Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

So confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kiara, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

Hi all
    As most of you are aware im looking for the best food for my dogs.
    Well i am now soooo confused. :confused:
    I have a Jack Russell 6kg bitch un-neutered 9 months
    Border Terrier 8kg bitch un-neutered 12 months, food intollerance, not sure what yet but prob cereal type.
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier 16kg neutered 4yrs.
    I am looking for something with a high meat content preferbly some sort of fish with no cereals, i would prefer dry to wet.
    I can only afford around £30 a month. Maybe £40 at a stretch.

My other threads are;
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/51331-best-food-loose-stools-digestion.html
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...ng-problems-maybe-incontinence-behaviour.html

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i feed mine Arden grange, infact quite a few on here do:D they do a salmon & rice one ,i think its a great food:)

i would have thought a 15kg bag would easily last you a month, if you buy the lamb or chicken varieties they cost around £25, the salmon is more expensive around £30 per bag

#2 noushka05, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Arden grange here aswell
    hceck out ebay for good deals :)

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

There's not many dog foods that don't have cereals of any kind in them but you could have a look at Orijen which is about the best food on the market at the moment. It is a more expensive food but because there are no grains or fillers in it it can work out cheaper to feed as you feed less of it, my shelties are both on it and it's costing me £2.50 a week to feed the pair of them.

Terri

5. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I think ArdenGrange do a grain free fish and potato

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

we feed ours on James wellbeloved whitefish and rice, poppy had a allergy to the meat one so we changed to the fish one, all 3 of my terriers are on this and it is very good.:)

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

8. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Skinners do a "Duck and Rice " which is additive free.
    I pay £18.00 for 15kg

9. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

one bag of arden grange lasts me AGES (about 3 months but I mix with wet, so would obv. last less if only food you give) and as already mentioned can be bought for £25 - £30 per bag.
    I think it is a great food and is hypo-allergenic too :)

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A fish and rice food, Burns or JWB, would be a good starting point. As you say, you don't yet know what your dog is intolerant of. You will have to experiment until you find something that works.

Skinners also do a salmon and rice hypoallergenic, costs £25ish for 15kilos. I use this one. It's good and costs less than Burns or JWB.

Arden grange is a good food for lots of dogs and hypo-allergenic in that it doesn't contain wheat, but some of the mixes contain maize or potato. Some dogs find it difficult to digest these. Your dog might be one, or be fine with them.

What everyone else thinks is best for their dog won't necessarily be the best for yours. Your dog is an individual and you have to start somewhere in finding out what food suits him. Any of the above mentioned fish and rice foods should be a safe first step. Change from his current food gradually over a week. If there has been no improvement in his poos over say a month (his irritated insides will need some time to settle down), then try something else. You can still give the rest of the food to your other dogs. The sooner you start, the better.

11. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Vet recommended Hills for my cocker pups. The breeder had them on supadog which upset their bellies and we tried pedigree chum wet and chudleys dry and they still had the runs.

they have been on Hills for a day now so hoping their stools improve

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

your not going to be spending £30-40 per month if you buy 15kilo bags (£30-40) these last you around 3 - 4 months! so your actually spending around a tenner per month. My dogs are on orijen, though make sure you do not overfeed them :D

13. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Have a look at the Vitalin dog food

14. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Kiara has asked for a food with a high meat content, unfortunately the fish content in all of the foods apart from Orijen is between about 17 and 26 %'

If you bought the Hills from the vet you might like to know that most of them get a kick back from Hills for selling it, it also has guar gum in it, guar gum is an artificial stool hardener.

Terri

15. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Have you thought about raw bones from the butcher ? I get 0.5KG for around 45p
    What about tin sardines, lidl do a cheap tin thats only 35p, mix it with some rice or pasta
    Table scraps ? they are free and the dogs would probably love them.

Nothing nasty in any of the above to worry about food intolerance and all totally natural.

16. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

yes you dont want to be buying Hills

17. Spaniel mad

I have done a thread on what people feed their dogs and the popular one seems to be Arden Grange

18. kenla210

AG is great, without being too expensive. the puppy version is about £30 a 15Kg bag (bearing in mind that Hills is almost double this, and even Bakers was £25 for the same size bag at pets at home when I was there the other week :eek:)
    It's what I feed my cocker spaniel

19. Spaniel mad

My cocker pups are on hills - vet recommended

They were on supadog when i got them but when i brought them home they would not touch it. I introduced pedigree puppy tinnes and chudleys dry, they loved it but had the runs ever since i got them.

Since being on hills their stools are loose but not as runny but i know alot of people on here dont like hills

20. kenla210

I think one of the biggest problems people have with hills is that it is expensive for what it is, for which the majority of vets get a comission on, which is why they are so keen to recommend. It's not the worst food in the world, but Arden grange is cheaper with higher meat content, and more natural (less chemicals in it). Taken from AG site:
    "Arden Grange pet foods are hypoallergenic and contain no wheat gluten, dairy products, beef or soya. Nor do they contain any artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives.
    None of our ingredients are genetically modified."

This said, if you don't mind the cost, and it is working for your pups then I would stick with it - no point in fixing what aint broken. Pedigree chum is slop in a tin, so not surprised it gave your pups the runs. My cocker has a really sensitive stomach and is a nightmare on pedigree and other similar foods - they really don't agree with her

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice