful spawnings as the young kribs (to be rehomed once old enough) and the two elderly golden barbs tend to eat all the eggs.

I also have shoals of neons and rummy noses that work well colout and behaviour wise with the rasboras. Once the goldies go i am planning to het a pai of honey gouramies. The pearls are tempting but i am trying to go for smaller fish in this setup.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Beautiful :) I'd love a pearl gourami in with my espei rasboras, but sadly the tank's not quite big enough.

And I have the same problem buying espeis - I generally just ask for whatever the label on the tank calls them (generally something like "copper harlequins").

LinznMilly and kittih like this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

When I bought some Sterbai corys I ended up having to describe them as the spotty ones with orange fins so they would know which ones I meant. :D

LinznMilly and NaomiM like this.
  7. LinznMilly

Staff Member

I prefer smaller fish - I think they make the tank look bigger - and of course, you can have more of them. :D

I did that with the gourami. They were called Lace gourami in the shop. Mine seems to be a hermaphrodite :Hilarious One day I see an egg spot, next, it's gone and s/he's building a bubble nest. Trust me to get a fish with gender identity issues. :Hilarious :Wacky

At least, if they're called "copper harlequins" the LFS recognise that they're different from true harlequins (which I've seen labelled "harlequin tetras" :Banghead It probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does. :Bag )

NaomiM and kittih like this.
  8. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Starting to get some character now;

2019-01-26 14.09.41.jpg

kittih and NaomiM like this.
  9. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Looking good. What plants have you got in there? I would like to increase the variety in my tank

#9 kittih, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    LinznMilly likes this.
  10. LinznMilly

Staff Member

TBH I just bought a bunch of 50 from eBay for about £12 and hoped for the best. :oops: :D .Did the same for the 20gal with a bunch of 25.

But, the ones I recognise are:
    Elodea Densa (some planted at the back, some just left floating)
    Cabomba
    Twisted Vallis
    Water Wisteria
    And I think the reds are a species of ludwigia. o_O

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Ludwigia doesnt seem to like my tank, not sure why. I would really like to get some water wisteria again but none of the local places has it. Perhaps i need to go online. Which supplier did you use on ebay ?

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Sounds like my experience. If it's not Elodea, Amazon swords, or maybe anubias nana, you're out of luck.

I used this seller for both of my recent plant purchases:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/levisapphire1989/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

:)

kittih likes this.
  13. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Another picture update.
    2019-01-30 18.32.39.jpg

Still need more plants, and I'm not entirely happy with the heater's position, but it's getting there.

14. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Its looking good. The heater will soon be disgiuised by the plants. I always situate the heater by the filter outflow.

LinznMilly likes this.
  15. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Thank you. :)

Yeah, same here, RE the heater. I intend to move it further to the left before I get any fish.

However, I have a bigger problem.

I was going to add Indian almond leaves to introduce tannins to the tank, but I checked KH today, and it's only 2dKH. I'll check the 20gal tomorrow, but last time I checked, the KH was about 8dH (but then, that's a dirted tank). pH is 7 in both tanks. Tap water is also 2dKH.

So the almond leaves won't be going in there. I'm off to research ways of raising KH without affecting pH.

16. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Getting near to the point of being ready for fish (I'm not carrying out a fish less cycle - just going to instant-cycle by swapping some of the media from the internal in the 20gal).
    20190204_152025-1.jpg

Annnnd. . . I caved and added some almond leaves (the substrate seemed a bit sterile for an Amazon tank to me. :D ). Some Amazon swords and vallis are on order.
    20190205_162504-1.jpg

PH swings in this tank between a diurnal value of 7.2 and a nocturnal value of 6 or below, almost as soon as the lights go on/off. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm hoping that LED lights with a few different settings that can simulate dawn and dusk as well as day and night, as well as the bioload of the fish themselves, might slow the swing down.

17. LinznMilly

Staff Member

2019-02-08 14.07.11.jpg

Added
    5 Amazon Swords
    10 Straight Vallis
    And. . .

10 Neon Tetras. :D :Smug

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice