Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So good in a challenging situation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Honey Bee, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

I just have to tell you all how proud I am of Honey and how good she was last night considering what was going on. Sorry this is a bit of a tale. :D

My OH had food poisoning after Christmas and has been poorly on and off since but last night around midnight he looked very grey and then confessed he had been having pains in his chest during the day, but not then. I took his blood pressure (have one of those monitor things cos he's on medication for it) and it was much higher than normal. So I dithered a bit and then phoned NHS Direct for advice as I didn't want to call 999 if there was no real emergency. NHS Direct were really good and after a lot of questions put me through to arrange an emergency ambulance.

During this time Honey stayed glued to her dad and licked his hand the whole time and sat so he could stroke her. I'm sure it calmed him a lot. The ambulance control had said she must be put in another room because of their equipment, so I did this. The First Responder Paramedic arrived and she only barked once then settled. He started to do some tests and an ECG and then the ambulance arrived and she barked briefly again, then nothing. The crew insisted I let her out to see them, so she said hi, then went and sat quietly on her bed and waited patiently. It took a while but the ECG was ok and he didnt have to go to hospital which was a great relief. Apparently he has a nasty virus thing.

Afterwards the original Paramedic spent a little while playing with her and was very impressed that she was so well behaved, especially when I told him we don't have many visitors. She's having a quiet day today cos I'm sure she needs the rest after all the excitement.

#1 Honey Bee, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

No wonder you are proud; sounds as if she behaved beautifully. I'm also pleased that there was nothing serious wrong with your OH and wish him better soon :).

3. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

What a wonderful girl Honey is , especially as there must have been more than a little tension in the air. SHe has definitely earned some extra cuddles.

Best wishes for a swift recovery for your OH.

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Thank you both for your lovely comments and wishes for OH. Honey is getting a bit spoiled with the odd extra treat and is sitting on the sofa next to her dad still keeping watch but she seems more relaxed now. He is feeling a lot better tonight so I am sure it is just a bug thing.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww bless her. It's amazing how they sense these situations and know exactly what's required of them. She is a credit to you:D

Hope OH is better soon. Good to hear he didnt have to go to hospital;)

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Awwww what a little star she is, as beautiful inside as she is outside obviously.

7. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Thanks ever so much. I've got a bit of a lump in my throat now. xx

8. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Bless her!...she behaved wonderfully with all that was happening, I'm not surprised you feel so proud!

Also, pleased to hear your hubby is ok! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice