Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So Frustrated With Lack of Action By Dog Wardens

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SallyUK, Jul 6, 2009.

1. SallyUK

SallyUK PetForums Senior

I'm so fed up not getting any help from our local Dog Warden department.

It's not the first time I've taken in stray dogs and today I ended up having to ring the dog warden again.

I was sitting in the lounge this morning minding my own business (well, actually watching River City (don't laugh!) and I had to take a double take, as there was an enormous black and white Great Dane went walking past the front window!! I waited to see if there was an owner with it, however, there wasn't. I watched it walk up the street and back down again and by this time I was shouting at my son to come see it! At the same time, I asked him, to go get me one of Digby's leads and some dog biscuits - ( you know you get that gut instinct when you know it's a loose dog - lol)

By the time I went outside, my neighbour had came out too and the two of us were trying to persuade it to come closer and take some food and so we could get the lead on to it, but it wasn't having any of it. I suggested that perhaps it might prefer men and so left a bowl of dog biscuits on the pavement and went to see if one of our male neighbours was in, but he wasn't.

During this time, I rang the dog warden department only to be told that the dog warden wasn't at work until Wednesday however there were two other people who (in her words) were trying to be dog wardens but weren't trained on how to catch dogs, but if the dog was secure, they could come and collect it!!!!!!!!!!!! So I said, "ok, in the meantime, this dog is left to roam and might either cause an accident or injure itself somehow!"

By the time I came off the phone, the dog had gone wandering further along the road out of sight and I had to get ready for work, so somewhere, in my area there's the possibility that a huge black and white Great Dane is on the loose and I can't do a thing about it, which is really annoying me a great deal!

It has such sad eyes too and was only wearing a choke chain, no collar and certainly no tag.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, :mad:

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest.

Sal
    x

2. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

its no good, our dog warden is however overactive in taking STAFFIES WICH ARE LEGAL away and destroying them...

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ha Ha,I was just about to say they can't be as bad as our dog wardens then I noticed you are in Huddersfield as well, so I think I will just agree with you.

4. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

its ridiculous, the RSPCA wont even pick up this stray cat we found, they wont even let us take him to them!!!
    most animal services are awful now//

5. SallyUK

SallyUK PetForums Senior

They certainly are Tete.

I really wish there was more I could do to help with the situation.

Sal
    x

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I can understand your frustration. My borough doesn't even have a dog warden.

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

A few months ago a man who my hubby knows from work,had dealings with local dog warden,his dog had got out,was taken to local kennels by dog warden,dog warden did not scan the dog for chip as had not learnt to do that yet !!!!!!

8. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

A few years ago my friend did her work experience with a dog warden in our area. They picked up a bedlington terrier and the dog warden did not know what it was. In his report he put "Dog that looks like a lamb"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice