Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

So it's been a while...

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Acidic Angel, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

I haven't really updated about all the snakes we own on here for a while, and I figured it was about time I did lol.

Adhara- The 16 year old rescue we took in last August.
    She's now had three sheds while with us, her eyes are still "bulgy" but there are absolutely no stuck caps on them now! She's putting on weight slowly and steadily, and is still such a sweet natured snake. She does have some cataracts, but at her age that's to be expected.
    3rd January 2019 (4).jpg
    Taryn- My CB17 Hypo Diffused Tessera.
    This boy just gets brighter and brighter with age! I cannot wait to see him fully grown. He'll hopefully be breeding this year, but we'll see how things go.
    24th January 2019 (1).jpg
    Rogue & Savannah- My CB17 pair of het Scaleless.
    Rogue is a Normal het Anery, Dilute, Scaless and Savannah is a Tessera het Anery, Dilute, Scaleless. I've got another year at least before I can pair these two as Savannah needs to be at least 3 years old, 3ft long and 300g before I will pair her. These photos are admittedly from Dec 2018, I've not managed to get them out for good photos since unfortunately.
    2nd December 2018 (1).jpg 2nd December 2018 (6).jpg
    CB18 Hatchlings- My remaining hatchlings from the 2018 season.
    I only have three of these left now, out of a total of nine. I have my lovely Caramel boy, who I adore but I won't be keeping. And then I have two gorgeous Normals who were picky feeders to begin with, but are now feeding reliably thankfully.
    14th January 2019 (2).jpg 1st December 2018 (1).jpg 14th January 2019.jpg
    Jupiter- My CB16 male KSB, who I bought as a female...
    So Jupiter is still my tiny chunky boy, and I still adore his dopey face!
    28th December 2018 (4).jpg
    Last update for today.
    Apollo- Our CB16 male dwarf Purple Albino reticulated python.
    For a dwarf, he's not exactly small, but he's smaller than he would be if he was a mainland size haha. This photo was taken last night, I hooked him out of his viv and he didn't want to let go of the hook, so I let him keep hold of it while I spot cleaned and changed his water
    26th January 2018.jpg

I'll probably add more updates tomorrow or next week, Idon't have updated photos of everyone at the moment, but we're cleaning Amethyst, the big girl, out tomorrow so I'll try and get some updated pictures of her then. Until then, I hope this suffices :p

kimthecat, faust and Colette like this.
  2. Acidic Angel

So slight delay in the update due to the arrival of my friend and Penny on Sunday... But here's some more photos :)

Amethyst- CB13 dwarf Lavender Albino reticulated python.
    Amethyst still has some attitude problems, but she's definitely improved a lot and is much more handleable now. She recently shed and was cleaned out on Sunday morning, so here's some photos from just after putting her back in her viv.
    27th January 2019 (2).jpg 27th January 2019 (7).jpg
    Leviathan(Levi)- Our male CB04 yellow rat snake.
    Levi is our second oldest snake now, Adhara beat him when we got her, being 2 years older than him, never the less he is still getting up there now. As he ages, he becomes less willing to be touched, though so far he hasn't bitten or hissed, he just has a habit of shoving me with his body to warn me off. He still has his days where he's willing to come out though.
    28th December 2018 (6).jpg
    Cereus- Male CB08 Butter corn snake.
    My second ever corn snake, I bought him and his set up for £100 in 2012 and he's still my baby to this day. I love all my snakes, well, all my animals, but Cereus definitely has a special place in my heart.
    (This photo is from October 2018, I just never posted it :Shy )
    19th October 2018 (1).jpg
    Amara- Female CB14 Normal corn snake.
    Amara was my first ever keeper from one of my corn snake clutches, Cereus is her father, I unfortunately no longer have her mother :(
    (Again, photo from October 2018).
    25th October 2018 (4).jpg
    Vladimir- Male CB13 Caramel Stripe corn snake.
    Vladimir(named after Vlad the Impaler) was one of my first "breeder purchases" for reptiles, and I had him couriered up to me in Sheffield, all the way from Surrey!
    27th July 2018 (1).JPG
    Aurelia- Female CB15 Masque corn snake.
    We bought Aurelia and Orion(below) from the same breeder as I bought Vlad from. Again, excellent quality snakes, and both have an even temperament and good feeding response. Aurelia can be shy at times, but most of the time shes fine when out.
    7th November 2018 (1).jpg
    Orion- Male CB15 Anery Masque corn snake.
    As above, we bought Orion and Aurelia at the same time from the same breeder. Orion is a fair bit bigger than Aurelia, and is the only corn snake I own that gets fed once a month or he gets fat- I can relate to this though, I look at food and put weight on lol!
    26th September 2018 (3).jpg

We do also have the western hognoses, but those are currently in brumation ready for breeding this year- So no updated photos of them until they wake up :p

kimthecat and faust like this.
  3. Acidic Angel

Guess who's awake now!!

My lovely shovelnoses are all awake and warmed up, ready for this years breeding season. So I, of course, had to get them out and get some nice updated photos of them all :p

Thorne- My CB14 Normal 50% poss het Frosted boy.
    My first hognose, the one that started the hognose love. He's still a little dopey boy, and he always will be I think.
    18th February 2019 (1).jpg 18th February 2019 (3).jpg
    Rose- My CB16 Frosted girl.
    Since Thorne is 50% poss het Frosted, I bought this girl to hopefully prove him out one day. I hope that day will be this year!
    18th February 2019 (1).jpg 18th February 2019 (4).jpg
    Titan- My CB16 Anaconda het Snow boy.
    Titan, despite his name, is our smallest hognose. My fiance bought him and Nyx(below) in 2016 from a breeder, with the aim for us to hopefully produce Snow Anacondas one day!
    18th February 2019 (1).jpg 18th February 2019 (2).jpg
    Nyx- My CB16 Normal het Snow girl.
    As mentioned above, Nyx was bought with Titan with the aim of producing Snow Anacondas one day. Definitely our grumpiest hognose, and the only one to have ever bitten me(so far....).
    18th February 2019 (1).jpg 18th February 2019 (2).jpg

Further updates will eventually be added to this whole thread, I think I'm just going to use this to update on the snakes here and there being honest, rather than making a new thread each time :)

#3 Acidic Angel, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    kimthecat likes this.
  4. Acidic Angel

Snake update!
    So starting with the breeding news so far...
    We have had zero locks yet, mostly the early season. I'm only planning two corn snake pairs and two hognose pairs this year though, so I'm in no rush :)

And here's some update photos of a few of the snakes.

Vladimir- CB13 Caramel Stripe het Amel.
    He is just going into shed so these don't truly show his colour, but he's still pretty IMO. One of the males I hope to pair this year, but he's also a very confused boy... He gets so far and then just, nada.
    26th February 2019 (2).jpg 26th February 2019 (3).jpg
    Taryn- CB17 Hypo Diffused Tessera het Amel, Charcoal, Lavender 50% poss het Anery.
    My second planned male for this year, this boy is very eager but so far his planned mate is a bit reluctant, it's still early for her though.
    27th February 2019 (2).jpg 27th February 2019 (5).jpg
    Aurelia- CB15 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe.
    A long list of hets for this girl, but hopefully she'll breed with Taryn when she's ready. She bred last year with another male, but we didn't have much luck unfortunately. Only one photo of her because she was being particularly wriggly.
    26th February 2019.jpg
    Savannah- CB17 Tessera het Anery, Dilute, Scaleless 50% poss het Kastanie, Motley.
    Not one of my planned females for this year, next year hopefully provided she's up to weight and size, and mature enough.
    27th February 2019 (9).jpg 27th February 2019 (10).jpg
    Rogue- CB17 Normal het Anery, Dilute, Scaleless 50% poss het Kastanie, Motley.
    The planned male for Savannah above, next year hopefully!
    27th February 2019 (1).jpg 27th February 2019 (4).jpg

Everyone else is deep in shed, getting ready for breeding season, but there may be more updates soon, we'll see how things go.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

They really are beautiful ! :)

When did you start becoming interested in snakes?

Acidic Angel likes this.
  6. Acidic Angel

Thank you, they're my "babies" so to speak.
    I grew up around reptile owners in the family, friends, etc. so I've pretty much always had an interest :)

kimthecat likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ah I see. I didnt have that influence , my sister is scared of reptiles but I'm not. We had two tortoises, though :D

Acidic Angel likes this.
  8. Acidic Angel

The first snake I ever owned was a Bairds rat snake called Mystery, but there were some attitude issues with him, and although I was working on them he was quite a snake to handle. Especially since I didn't get him until he was already about 4ft long, and I was quite young. One day, while handling him to try and "calm him down" so to speak, the cat(who I had shut out of the room for her safety and Mystery's) noticed I hadn't quite shut the door properly and she pushed it open. In she came, running towards the now very upset snake, he struck out towards her and ended up flying out of my hands, and then down the floorboards he went.
    We never saw him again, so the chances are he passed away unfortunately as he would have been unlikely to survive in the building walls for a long period, and if he got outside the UK winter would have been the end.

After that I just stuck with helping with other people's snakes, and seeing them at zoos, etc. as this picture of a very sunburnt me shows :p
    (Also, my youngest brother, Tyler, was absolutely over the moon when he was allowed to hold the same royal python I had! Shows how the love of reptiles runs in the family because of our upbringing.)
    1st Sept 08.jpg 1st Sept 08 (1).jpg

That is until in 2012, when my godfather(who I call my uncle, because I'm that close to him) had to decide to rehome one of his two corn snakes due to moving house and not having room for all three snakes(2 corns and a king) in his new place. Who got first dibs? I got first dibs! And with that "Alpha" came home :)
    Now, the two corns my uncle had were already around the 3ft mark when he was given them, they were underfed, and described as being "aggressive", they were cohabited(he separated) and supposed to be a male and female pair, with "Alpha" being the male...
    I was with my ex girlfriend at the time, and she had a female corn snake as well, we decided we were going to breed my male with her female- And then nothing happened.. We're thinking "OK, is her female a male? What's going on?", so we took them both to be probed for sexing, and found out they were both females!
    So, Alpha was renamed Sakana, and I bought a male to pair with her myself, that male was Cereus. I bred them in 2013, and had a decent clutch from them, unfortunately we also had a bit of a heatwave and my incubator temperatures soared to over 32c for prolonged periods, cooking the eggs. So I waited, and in 2014 I paired them again- Out of that clutch I got Amara(and 18 others!), she was hatchling 19 out of 19.

Sakana unfortunately passed away in January 2017 from a horrific prolapse, she would have been 12 years old that year so she was still pretty young.Unfortunately a prolapse as bad as she had would have been unlikely to be fixable, even if I had caught her in time, but by the time I found her that morning she had already gone and I was faced with a horrible scene.
    This was her in January 2016, she was my baby out of all my reptiles, and I will never forget her. My introduction to corn snakes, and undoubtedly my favourite, even though you're not supposed to choose favourites with your animals.. Amara is my last living connection to her, and although she will never replace Sakana, she has taken place as my favourite in my entire collection. She may not be the prettiest snake to some people, and she's definitely not a high value morph, but I have such a sentimental attachment to her because of who her mother was.
    29th January 2016 (10).JPG 29th January 2016 (12).JPG

kimthecat likes this.
  9. Acidic Angel

Small update today :)

We had some brief sun recently, so I took Orion out in it for some quick photos.
    5th March 2019 (1).jpg 5th March 2019 (3).jpg 5th March 2019 (5).jpg 5th March 2019 (7).jpg

In other news, I only have one hatchling from last year now. So I took him out while it was nice, but shady, yesterday morning :)
    12th March 2019 (1).jpg 12th March 2019 (2).jpg 12th March 2019 (3).jpg

kimthecat likes this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I bet they enjoyed that.

Nice photos of you and your brother. You both look so cute.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  11. Acidic Angel

They seem to like the fresh air of being outside, maybe it's just because there are loads of new scents outside for them to smell.

Thank you, my brother was cute, me not so much :p

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice