Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So disappointed!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lizward, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Fiona's kittens were born last night. Fiona is a third generation Tiffanie and I was desperately hoping for my fourth generation - two people I have sold girls to for breeding have now had a fourth generation from my cats, also I was desperate to prove Basil, and I still haven't done either. Yes, still! Two of the kittens are black, which is not possible from that mating, they have to be Danny's. Danny is an outcross for my Burmese, he was eight months old at the time, living in the house, and had not shown any interest in girls. He is not a valid outcross for Asians, and even if he was, you cannot outcross a third generation which is not yet registerable as a full Asian to another breed.

Katie is due any day and of course now I am thinking the same might apply there, hopefully it will be obvious whose kittens they are, but if not (there is some possible overlap) I might have to resort to DNA testing for paternity.

Mitzi has been yelling for two weeks and is living with Nigel. Nigel has done nothing (Nigel x Mitzi would be another way to get my fourth generation), except that yesterday he attacked her, seemingly an unprovoked attack and he has always been such a gentle boy before. If that happens again she is not going to be able to be left with him and since she is bullied by everyone else that is going to make life very difficult. In desperation I put her with Basil a couple of times recently, but he doesn't seem to have succeeded there either.

Basil has a visitor who is clearly in full call and so far he has only growled and hissed at her.

So I have a litter of pretty 3/4 pedigrees, two stud cats (22 months and 13 months) who appear to be completely incompetent, and a ten month old who is fully functional but whom I have no work for until next year. And it looks as if I'm not going to get my fourth generation this year either.

I feel gutted today and almost on the point of giving up!

Liz

#1 lizward, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

awww liz, that must be so dissapointing and a blimmin nightmare! Gutted for you x

I know you joked about the 8mo kitten before, but omfg the little tinker!!!!

Hugs, i dont know what else to say :(
    xx

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It must seem like the end of the world now but there will be a silver lining somewhere. Every time something has pushed me to the edge of giving up something good has come out of it if I've let it.

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Oh dear , what a nightmare! I'm sure you'll carry on but it must be so devastating that all that planning and waiting has been in vain. I do hope that your expected litter from Katie is all that you hope it to be.

5. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Don't give up Liz, I am sorry to hear your problems today.Don't lose heart though you will get there in the end Im sure.

Izzie

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i agree with izzie , dont give up, you WILL get there in the end, xxxxxxxxx:thumbup:

7. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

aww that must be frustrating for you can imagine how you must be feeling but dont give up Im sure all will be well in the end. What a little devil yr 8 month kitten is! Hope the babies are all healthy and mum doing well x

8. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

The first baby was breech and took an awfully long time to come out, he took a couple of breaths but that was it, I couldn't revive him despite trying for some time. The next three came out really quickly but Fiona didn't know what to do with the sacs so I had to break them all. Fortunately she had worked it out by the time she had the fifth one as that was born after I thought she had finished and went to bed. So we have four kittens - black shaded silver, blue shaded and blue girls and a blue boy, they will not exactly be difficult to find homes for and Fiona of course is delighted with them.

Liz

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I like the sound of the black/blue shaded silver ones. Sorry how things have turned out. Maybe next time.

10. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

can we have pictures of them when your not to busy,......................pretty please...................:eek:..:D..:)..

11. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear it, and good luck for next time around.

And I'm loving that you have a cat called Nigel :lol:

12. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Update - and you can all call me an idiot if you like.

The very next day, Katie had just one kitten, black shaded silver.

Now, I was totally convinced that I knew which of the two black shaded silvers was which (they were all in together), and I was bitterly disappointed because the one I was convinced was Katie's, a girl, developed long hair, which would have been next to impossible if Basil was the father.

Eventually, because I was so convinced that Basil had properly mated with Katie, and because Katie's (which was a boy) was so very like Basil in his character, desperately hoping that I just might have mixed the two kittens up, I sent off swabs to Australia for DNA testing. Let any who consider this route be warned, it takes far longer than you expect it to, the kittens are 4.5 months now and I am still awaiting the result!

Just a couple of days ago it occurred to me, perhaps I emailed some group, or posted somewhere, and said what gender the kittens were. So I looked through the posts here and yes, I said that Fiona had a black shaded silver girl.

So, unless I got the gender wrong (not totally impossible at birth, I see I got the gender of one of the blue ones wrong), if Fiona's was a girl, the boy must have been Katie's, in which case he could be Basil's, and if he is, I have just wasted four DNA test fees.

But of course now I have got to wait anyway because there is certainly no point in having come so far and spent so much and then not waiting for the result.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liz

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

oh no lol!!!

I used a place in america for colour dna came back pretty quick, maybe another place woulod be quicker?
    hope it works out the way you want!!

14. LittleStar2010

LittleStar2010 PetForums Junior

15. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Thanks - worth remembering certainly. In this case, though, it would have been about double the price :eek:

Liz

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

thats £40 cheaper than going to my vets, might give it a try

17. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Have I read this correctly? You are allowing two entire male cats access to an in season female? And are then disappointed when the one you don't want to father the kittens does :confused1:

billyboysmammy, dougal22 and Aurelia like this.
  18. Tje

Tje Banned

or maybe the queen in question are one of Liz's queens with free access to the great outdoors. I know nothing of breeding matters... but enough to know any un-neutered female cat could get pregnant by any tom (dick or harry) if they are allowed outdoors.

billyboysmammy likes this.
  19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Tips for avoiding this situation:

Keep entire males away from entire females at all times, even in winter months. As a breeder you should know that females do occasionally call during winter. If they are in the same proximity as males, they may not even appear to call, as a breeder you should know that females in a males company sometimes feel the actual 'call' to be unnecessary.

When you want to breed a specific queen with a specific male after the the correct testing has been done to ensure both are in tip top condition, and are not going to pass of genetic condition ... then and only then put the two together, away from the access of other males/females.

I am astounded at your lazy breeding Liz, I really am. You claim to be an experienced breeder. You actually do a fantastic job of proving my saying right 'Just because you're experienced, doesn't mean you do it right'.

dougal22 and billyboysmammy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice