Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So how many

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Dogs have you seen out and about during the hottest part of the day ?

I saw a poor lab this morning outside Tesco with it's owners it was about 11.45 am,she was chatting with someone saying they take her down to the river about this time every day to cool down :confused:
    But why take her during the hottest part of the day surely keep her in the cool during the day and take her when it cools down a little on an evening.

The poor thing was really panting heavy,then was put in a hot car with it's owners. :(

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I'm glad to say I've seen none :)

3. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Far too many unfortunately, these stupid people insist on dragging their dog's around thinking they enjoy the sun as much as the dumb owner's, honestly the row's I've had :cursing:

4. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

mine have been running around like lunatics and thats saying something for the pugs!!! in and out of the babys paddling pool and even chasing the chickens, i had to put them indoors to cool them down!!!

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I saw a few dogs today, one of them was Dave.. i had to take him to the vet's to have a look at one of his teeth. We were in town for 1 and a half hours but he spent 10 mins on the street from the bus to the vet, then to my oh shop where he lay inside under the table with a chew and big bowl of water.

x

6. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

4 dogs in total
    2 were really hairy breeds bless 'em :(

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Last time there was a heat wave a huge newfie mix I think poor thing was panting like crazy. There tends to be quite a few around.

8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I've taken 5 dogs out today and I've seen dozens of others out too.

(there is another thread atm similar to this, so I'm repeating myself, sorry) I feel really guilty for taking them out in the middle (ish) of the day but I go out of my way to ensure they are in woodland shade with access to rivers and lakes all the time. We do not walk far or fast and most of the time we spend mucking around in the water.

It's really not ideal, and I wouldn't if at all possible, but people still expect their dog's day to be broken up at lunch time regardless of the weather. When I think of all the threads that talk about getting dog walkers in in the middle of the day if you work fulltime, I wish I'd asked then what will happen in the hot weather (everyone is pro getting your dog out at lunchtimes on those threads!) Sadly, people can't have it both ways :(

9. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

None! However I bumped into a few at 6am this morning and expect to again at 10pm! :D

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Far, far too many. No-one in my area seem to have changed their walking routines.

I hear them going under my window all day long.

11. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I saw about 5 or 6 down the street when I was at the shops. One was a sheltie with a really heavy/thick looking coat and it was panting and looked like it couldn't be bothered. The other ones their owners were sitting on benches and the dogs were just lying flat out on the pavement and looked far too hot.

12. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

Mine, but they sit in the shade, or go in the river or pool.

13. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Couldnt believe what i was seeing today young couple clambered on the bus with a very hot panting sbt and her 6 week old pup of which they plonked on the seat. The poor mother dog was panting so heavily i dread to think how the pup was feeling as they cant regulate heat so well. People dont think they should stand them in the baking sun in a full fur coat and see how they feel then. I did comment to the lad staying i thought it was a bit warm and his dog neede some water he answer was oh im nearlly home now anyhow.

14. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I usually walk Monty straight after doing the school run in the morning. I can't go any earlier.

We walk in shady woodland which is a two minute walk from our house and there is a stream which he paddles in. Saw about 4 dogs down there, with owners all having the same idea to stick to the shade.

I've said on another thread that I took Mont out yesterday evening with us cos it was cooler outside in the shade than my kitchen.

It's raining now so hopefully it'll be fresher later.

15. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

This is Monty's shady walk ...

June 347.jpg

The stream is on the left hand side

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice