Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So I've decided

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tinktinktinkerbell, Oct 12, 2013.

1. tinktinktinkerbell

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

My experience of those cheap bottles of hair dye is that they last less than a week before they start fading. Of course, they are good if you want to experiment with hair colours, but don't expect longevity.

3. tinktinktinkerbell

I've dyed my hair with bottled dye before and it's never faded quick (unless red)

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Well either you are lucky or I have been unlucky. ;) My experience with haircare products is like anything, you get what you pay for. There is a reason a £4 bottle of hair dye is what it is.

5. Bloodraine5252

Bloodraine5252 PetForums Senior

I used to use that stuff but always went for purple/red so it faded quicker. Whenever I've used dark colours they've been fine though. I never found dark colours fade...

6. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

This is my usual brand and I love it. The bright colours do fade fairly quick (tho all reds do I find) but now I'm back to black it is permanent, just grows out. Pretty good for me as my hair never used to take dye for long. I'd say go for it, even if it doesn't last as long as you hope you won't be too out of pocket!

7. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

That's a lovely colour. I don't think Hair dyes fade too quickly, I put cheapish semi permanent auburn colour on my hair about 7 months ago and its still tinted red, I did have a couple of pink baths though with it washing out :eek:.

8. eiretzu

eiretzu PetForums Member

That looks like a nice colour. I have found these kind of colours pretty good in the past. Going to blond from darker brown is quite difficult and I was told it would be very damaging for my hair as you would have to use a strong bleach or pre-lightening first so think you have made the right decision.

9. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Hey Tinker,

I know it might seem feminine for you but next time you feel well enough to go out why not treat yourself to a proper session with a hair dresser. I'm not girly in anyway and I only have my hair but once a year (my yearly shear as I call it) but the experts will know what colours to do your hair to suit. It makes a huge difference to get their opinion, even if you then dye it at home.

10. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I have used live hair dye and found it lasted quite well :)

11. chichi

chichi Banned

Love the colour, Tink but my DD used that brand and though it didn't wash out for very many wishes; it did not do much for the condition of her hair. She has long, thick, naturally curly hair though, so don't know if it would react the same on everyone.

Just bear in mind that if your hair is brittle or can become dry with certain products, you might want to check out a dye that uses less chemicals.

Pics when you have dyed your hair please;) I bet it will really brighten you up to have a nice new colour....always nice to have a change :)

12. tinktinktinkerbell

My hair is only dry really if I don't use a conditioner

I'll post pics when it's done :p

Definitely need a change!

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I use the more natural ones that don't contain all the nasty chemicals and agree that they do fade fairly quickly (depending on the shade). They cost £9, but I still think it works out much cheaper to re-do it more often than pay what some of my friends do in a salon. Sure £45 is not uncommon (?)

Also, avoiding the chemicals is worth it IMO.

It doesn't take very long, especially as my hair is short. I can usually get 2 retouches out of a box so it's actually quite cost-effective.

14. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I use xxl often and only the reds tend to fade in my experience.
    It'll look nice :)

15. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Hi Tinks

Just been with my hairdresser and saw your thread so showed her the product you were thinking of using then fished out a thread with your pic on.

She says, seems as though you are naturally darkish judging by your eyebrows, so thinks this colour will suit you much better than blonde which may well give you a washed out look!

The product you intend on using is not to bad. It should not fade out to quickly.

Obviously she has not got her hands on your hair and has no idea what sort of condition it is in, just thought I would ask what she thinks as a very loose idea, based on product and what she can see on your pic.

16. tinktinktinkerbell

Ooh thank you and thanks to your hairdresser!

17. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

Good luck I use the mousse stuff as it seems to have more dye in it.

18. Plebob

Plebob PetForums Member

i've used this product (ultraviolet) on my daughter's hair and it coloured it well and gave good results. Mine costs £55 every 6 weeks so a big difference!

19. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I use the mousse version of XXL too but I prefer my hair after it's washed out a little anyway. Can see all the tones and shades instead of it just being flat brown.

I only get mine done at the salon a handful of times a year, I just can't afford it all the time. I dip dyed the bottom of my hair a little while ago with one of the L'Oreal Preference Wild Ombres Dip Dye kits and it came out really well :D Looked even nicer once the hair dresser scissored into it a bit

20. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

They selling XXL live in poundland at minute

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice