Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

so many brands of cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by aella851, Aug 15, 2009.

1. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

What cat food do you use for your kitten/cat?
    I am hopefully going to be welcoming a Siberian kitten into my home at some point and I am look at the different brands, there are so many of them and diff range of cost. So what do you use, and what do they not like..

angela :)

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I use Natures Menu, Hi-life, Cosmo, Tesco Finest, Applaws and raw - they love them! They won't touch Whiskas (very clever and sensible cats)

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

The world of cat food is such a confusing place!
    Just as I think I ahve found THE best cat food for my bunch I notice that something else is just that little bit better.

I use Applaws and Nature's Menu wet food with Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Hills and Proplan dry food.

I like to give mine a good mixture to ensure they don't get bored.

You want to be looking for food with a high meat content and as little filler's as possible.

Some are more expensive then others but in general you do get what you pay for, although there are exceptions.

I hear that Butchers cat food is high in meat content but quite cheap although I have never tried it.

I would avoid Whiskars at all costs it only has 4% meat and a lot of people comment it makes their kittens hyperactive.

Mine have never really refused to eat anything other than Asda's own cat food which my mother in law tried feeding them after she insisted it was no different to any other food.

Well they certainly thought it was and turned their nose up at it !

Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i now use james welbeloved cat/kitten food as my cats are so fussie and would eat meat but they love this food even smokey that was on a neadle a month from the vets because he would eat and it was ment to make him eat but now he dosent need them because he eats more then holly now and with james welbelove once there out of the kitten one you can get 10 k bags that lasts me about two and hal fmonth for two cats so that quite good and most in portent they love it good luck on your look for cat food

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I use Bozita (zooplus) and Butchers Classic. I also supplement with raw for those that will eat it.

(Butchers Classic is not the highest meat content on the shelf but it has no additives including carbohydrates or glutten or veg. Look at the content analysis of Natures Menu and you will see 'sugar'. As one of my cats suffers from gingavitis Natures Menu is not on my list).

6. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

I raw feed.

7. [Cas]

[Cas] PetForums Newbie

Our new kitten, Rolo has a very weak stomach. Can't eat the normal catfoods, gives him the raging turds. He is currently on I/d special diet food from the Vets, but it's costing £1 a sachet!

Wondered if there is anything anyone knows of that we could try? Also, it has to be wet food, as dry food has the same effect. :(

Thanks for any advice. :)

8. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I use Butchers Classic because I discovered it has a higher meat content and less junk, plus it is quite cheap. Originally I was put off by the tacky, lurid packaging, but I've discovered my cats are happy to eat the fish variety. The meaty type seems to give them the runs and they're not so keen. It smells awful to the human nose but doesn't put the cats off.

9. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

I use Natures Menu and Applaws wet and Royal Canin dry (only put down a tiny bit of dry every few days as Winston still loves a bit of his kitten dry food on the side with his breakfast some days :))

10. Vic81

Vic81 PetForums Member

Tescos Luxury - same price as whiskas pouches but 50% meat instead of whiskas' poor 4%, although he does get whiskas dry food too

11. aella851

was going to do dry food but not sure now???

12. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

What you mean?! Cats need wet food twice a day, kittens need wet food 4 times a day - and constant access to dry food and water.
    Royal Canin dry food is really good, and gourmet, science plan, hi-life and tesco finest are really good wet foods!

13. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I feed my guys a holistic food that has low ash chicken, no by products or junk. A dry food 10 pound bag cost me 41$ every two weeks roughly. Ive noticed since switching them from purina to this they
    1. Dont eat as much, which is good as horris has a habit of gorging himself.
    2. Cleaning out of the littler boxs, ive noticed a decrease in how much im cleaning out of 4 litter box everyday.
    3. Horris coat now has a nice shine to it and he has become alot less smelly.

They also get a can a day of lick your chops which has no by products or much junk in it. Latly tho the hot weather has slowed down how much they eat so im only giving them a spoon each in the morning and at night so i dont waste so much as it costs 1.79$ a can.

they also get raw inbetween that from, chicken hearts and gizzards,chicken,beef,tuna,salmon and ham.

14. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

Cas, I sympathise with you having to buy the expensive ID stuff as my poor old puss Kitten, now sadly gone, was on it for about ten years most of the time, and cost me as much to feed as all my others put together (in his case it was severe vomiting and regurgitation, and he died of a digestive cancer, only diagnosed towards the end, though he made sixteen thankfully). What used to work for a little while was to feed him only one variety of food that was in little morsels, usually a chicken type, and just give him very small portions at a time, never leave it lying around and not too warm or cold. Sounds like a different problem from yours though.

15. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Constant access to water yes, but not dry food. In fact because of the health issues with long term dry feeding, its something best avoided altogether.

There is no need for a cat to graze throughout the day. As long as they have the appropriate amount of food in a day then that can be divided in to set meal times.

16. aella851

:001_tt2:

What do you feed your cat??? :)

17. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

That works if your home alot but im usually gone for 9 hrs and no one else will feed the cats besides my mom but she works 12 hr days so dry food can be handy.

18. Grinningcat

Grinningcat PetForums Junior

I feed my cats a complete diet of grain-free wet food, Wellness brand. They are fed every morning and evening.
    There's no reason to leave dry food out all day for adult cats (although water should always be available). Adults are fine with regular feedings.

With young kittens, smaller and more frequent meals are best. If you're not around to feed several times during the day, then I can see leaving out a high-quality dry food.

Don't skimp on food quality. You want a high protein, grain-free, no by-products food. Wet is ideal. The best cat foods can be pricey, but it's worth it down the road. Bad food will cause all sorts of health problems later in a cat's life. Feed right, and you won't be dealing with those vet bills.

19. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

A wide variety of high quality wets from Zooplus, CatsCountry, P@H, Lily's kitchen and also the supermarket, fresh fish and meat (cooked and raw) and scrambled egg made with goats yoghurt.

20. aella851

What do you use from zoo plus?? sorry so many questions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice